The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eklund: Sharks Talking Trade With Isles, Habs And Bruins

HabbiesMan

I don't think we have the Cap space for Marleau, even if the Sharks were stupid enough to let him go for Plekanec

we would

right now we have 5.9 mill in avaliable space(acccording to nhlnumbers.com)

and pleck 's contract is 1.8 mill

so if pleck is traded we have 7.7 mill more then enough to take on marleaus sallery

and we would have 1.4 mill left to give to price's new contract(next year he is a rfa)

we would

right now we have 5.9 mill in avaliable space(acccording to nhlnumbers.com)

and pleck 's contract is 1.8 mill

so if pleck is traded we have 7.7 mill more then enough to take on marleaus sallery

and we would have 1.4 mill left to give to price's new contract(next year he is a rfa)

We have 5.9 available, but Plekanec's salary isn't included in that as he is a free agent.

So we have 5.9.

I think Plekanec is a solid two way player who will fit nicely into Martin's system and a player we should not give up on. Hes a year removed from a 69 point season. If he can find some of that old chemistry with Kostitsyn they can make a very good second line. I am not interested in Marleau's huge contract.

IMO, the only way we pick up anyone near a $6M cap hit like Marleau, is if we get Hammer off the books. Anyone know if the Sharks are looking to fill any holes on D? Not sure if they'd be interested in another veteran guy since they have Blake next year who already showed he works well with Boyle on the PP.

I completely agree that it is the most plausible way of getting the cap space needed. with his 5.5M added to the 5.9M minus the Marleau contract and contracts to Stewart and D'agostini, as well as Patches contract, you have about 3M left under the cap.

I don't see SJ taking on another big contract when they need the cap space.

I do see Dallas is in need of a veteran D now that Sydor is probably gone.

To Dallas

Hamerlik

3rd rd pick

O'byrne

To Mtl

Grossman (6'3'' 206lbs) comprable to Hamerlik but with a bit of a mean streak, 3 years in the league, an RFA at seasons end cap hit of just under 1M

Okay, heres my question, how many times has hockeybuzz.com gotten any of these things right, or right in the future?? Because im tired of hearing of all these "rumours"(i should say) saying that players and other *****, are talking to us saying that they may come to our team.

well that really isnt that ridiculous cuz plek hasnt done good lately. plus u forgot marleau is already superstar potential. and its worth it to overpay him to come to our team cuz players like him mostly play for money, which we still hav plenty of. so if we end up w/ maybe a million or two left in our bank, then we could still land Dags and some other players down there.

And lastly we can resign him next year anyway. most of our players are already locked up w/ us for the next few years anyway.

I'd rather include Pleks in a deal to bring over Phil Kessel. He'd be cheaper(we'd still have to sign him), he's younger, probably more productive...We might have to give more to aquire him, but I had thought that Boston was ready to get rid of him because of cap reasons, so we might get him for less than he's worth...

Kessel and a 2nd(or a 3rd) for Pleks and a 1st? I'd do it, as we'd have good forwards signed for a while, so losing that one 1st rounder wouldn't hurt too much, and Boston gets a cheap 2nd line center.

i dont think we would get Marleau. he would be to tall for a good player on our team id rather dream about getting pavelski because he is 5"11 and would fit in. but we would have to give more away for him because hes 25

TOO TALL??? WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN??

SINCE WHEN DO U HAVE TO BE THE RIGHT HEIGHT TO BE GOOD???

I completely agree that it is the most plausible way of getting the cap space needed. with his 5.5M added to the 5.9M minus the Marleau contract and contracts to Stewart and D'agostini, as well as Patches contract, you have about 3M left under the cap.

I don't see SJ taking on another big contract when they need the cap space.

I do see Dallas is in need of a veteran D now that Sydor is probably gone.

To Dallas

Hamerlik

3rd rd pick

O'byrne

To Mtl

Grossman (6'3'' 206lbs) comprable to Hamerlik but with a bit of a mean streak, 3 years in the league, an RFA at seasons end cap hit of just under 1M

While I have seen Grossman play and like what he brings to the table, by no means should we be ready to move O'Byrne. One season in which he was horrible mishandled does not a career make. Besides, we've already lost McDonagh. I'm not ready to part with another young defenseman, especially with our current cap situation.

While I have seen Grossman play and like what he brings to the table, by no means should we be ready to move O'Byrne. One season in which he was horrible mishandled does not a career make. Besides, we've already lost McDonagh. I'm not ready to part with another young defenseman, especially with our current cap situation.

I agree, I think O'Byrne will turn out great, but to get the cap space I felt we'd have to give up more than a 3rd rd pick. We might be able to get away if we put in a 2nd instead. But with Weber and PK in the system along with Ficher, our strength is still the depth at the blueline.

I agree, I think O'Byrne will turn out great, but to get the cap space I felt we'd have to give up more than a 3rd rd pick. We might be able to get away if we put in a 2nd instead. But with Weber and PK in the system along with Ficher, our strength is still the depth at the blueline.

i dont think we would get Marleau. he would be to tall for a good player on our team id rather dream about getting pavelski because he is 5"11 and would fit in. but we would have to give more away for him because hes 25

TOO TALL??? WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN??

SINCE WHEN DO U HAVE TO BE THE RIGHT HEIGHT TO BE GOOD???

Ha ha. I think there was some sarcasm there... he was only joking. God help us all if he wasn't. :unsure:

No way Boston sends him our way unless we overpay!

I think you're right, as they were expecting Kaberle and the 7th overall for Kessel, but it was a no go after the draft pick was taken out of the deal.

But a deal for Kessel that included Pleks would benefit Boston, as Pleks is fairly cheap, and effective on the ice in all situations. Kessel would be our 2nd line center for years to come, and I wouldn't mind overpaying in draft picks, as we have some effective players signed for a while.

Archived