The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

This Team Has Heart?

i have been keeping an eye on the new signings and the new coach and listening to whatever i can in the way of interviews, and the feeling i am getting is this team has picked up a lot of heat and soul type players! forget the contracts and the age and term issues for a bit and look at what we have in place. i think with the coach we have now we will have a system that the players can understand not to mention us! and i think we will have a very good team spirit this year. with the talent we have now and waiting in the wings, i feel really good about this season! if it works out we may have somthing special to build from. i loved some of the players we lost and i respect carbo the player but last year really showed us what we were missing i feel it was team spirit or heart or whatever you want to call it, it seems like we have a group who want to be here because they could probably have gone elsewhere if they wanted to what do you guy's think? :D

i have been keeping an eye on the new signings and the new coach and listening to whatever i can in the way of interviews, and the feeling i am getting is this team has picked up a lot of heat and soul type players! forget the contracts and the age and term issues for a bit and look at what we have in place. i think with the coach we have now we will have a system that the players can understand not to mention us! and i think we will have a very good team spirit this year. with the talent we have now and waiting in the wings, i feel really good about this season! if it works out we may have somthing special to build from. i loved some of the players we lost and i respect carbo the player but last year really showed us what we were missing i feel it was team spirit or heart or whatever you want to call it, it seems like we have a group who want to be here because they could probably have gone elsewhere if they wanted to what do you guy's think? :D

FINALY !!!!!!! someone is speak the same language like me, evry time i speak to ppl about how were gonna do its were gonna suck, were to small of a team i mean CMON PPLS we got Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, Mike camellari, J. Spacek great for the PK, Paul Mara A GIANT, Hall Gill ANOTHER GIANT already i could see success with those player with the habs.

all to say were gonna do great this season !!!!!!!!!!!

My hope is high too. If we play like a team which shouldn't be hard now that we have a coach that will teach them a system. I can see this team placing no lower than 5th and possible winning the division. We have good players in key positions that are smart and will do well in a team system. We also have the best fans in the world that make good players, great players.

Guest olddude

It's kind of hard to say for sure, since they have never played together as a team. It looks good on paper, lots of potential, but that's what I thought about last years team as well. IMO the jury is out on this team and we'll just have to wait and see what we get. I think we should at least give them 10 - 15 games before we pass judgement. My biggest concern is for this season is goaltending, I sure hope Carey has it this year.

It's kind of hard to say for sure, since they have never played together as a team. It looks good on paper, lots of potential, but that's what I thought about last years team as well. IMO the jury is out on this team and we'll just have to wait and see what we get. I think we should at least give them 10 - 15 games before we pass judgement. My biggest concern is for this season is goaltending, I sure hope Carey has it this year.

I don't like to single out one player but I have done this myself in the pass. Last season so many players were not on the same page and they didn't come close to becoming a team. My hope is that this will be fixed this year and we will see a real team effert this year. I can understand you not wanting to build up to much hope to soon, but what the h*ll, hope is what you wish for... but don't see at the moment.

It's kind of hard to say for sure, since they have never played together as a team. It looks good on paper, lots of potential, but that's what I thought about last years team as well.

Yea,I hear ya.

We looked good on paper last season too.

If only we had looked into a cystal ball, :lol: There was noooooo way of anyone predicting the lows of this team last season,on or off the ice.

I'm confident that we will over shadow so to speak,last season...and will do ok....we will surprise many skeptics out there.

I have faith in our new habs...go priceeeeeeeeee

I agree, there's a hell of alot more heart, passion and desire to win on this team than last year.

Oh Thank GOD...

Not sure if we picked up heart, time will tell. It does look promising though.

One thing I know for sure, we lost a lot of heart the day Saku singed with the Ducks.

Very true, I'd much rather have Saku on the 2nd line than Plekanec but what can you do. It's Gainey's decision, I don't agree with it but overall I think he did a good job rebuilding the team.

One thing I know for sure, we lost a lot of heart the day Saku singed with the Ducks.

Saku would of been good on this team. he would be the Rod Brind'Amour of the Canes, or the Mike Madono of the Stars, but then again, maybe I'm being sentimental....

Can't wait to see how this new team unfolds. I'm expsecting a lunch pail blue collar full of heart kind of team.

Look at the way the Bruins truned their season around after trading Thorton, picked up key free agents like Savard and Chara.

That's what excites me the most about the signings. Virtually every player that was signed is recognized as being a team player with character. These are guys who know what it takes to win. I'm excited to see how it works out!

We did lose a lot of heart when Saku left. Hopefully, his body will keep up with his heart for a couple of years so that he can enjoy some success in Anaheim.

i loved saku the player but for whatever reason his on ice leadership and determination never seemed to transfer to his teamates and let's face it we sure have cycled a lot of players through here in the last ten or fifteen years! i don't know why it just never gelled! maybe we just never got him the wingers he needed or we just never had the depth offensively to give him the room he needed. i do think he would have rocked as our #2 center this year! but i also want to see if #14 can step it up it would be great if he could because we should have some good centers in the system now or at least in a few years! :D

i loved saku the player but for whatever reason his on ice leadership and determination never seemed to transfer to his teamates and let's face it we sure have cycled a lot of players through here in the last ten or fifteen years! i don't know why it just never gelled! maybe we just never got him the wingers he needed or we just never had the depth offensively to give him the room he needed. i do think he would have rocked as our #2 center this year! but i also want to see if #14 can step it up it would be great if he could because we should have some good centers in the system now or at least in a few years! :D

I think the best winger they paired him up with was Recchi. They had alot of chemistry together its just too bad they didn't have a sniper on the same line because both of them are really playmakers.

I thought the same thing. I keep telling people that injuries were the main problem. Our first line, Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins, missed a third of the season. Our top defensive D, Komisarek, missed about the same amount and looked like he needed more time off when he did return. We lost Dandenault and Lang for nearly half the season. Price missed a good chunk too, and same as Komi, didn't look very good when he did come back.

So what happens this year if we lose Gomez and Gionta for 30 games, lose Price for 10-20 games, lose Mara for 20 games, lose Lapierre and Cammalleri for the last half of the season? That's about what we were looking at last year. Is it any wonder we just hung on and got the final playoff berth?

I think we were doing fine until report card time. Making a point to tell the team and the coaching staff they were doing great was unneccessary. Gainey's time would have been better spent in signing some of the players on for this year. Or did he already have it in his head he was going to replace them all even as he was praising them for how good they were? At any rate, it was around this time that Price returned, and he played horrendously, and the team plummetted in the standings. Nonetheless he kept starting. And we kept losing. I have a gut feeling that it was more Gainey's decision to start Price. He brought him up on to the team prematurely, against Carbo's wishes. He traded Huet basically to force Carbo to play him. I think Gainey was determined Price was the man, and made Carbo play him during this stretch. Finally Carbo played Halak and we started turning it around a bit. He put Price back in, we lost a couple of games, and he was fired. Gainey took over and started Price for the rest of the season. I personally think this is the truth that will come out which Carbonneau referred to.

Looking to the future now, I agree we have a pretty good group of players, with a lot of heart, but I don't think they are any better in that regard than the players we lost. I think we have less depth now and will have to rely on our younger guys like Laps and Tender. But if we have another injury plagued season, we will get the same results...

I thought the same thing. I keep telling people that injuries were the main problem. Our first line, Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins, missed a third of the season. Our top defensive D, Komisarek, missed about the same amount and looked like he needed more time off when he did return. We lost Dandenault and Lang for nearly half the season. Price missed a good chunk too, and same as Komi, didn't look very good when he did come back.

So what happens this year if we lose Gomez and Gionta for 30 games, lose Price for 10-20 games, lose Mara for 20 games, lose Lapierre and Cammalleri for the last half of the season? That's about what we were looking at last year. Is it any wonder we just hung on and got the final playoff berth?

I think we were doing fine until report card time. Making a point to tell the team and the coaching staff they were doing great was unneccessary. Gainey's time would have been better spent in signing some of the players on for this year. Or did he already have it in his head he was going to replace them all even as he was praising them for how good they were? At any rate, it was around this time that Price returned, and he played horrendously, and the team plummetted in the standings. Nonetheless he kept starting. And we kept losing. I have a gut feeling that it was more Gainey's decision to start Price. He brought him up on to the team prematurely, against Carbo's wishes. He traded Huet basically to force Carbo to play him. I think Gainey was determined Price was the man, and made Carbo play him during this stretch. Finally Carbo played Halak and we started turning it around a bit. He put Price back in, we lost a couple of games, and he was fired. Gainey took over and started Price for the rest of the season. I personally think this is the truth that will come out which Carbonneau referred to.

Looking to the future now, I agree we have a pretty good group of players, with a lot of heart, but I don't think they are any better in that regard than the players we lost. I think we have less depth now and will have to rely on our younger guys like Laps and Tender. But if we have another injury plagued season, we will get the same results...

I meant to respond to another user before I inadvertantly hit the "add reply" button. About Carey Price, he has issues he has to address, such as his partying habits, etc. In his defense, they need to put players in front of him who can make the necessary defensive plays. Hopefully, Martin will be able to do this. Will he have a conditioning program to cut down on injuries and does everyone think the players he has are tough enough to avoid unnecessary injuries? Finally, if some members are correct in assessing the team's character, then it will mean the end of the "roll over and play dead" mentality, especially if they fall behind on the scoreboard.

I have deliberately stayed away from the whole Koivu issue because I felt it was very emotionally charged. But now thinking about it, I think they should have kept him on for another year or two, on a second or third line, and still retain his captaincy, until the new players were able to assume full control. It would have been a nice transition, and given Koivu a chance to retire at Hab.

My take on the true value of Koivu doesn't have to do with championships won, scoring records, seniority on the team or anything like that. Where he made his mark is in the intangibles, such as playing hard every night, playing for the most part hurt, being involved in the community, and the inspiration he offered when coming back from cancer. He was pretty much the leader when there wasn't a whole lot here. He was the face of the franchise when there was nobody else. So I give him lots of credit for that. It would have been nice for him to win a Cup here, but even so, all the other things that he has done should be taken in consideration - the so-called big picture.

Fairwell, Captain K, and thanks for the memories just the same.

I have deliberately stayed away from the whole Koivu issue because I felt it was very emotionally charged. But now thinking about it, I think they should have kept him on for another year or two, on a second or third line, and still retain his captaincy, until the new players were able to assume full control. It would have been a nice transition, and given Koivu a chance to retire at Hab.

My take on the true value of Koivu doesn't have to do with championships won, scoring records, seniority on the team or anything like that. Where he made his mark is in the intangibles, such as playing hard every night, playing for the most part hurt, being involved in the community, and the inspiration he offered when coming back from cancer. He was pretty much the leader when there wasn't a whole lot here. He was the face of the franchise when there was nobody else. So I give him lots of credit for that. It would have been nice for him to win a Cup here, but even so, all the other things that he has done should be taken in consideration - the so-called big picture.

i agree with most of the above, but as i stated earlier it just never worked with koivu in the mix, for some reason his own personal leadership skills never seemed to transfer to the rest of the team, :D it was time for him to move as much for the habs as himself! we need a new direction and he needs a fresh start!

My sentiments also,nicely said.

i agree with most of the above, but as i stated earlier it just never worked with koivu in the mix, for some reason his own personal leadership skills never seemed to transfer to the rest of the team, :D it was time for him to move as much for the habs as himself! we need a new direction and he needs a fresh start!

I understand what you are saying. Remember that some people on the team just didn't respond to anyone, including coaches. It was only after Gainey himself got behind the bench that the decision was made for changes. Personally, with the players they brought in, I think they would have responded to Koivu better. We've been around the whole injury thing over and over again, but I believe some guys who were being counted on to step up their game just did not do so when it was needed. Guys like Koivu can only do so much.

One of the things that keeps popping up with Koivu is his amazing return from cancer. At the time it was miraculous and inspirational to the other players on the team. But it has been some time now since that occurred and most of the players that witnessed it are no longer with the team. While we, the fans, still remember it and it still holds great meaning to us, the new players who have been signed don't have such intimate feelings towards Koivu's accomplishment. They weren't there to witness the magic, they only heard about it second hand. This is why playing the cancer card to try to motivate the players just doesn't work anymore. The cancer card has expired. Players need something fresh to get them motivated. Although I don't disagree that Koivu would be a great second line center, I also think that the Habs would never have won the cup with Koivu as captain. Just like Ottawa would never win with Alfredsson as captain.

On the Carey Price topic, I think Paul Mara is going to do wonders for Price. Not just because of his physical presence but because Mara seems like a very supportive person. He will be the guy to give Pricey a little pat on the back when he comes up big, and if Price lets in a few bad ones, Mara will be the one to pick him up and set him right. I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I get from Mara.

Archived