The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nhl Prospect Rankings

Hello there everyone, with the Draft over I have spent a little part of my spare time doing a NHL-wide prospect research and analysis:

Here is a top 75, skater only rankings, done by me of the NHL's top prospects. Keep in mind this list is nowehere as detailed or worked on as my Draft rankings, which I spent weeks if not months working on, this was a matter of days, so if you're going to argue a prospect up or down 3-5 spots, theres a good chance I was just lazy on tuning out the fine details of each prospect. Questions are welcome if not encouraged.

Enjoy

1. Cody Hodgson, Centre, Vancouver Canucks

2. Colin Wilson, Centre, Nashville Predators

3. Alex Pietrangelo, Defence, St.Louis Blues

4. Nikita Filatov, Left Wing, Columbus Blue Jackets

5. Erik Karlsson, Defence, Ottawa Senators

6. Tyler Myers, Defence, Buffalo Sabres

7. John Carlson, Defence, Washington Capitals

8. Jordan Eberle, Centre, Edmonton Oilers

9. Evgeny Grachev, Left Wing, New York Rangers

10. Jonathan Blum, Defence, Nashville Predators

11. Lars Eller, Centre, St.Louis Blues

12. James Van Riemsdyk, Left Wing, Philadelphia Flyers

13. Michael Del Zotto, Defence, New York Rangers

14. Zach Boychuk, Centre, Carolina Hurricanes

15. Tyler Cuma, Defence, Minnesota Wild

16. Joe Colborne, Centre, Boston Bruins

17. PK Subban, Defence, Montreal Canadiens

18. Artem Anisimov, Centre, New York Rangers

19. Logan Couture, Centre, San Jose Sharks

20. Karl Alzner, Defence, Washington Capitals

21. Jamie Benn, Left Wing, Dallas Stars

22. Thomas Hickey, Defence, Los Angeles Kings

23. Eric Tangradi, Left Wing, Pittsburgh Penguins

24. Jake Gardiner, Defence, Anaheim Ducks

25. Mikael Backlund, Centre, Calgary Flames

26. Kevin Shattenkirk, Defence, Colorado Avalanche

27. Nathan Gerbe, Centre, Buffalo Sabres

28. Jamie McBain, Defence, Carolina Hurricanes

29. Patrick Wiercioch, Defence, Ottawa Senators

30. Brett MacLean, Left Wing, Phoenix Coyotes

31. Cameron Gaunce, Defence, Colorado Avalanche

32. Max Pacioretty, Left Wing, Montreal Canadiens

33. Maxim Goncharov, Defence, Phoenix Coyotes

34. Colton Teubert, Defence, Los Angeles Kings

35. Brandon Sutter, Centre, Carolina Hurricanes

36. Ben Maxwell, Centre, Montreal Canadiens

37. Brad Marchand, Centre, Boston Bruins

38. Cody Franson, Defence, Nashville Predators

39. Mitch Wahl, Centre, Calgary Flames

40. Drayson Bowman, Left Wing, Carolina Hurricanes

41. Greg Nemisz, Right Wing, Calgary Flames

42. Mark Mitera, Defence, Anaheim Ducks

43. Riley Nash, Centre, Edmonton Oilers

44. Aaron Ness, Defence, New York Islanders

45. Tyler Ennis, Centre, Buffalo Sabres

46. Cody Goloubef, Defence, Columbus Blue Jackets

47. Ryan McDonaugh, Defence, New York Rangers

48. Shawn Matthias, Centre, Florida Panthers

49. Luke Adam, Left Wing, Buffalo Sabres

50. Ivan Vishnevskiy, Defence, Dallas Stars

51. Derek Stepan, Centre, New York Rangers

52. Jakub Kindl, Defence, Detroit Red Wings

53. Nicklas Bergfors, Right Wing, New Jersey Devils

54. Ryan Stoa, Centre, Colorado Avalanche

55. Jeff Petry,Defence, Edmonton Oilers

56. Maxim Mayorov, Right Wing, Columbus Blue Jackets

57. Kyle Beach, Left Wing, Chicago Blackhawks

58. Yannick Weber, Defence, Montreal Canadiens

59. Jack Skille, Right Wing, Chicago Blackhawks

60. Ian Cole, Defence, St. Louis Blues

61. Vyacheslav Voinov,Defence, Los Angeles Kings

62. Luca Caputi, Left Wing, Pittsburgh Penguins

63. Justin Abdelkader, Centre, Detroit Red Wings

64. Keaton Ellerby, Defence, Florida Panthers

65. Spencer Machacek, Right Wing, Atlanta Thrashers

66. Mattias Tedenby, Left Wing, New Jersey Devils

67. Colton Sceviour, Right Wing, Dallas Stars

68. Chris Summers, Defence, Phoenix Coyotes

69. Patrice Cormier, Centre, New Jersey Devils

70. Matt Corrente, Defence, New Jersey Devils

71. Michael Grabner, Right Wing, Vancouver Canucks

72. Ty Wishart, Defence, Tampa Bay Lightning

73. Bobby Sanguinetti, Defence, New York Rangers

74. Angelo Esposito, Centre, Atlanta Thrashers

75. Ilya Zubov, Centre, Ottawa Senators

Things to note, on Hockeys Future Pacioretty was the only ranked Hab (albeit what they define a "prospect" is beyond me) and on the THN Paciortty was 10, Subban 15, McDonaugh 37 and Daggers 41.

Seems to me that you put quite some time into this. Good job. Can't dispute much on that list as I hardly know that much about other teams prospects. Heck, there are some names that are entirely new to me, hehe.

And to think that John Carlson might have been our pick, had we not traded it for Tanguay... ugh.

Seems to me that you put quite some time into this. Good job. Can't dispute much on that list as I hardly know that much about other teams prospects. Heck, there are some names that are entirely new to me, hehe.

And to think that John Carlson might have been our pick, had we not traded it for Tanguay... ugh.

I think the thing people need to heed, which is why I bolded it, is that Ryan McDonaugh is simply not that good.

He has the good "package" he has great skating ability, good offensive awareness, good shot blah blah blah, but hes not a great hockey player, hes good, but hes not the definete top pairing dman everyone thinks he is.

I don't want to be rude but..... I don't even understand why Ben Maxwell is part of that list.

Maxwell over D'Agostini ?

I'm really lost.

Ben Maxwell is on that list because he is a good prospect, D'Agostini is not on it because hes not. D'Ags may be on an NHL club now, but for his age and draft date, he better have been.

Looks like a good list overall, but... Cody Hodgson the #1 prospect in the NHL? I must be missing something. Is it because of his WJC performance? Even my hockey knowledgeable Canucks fan friends tell me that he is overrated and will be a career 2nd line center.

Cody Hodgson is a very dynamic player.He may not leaad the league in scoring, but in terms of everything he brings to the table, hes #1 in my opinoin.

However on that note, you can make a case for any of Cody, Colin, Alex or Nikita being #1.

I think the thing people need to heed, which is why I bolded it, is that Ryan McDonaugh is simply not that good.

He has the good "package" he has great skating ability, good offensive awareness, good shot blah blah blah, but hes not a great hockey player, hes good, but hes not the definete top pairing dman everyone thinks he is.

Well that makes me feel better about trading him and it looks like that Gomez deal isn't so bad after all.

Your opinion.

Timmins thought highly of him, Glen Sather thought highly of him, and the GM of the Minnesota Wild thought highly of him, specifically saying "I'm interested in Ryan McDonagh" back in the days of the Marian Gaborik rumours.

He performed well at the world junior championships last year. Top +/- on his team, being top +/- on a team is usually a good indicator.

In a few years we'll see for sure.

Your opinion.

Timmins thought highly of him, Glen Sather thought highly of him, and the GM of the Minnesota Wild thought highly of him, specifically saying "I'm interested in Ryan McDonagh" back in the days of the Marian Gaborik rumours.

He performed well at the world junior championships last year. Top +/- on his team, being top +/- on a team is usually a good indicator.

facepalm.jpg

Yes Roy, it's ignorant to use some of the best information available.

Good thinking roy.

You come off as stoned with that comment.

Wow. +/- is some of the best information available? It's a terrible stat anytime, but when used in the context of a SEVEN game sample? LOL.

Just wow...

Wow. +/- is some of the best information available? It's a terrible stat anytime, but when used in the context of a SEVEN game sample? LOL.

Just wow...

Obviously if he had 60 games of AHL experience I would point to that,

Do you have a parallel reality machine ready?

"LOL"

What we do have are two seasons of NCAA, some high school before that and a world junior championships.

"LOL"

What we do have are two seasons of NCAA, some high school before that and a world junior championships.

So because we don't have a parallel reality machine let's use one of the worst measures of a player over a tiny sample size? OK. You do see the flaws with +/- right? Like I don't understand your point (If you have one).

The stats you've posted prove absolutely nothing.

Your opinion.

A good indicator of what? Of being on the ice when your team scored goals more than the other team? It tells nothing of how the individual did, just how the team when the individual was there, whether it correlates or not.

I hope you've learnt by now that I don't give a damn what hockey executives say in reference to using Sather, Timmins and Risenborough as support for your argument, I've outlined my argument against McD.

Yes Roy, it's ignorant to use some of the best information available.

Good thinking roy.

You come off as stoned with that comment.

When did I wake up and +- was the best ready information? Isn't that sad in a sense?

This isn`t great info either, but McD was outscored by 3 other defenseman on his team, 1 was a 07 pick and the other a 08. Also anothe 08 pick whose known as a shutdown guy in Goloubef has the same amount of goals and 3 less helpers in the same number of games. As a guy known for his offense, McD didn`t show that high-end ability this year at all.

"LOL"

Yet you didn`t use any of that, merely the 7 game sample. BTW the NCAA is about the same quality as the AHL.

interesting how this is turning into the 'mcdonaugh' thread!

I will just chip in with this: we all seem to put a lot of faith in Timmins & the development crew when we draft players like McDonaugh - who have gone at a higher ranking than any of the scouting agencies had them pegged. Whats odd is that when we deal them (McDonaugh, Hossa - heck, people even complained when we moved Balej!!) we somehow loose faith in that same drafting & development team.

I have 100% confidence that Gainey consulted with Timmins & co before moving McDonaugh. I doubt they would have moved him as part of this deal if they truly felt he was the same player they thought he could be when they drafted him. Initially I think they were hoping for a top pairing dman...and he seems to be developing into a #3-4 guy. Time will tell, but I still have faith in our development team.

I will just chip in with this: we all seem to put a lot of faith in Timmins & the development crew when we draft players like McDonaugh - who have gone at a higher ranking than any of the scouting agencies had them pegged. Whats odd is that when we deal them (McDonaugh, Hossa - heck, people even complained when we moved Balej!!) we somehow loose faith in that same drafting & development team.

I have 100% confidence that Gainey consulted with Timmins & co before moving McDonaugh. I doubt they would have moved him as part of this deal if they truly felt he was the same player they thought he could be when they drafted him. Initially I think they were hoping for a top pairing dman...and he seems to be developing into a #3-4 guy. Time will tell, but I still have faith in our development team.

I'm not so sure about the developement team. I have faith in the drafting team but when it comes to development, it doesn't look that great to me. Like I keep hearing how we have so many good prospects but very few of them actually developed into wha I thought they would. However, just my opinion :D

A good indicator of what? Of being on the ice when your team scored goals more than the other team? It tells nothing of how the individual did, just how the team when the individual was there, whether it correlates or not.

I hope you've learnt by now that I don't give a damn what hockey executives say in reference to using Sather, Timmins and Risenborough as support for your argument, I've outlined my argument against McD.

When did I wake up and +- was the best ready information? Isn't that sad in a sense?

This isn`t great info either, but McD was outscored by 3 other defenseman on his team, 1 was a 07 pick and the other a 08. Also anothe 08 pick whose known as a shutdown guy in Goloubef has the same amount of goals and 3 less helpers in the same number of games. As a guy known for his offense, McD didn`t show that high-end ability this year at all.

Yet you didn`t use any of that, merely the 7 game sample. BTW the NCAA is about the same quality as the AHL.

I thought he was more of a stay-at-home defenceman than an offensive one.

I wasn't a fan of Ryan when he was drafted. I never said anything concerning the draft and development team, I think they've done a fine job. Upon further review (I rushed this prospect list as I noted) I may have put Ryan a little too low, he could move up like 5 spots, but still hes a 3-4 as you elude to.

People always overrate prospects, its part of sports (especially whn you don't follow the leagues prospects as context to compare onto). Which is why people complain when they are traded.

I'd hope Gainey consulted Timmins, and I believe Timmins said at some point this year he was not pleased with Ryan's development.

I thought he was more of a stay-at-home defenceman than an offensive one.

Hes reliable in his own zone but his bread and butter is supposed to be in the other one.

I've used it in other places. I didn't feel like making the same point.

Actually, Timmins criticized the trade publicly.

The stats you've posted prove absolutely nothing.

I think this comment demonstrates your lack of comprehension. You are implying that stats need to "prove" something. Stats do not "prove" things. They provide evidence, "confidence", and some stats provide more evidence than others.

In a given situation, one uses the best stats available. If those stats are weak then one still has to maintain the conclusion of those stats, only with low confidence.

So because we don't have a parallel reality machine let's use one of the worst measures of a player over a tiny sample size? OK. You do see the flaws with +/- right? Like I don't understand your point (If you have one).

Exactly, you try to go with the best information available.

Of course now I realize there was slightly better information available. The judgment of the people who select Team USA. They have expertise and they have a lot of information on hand and the time to watch a lot of games. McDonagh made their top 6. That's something, hard to quantify however.

No, I'm not claiming it's "proof". The exact word, look above, is "something".

I think this comment demonstrates your lack of comprehension. You are implying that stats need to "prove" something. Stats do not "prove" things. They provide evidence, "confidence", and some stats provide more evidence than others.

In a given situation, one uses the best stats available. If those stats are weak then one still has to maintain the conclusion of those stats, only with low confidence.

Exactly, you try to go with the best information available.

Of course now I realize there was slightly better information available. The judgment of the people who select Team USA. They have expertise and they have a lot of information on hand and the time to watch a lot of games. McDonagh made their top 6. That's something, hard to quantify however.

No, I'm not claiming it's "proof". The exact word, look above, is "something".

I think you arguing that +/- as even evidence displays your lack of comprehension for either how the stat works, or how to measure a player at all. It tells us ABSOLUTELY nothing, not even the slightest bit about his ability to play or how he played in this very short tournament. I'll tell you what I don't comprehend, I don't comprehend how anyone can honestly bring this stat up as evidence, ever. Period. It's a horrible stat and it's even worse over a small sample. It's nothing, a waste of bandwith to even post.

The judgment of team USA suggests that he's one of the 6 best American born defenseman (at the time) who is eligible to play. First of all, the list doesn't really dispute that so I don't even see why you'd bring it up. Second, as most people know the US World Junior team isn't selecting the best prospect, they're selecting the best player ATM within the age specification they can. Doesn't mean he has a higher ceiling than some guy's left off the team, therefore it doesn't necessarily mean he's a better prospect.

I understand using the best stats available, I love stats (not to the degree moneypuck does) but you've chose for whatever reason to use one of the worst stats and on top of that over an incredibly small sample size.

Actually, Timmins criticized the trade publicly.

My bad - I just looked up the Habs I/O audio interview with Timmins. Although in fairness, I dont know if Id call it "publicly criticizing" but he did sound sorry to hear McDonaugh go. Whether or not he felt the deal was a good one (you have to give something to get something) is not apparent, nor do I think Timmins would speak about such things that are not really his business.

That said, this is an isolated incident - I dont remember Timmins being heartbroken over us dealing other prospects in the past - and that was part of my original post - that we collectively put so much value in our scouting & yet we then get upset when they sign off on trades.

Archived