The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Top 5 Overvalued Ufa Signings Of 2009

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/NHL/Content...&date=False

Top 5 Overvalued Free Agent Signings of 2009

Several players made off like bandits this free agency season – receiving contracts that were out of line with their past performances. Here are the top 5.

1. Brian Gionta, RW, Montreal

The little man with a big heart – and an even bigger contract.

On July 1, Gionta signed a 5-year/$25 million contract with the Habs. Unfortunately for the likeable Gionta, he will be hard-pressed to live up to the huge expectations. $5 million is the salary given to first-line players – and Gionta is not a legitimate first-liner.

Gionta scored just 20 goals last season with the Devils, and has seen his production decline each year since he potted 48 goals in 2005-06. At the age of 30, we can safely surmise that Gionta's 48-goal season was an aberration. He hasn't scored more than 25 in any other campaign. Simply put, Gionta is a good player, not a great one.

Several other players made off like bandits this free agency season – receiving contracts that were out of line with their past performances. Here are the remaining players who comprise the Top 5 most overvalued free agents of the summer.

2. Marian Hossa, RW, Chicago

Hossa is Chicago's $62.8 million man, with Hawks paying him that amount over the next 12 years. The cap hit of $5.2 million is manageable in the first few years, but once Hossa's production starts to decline it will become a problem.

Of course, Hossa isn't exactly known for producing in the clutch. He's had only one great playoff in his career, and last season was a huge bust in the Cup Final. The Hawks, we think, signed Hossa to help them to the next level. The money would have been better spent on a player with a more solid post-season record.

We should also mention that Hossa hasn't even skated for his new team, and already he's injured. The talented winger was scheduled for shoulder surgery and isn't expected to play until December.

3. Mike Komisarek, D, Toronto

GM Brian Burke is making the Leafs over in his own image. His club is getting, bigger, stronger and meaner.

Komisarek is a big part of this makeover, but at $4.5 million a season for the next five years he is vastly overpaid. He doesn't contribute much offensively, isn't a factor on the power play, and is prone to giving the puck away.

Maple Leaf fans will either love Komisarek or loathe him. They'll cheer when he punishes the opposition with thunderous hits and boo when he turns the puck over. With his big salary, Leaf Nation will not be patient with Komisarek.

4. Marian Gaborik, RW, NY Rangers

The Rangers have a history of overpaying free agents, and they've done it again by signing Gaborik to a five-year contract at $7.5 million annually.

Gaborik is a supremely talented player whose career has been derailed by injuries. He's averaged only 52 games played each season since the lockout. His injuries haven't been of the freak variety either. Gaborik has had chronic groin, hip and back problems for several years now. The chances of him staying healthy for a full season are slim.

There are those who'll argue that a healthy Gaborik for 50 games will deliver more production than most players. That may be true, but it still doesn't justify his $7.5 million salary.

5. Chris Neil, RW, Ottawa

Neil is a fan favourite in Ottawa, which is presumably the reason GM Bryan Murray gave the enforcer $8 million over four years.

Once upon a time Neil had a scorer's touch – he scored 28 goals in the first two years following the lockout. But the past two years have been a different story. He has only nine goals over that span and has had trouble staying healthy.

Neil is a willing combatant – I've always admired his courage – but one has to wonder how much longer he'll be able to answer the bell against the league's heavyweights.

Jeff Mackie has covered the NHL for thehockeynews.com, and covered the OHL and AHL for Canadian Press.

Several players made off like bandits this free agency season – receiving contracts that were out of line with their past performances. Here are the top 5.

On July 1, Gionta signed a 5-year/$25 million contract with the Habs. Unfortunately for the likeable Gionta, he will be hard-pressed to live up to the huge expectations. $5 million is the salary given to first-line players – and Gionta is not a legitimate first-liner.

Gionta scored just 20 goals last season with the Devils, and has seen his production decline each year since he potted 48 goals in 2005-06. At the age of 30, we can safely surmise that Gionta's 48-goal season was an aberration. He hasn't scored more than 25 in any other campaign. Simply put, Gionta is a good player, not a great one.

Several other players made off like bandits this free agency season – receiving contracts that were out of line with their past performances. Here are the remaining players who comprise the Top 5 most overvalued free agents of the summer.

Hossa is Chicago's $62.8 million man, with Hawks paying him that amount over the next 12 years. The cap hit of $5.2 million is manageable in the first few years, but once Hossa's production starts to decline it will become a problem.

Of course, Hossa isn't exactly known for producing in the clutch. He's had only one great playoff in his career, and last season was a huge bust in the Cup Final. The Hawks, we think, signed Hossa to help them to the next level. The money would have been better spent on a player with a more solid post-season record.

We should also mention that Hossa hasn't even skated for his new team, and already he's injured. The talented winger was scheduled for shoulder surgery and isn't expected to play until December.

GM Brian Burke is making the Leafs over in his own image. His club is getting, bigger, stronger and meaner.

Komisarek is a big part of this makeover, but at $4.5 million a season for the next five years he is vastly overpaid. He doesn't contribute much offensively, isn't a factor on the power play, and is prone to giving the puck away.

Maple Leaf fans will either love Komisarek or loathe him. They'll cheer when he punishes the opposition with thunderous hits and boo when he turns the puck over. With his big salary, Leaf Nation will not be patient with Komisarek.

The Rangers have a history of overpaying free agents, and they've done it again by signing Gaborik to a five-year contract at $7.5 million annually.

Gaborik is a supremely talented player whose career has been derailed by injuries. He's averaged only 52 games played each season since the lockout. His injuries haven't been of the freak variety either. Gaborik has had chronic groin, hip and back problems for several years now. The chances of him staying healthy for a full season are slim.

There are those who'll argue that a healthy Gaborik for 50 games will deliver more production than most players. That may be true, but it still doesn't justify his $7.5 million salary.

Neil is a fan favourite in Ottawa, which is presumably the reason GM Bryan Murray gave the enforcer $8 million over four years.

Once upon a time Neil had a scorer's touch – he scored 28 goals in the first two years following the lockout. But the past two years have been a different story. He has only nine goals over that span and has had trouble staying healthy.

Neil is a willing combatant – I've always admired his courage – but one has to wonder how much longer he'll be able to answer the bell against the league's heavyweights.

Jeff Mackie has covered the NHL for thehockeynews.com, and covered the OHL and AHL for Canadian Press.

Gionta isnt the most significantly overpaid player....yeah its a bit too much, but we are desperate for players like him; A solid 60 point scorer, who is now lining up with Gomez and both had there career years with eachother (05-06 season).

Chris Neil is a player Montreal also needed. A player who can bring grit and somewhat of NHL caliber skill. 2 mil a season is all that bad, but i wouldnt have gone over 1.5. But he isnt an awful signing. I think he's a good signing for Ottawa. He's a force for the team.

1. Jay Bouwmeester - I know he signed on the 30th because Calgary traded for rights. But I call it a free agent signing. Jay is worth 4.5 mil in my books. Not a 6 mil guy. You look at guys like Pavel Datsyuk and Zetterberg to be 6-6.5 mill. But Jay is probably most over-rated hockey player in the NHL. Let's get real. Who would you rather build a team around? Bouwmeester or Datsyuk? Jay or Zetterberg? Sorry Calgary, this guy only got 40-some points in the high scoring eastern conference....

2. Mike Komisarek - 4.5 is a no no for Kommy. He is a great enforcer out on the ice, but he is by far the worst thinker (besides Pronger) in the game today. He has a very bad defensive mindset. Great hiiter, big body....but not a top 4 dman in my books.

3. Marian Gaborik - As much as i loooove Gabby and the way he plays, 7.5 mil for FIVE seasons is just insane. this guy has yet to play a full season in the NHL since 02-03. Amazing player, pure goal scorer, someone Montreal needed. But I would only pay him a maximum of 5.75 mil contract because of history of injury.

4. Marian Hossa - I'm not a fan of Hossa. He's a great player and all but i dont see him perform night in and night out. The contract he signed was too long. 5.17 mil doesnt sound like its a bad signing, but its an EXTREMELY long deal. I would pay 6 mil every year for 4 years. No long term with Hossa is a good signing because of his lack of heart and passion for the game.

5. Shane O'Brien - I know what you guys are thinking when i have this guy down. 1.6 mil isnt much, but for this player its a freakin blessing. He's an unreal leader for the team (judging by his interviews) but player wise? No. He's a 6th player dman

(who should be paid maximum 1 mil) who couldnt score one goal for his team BUT i would have him rather than Laraque any day of the week. Laraque was the worst signing for my Habs in the new milenium.

So those are my top 5, let me know what you think!

You can't really tell what over-valued is relative to a new contract until said player plays under his current contract.

+1

On paper Im not fond of Gionta or Gill's contracts - but I will not say a single bad thing about them until ive given them some games to prove me wrong.

Gionta scored just 20 goals last season with the Devils, and has seen his production decline each year since he potted 48 goals in 2005-06.

Incorrect...slightly,

Goals per 100 minutes

06-07 07-08 08-09

2.14 1.47 1.45

Points per 100 minutes

06-07 07-08 08-09

3.86 3.54 4.37

In terms of point production, his last year may have been the best year since his huge 05-06 season. The declining goal production may be a concern, but I can assure all of you, that a large portion of that is due to random luck. Brian shoots a career 11.3 %, the last two years he shot just over 8%. While that may be a slight sign of decline I highly doubt a falloff that great. If Brian can even shoot 9.5 % this year with 250 shots that would be 24 goals, if he shoots his career average he can hit 28 goals.

You can't really tell what over-valued is relative to a new contract until said player plays under his current contract.

In a sense, ya, it's all about if they live up to it or not.

However, I don't see a problem with judging overvalued contracts based on their player beforehand (since it's the play beforehand that earns you that contract).

On paper Im not fond of Gionta or Gill's contracts - but I will not say a single bad thing about them until I've given them some games to prove me wrong.

I agree also.

Hey,the way I see it,if Gionta racks up the points for us,and performs above & beyond....

Well then,money well spent.

Anyways,about time BG start putting money out there,I always figured that if we ever wanted a big name/star on this team,that we would have to overpay,for once.....let's just wait & see if it was worth doing so.

I guess we'll have all season to discuss this in his player thread,you know it'll be brought up.

I agree also.

Hey,the way I see it,if Gionta racks up the points for us,and performs above & beyond....

Well of course, but you can't really expect a guy to perform "above & beyond".

With our acquisitions this year, I see it as:

Gomez: overpaid relative to the rest of the league, and basically impossible for him to live up to the contract.

Gionta: overpaid based on his past few seasons

Cammy: fair deal for a guy who has had two great seasons in the past three years and still has potentially untapped upside. There is some risk, but overall I think this was probably about what he was worth

Mara: good deal if what others say about him is true

Spacek: little on the high side, and has that "against the cap no matter what" provision due to his age, but he's coming off a great season and should be a key player. Overall I'm okay with this.

Gill: I don't really want to pass judgment. He's the type of player who is very frustrating at times, but he should fit in well under Martin. In any case though, over 2 million seems a little on the high side.

Moen: I generally don't like giving roleplayers deals like this, but at least he should do his job really well. If it weren't for Laraque's contract, I'd mind this one less.

Agreed,did not mean to suggest that I expected it.

Like you say,Gionta is overpaid based on his last few seasons, 60pts last season,53 the year before & 45pts 3 yrs ago.

I guessing he'll be up around say,65pts this season....ya I realize that No. doesn't refect his $$$$$$

With our acquisitions this year, I see it as:

Gomez: overpaid relative to the rest of the league, and basically impossible for him to live up to the contract.

Gionta: overpaid based on his past few seasons

Cammy: fair deal for a guy who has had two great seasons in the past three years and still has potentially untapped upside. There is some risk, but overall I think this was probably about what he was worth

Mara: good deal if what others say about him is true

Spacek: little on the high side, and has that "against the cap no matter what" provision due to his age, but he's coming off a great season and should be a key player. Overall I'm okay with this.

Gill: I don't really want to pass judgment. He's the type of player who is very frustrating at times, but he should fit in well under Martin. In any case though, over 2 million seems a little on the high side.

Moen: I generally don't like giving roleplayers deals like this, but at least he should do his job really well. If it weren't for Laraque's contract, I'd mind this one less.

Agreed. Only reason why we got Gomez was because we had the money and he was a type of player we needed. We also gave Gionta a bit too much money because again, we had the money. Gill is very frustrating, but when he's on his A-game he's a shut down d man. Incredible to watch sometimes. Moen signing was a bit unnecessary but he's a great replacement for laraque. Spacek is a bit overpaid but was needed. Mara was a good signing and i couldnt say enough on how much we needed to sign my buddy Cammy.

In Bob We Trust.

Of all the players signed by Bob Gainey Gionta is the one I'm overjoyed by. I'm so glad Montreal finally has an amazing player. I think this guy is supremely underrated and will prove everyone wrong as far as what they expect from him. Finally we got some very talented, resilient, creative, and smart players. We should get more players like Gionta and Cammalleri: like Martin St Louis and Dustin Brown - Bob get these guys.

I agree also.

Anyways,about time BG start putting money out there,I always figured that if we ever wanted a big name/star on this team,that we would have to overpay,for once.....let's just wait & see if it was worth doing so.

agreed. i don't know if i consider gionta a star (gomez, yes) but i'm more than willing to see how this upgraded team comes together before i start counting dollars and cents. i can't remember the last time fans were happy with the money spent at the time it was spent. rather than expecting him to live up to unrealistic expectations, if gionta does what is asked of him than i won't complain about his paycheck.

I guess we'll have all season to discuss this in his player thread,you know it'll be brought up.

lol. dare i predict that to be the understatement of the (off)season? he hasn't played a game for us and it's all people are talking about... :P:lol:

Archived