The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2009-10 If I Were GM

fourtrax

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Tampa buying out Vinny Prospal, once he has cleared waivers and is declared a UFA, perhaps BG will have a look at what he could bring to the table.

I know he did not have a great season playing for the Lightning after signing a 4 year contract, but that was not a great team anyway you look at it.

Like Sykora or Satan, players like this could be a bust or a player wanting to rebound and give it their best shot as a last chance in the NHL.

None of the above would be my first choice in most situations going forward, but there could be possibility under the right circumstances... we never know.

Still waiting for the cards to fall with SJS... if they fall at all in the Habs direction.

If I'm GM I'm not finished tinkering with the line-up... I would welcome trade talks regarding a top-six forward and top-four d-man that shoots right.

I'm seriously looking to rid the team of Laraque and his 1.5 million contract. I'm looking to resolve the Price/Halak situation some time this season. I would be willing to part with some of our young talent if it could make the team better.

Out of the remaining UFA's Eklund (I know :rolleyes: ) says that the Habs are interested in:

Dennis Sidenberg

Petr Sykora

Brendan Shanahan

Mathieu Scheinder

Blair Betts

Not one of these players seems likely apart from Betts because he is cheap and could bring size to the bottom of the line-up. The rest are either too old (Shanny and Scheinder) or asking for too much (Sidenberg and Sykora). Why does Eklund do this?

Out of the remaining UFA's Eklund (I know :rolleyes: ) says that the Habs are interested in:

Dennis Sidenberg

Petr Sykora

Brendan Shanahan

Mathieu Scheinder

Blair Betts

Not one of these players seems likely apart from Betts because he is cheap and could bring size to the bottom of the line-up. The rest are either too old (Shanny and Scheinder) or asking for too much (Sidenberg and Sykora). Why does Eklund do this?

Most likely for Popularity, or maybe just to tick people off.

Sign Gonchar, Marleau and Hejduk as UFAs next season :lol:

To Montreal: Mike Green

To Washington: George Laraque, 1st, 2nd, 4th round draft pick+1 prospect

To Montreal: Brad Boyes

To St.Louis: Andrei Kostitsyn, 1st round draft pick 2011+1 prospect

To Montreal: Vincent Lecavlier

To Tampa Bay: Roman Hamrlik, Jaroslav Halak and Scott Gomez (2010-2011 season so Gomez can play 1 season with Montreal)

To Montreal: Pierre-Marc Bouchard

To Minnesota: Tomas Plekanec

2010-2011 season lines:

Line 1: Lecavlier-Marleau-Cammalleri :lol:

Green-Gonchar

Line 2: Boyes-Gionta-Hejduk :lol:

Markov-Spacek

Line 3: Bouchard-Lapierre-S.Kostitsyn :lol:

Mara-Skoula

Line 4: Metropolit-Latendresse-Moen :lol:

Gill-Georges

Miroslav Satan would be nice to have on our team and so would Ryane Clowe, but I think that having Brad Boyes and Milan Hejduk would be better :lol:

i think at the deadline we should trade plek and halak for marleau then sign him to an extension

Woulden't it be better to save Plekanec and Halak to trade somewhere and wait 1 season and then sign Marleau as an UFA

Sign Gonchar, Marleau and Hejduk as UFAs next season :lol:

To Montreal: Mike Green

To Washington: George Laraque, 1st, 2nd, 4th round draft pick+1 prospect

To St.Louis: Andrei Kostitsyn, 1st round draft pick 2011+1 prospect

To Tampa Bay: Roman Hamrlik, Jaroslav Halak and Scott Gomez (2010-2011 season so Gomez can play 1 season with Montreal)

2010-2011 season lines:

Green-Gonchar

Markov-Spacek

Line 3: Bouchard-Lapierre-S.Kostitsyn :lol:

Mara-Skoula

Line 4: Metropolit-Latendresse-Moen :lol:

Gill-Georges

Miroslav Satan would be nice to have on our team and so would Ryane Clowe, but I think that having Brad Boyes and Milan Hejduk would be better :lol:

Woulden't it be better to save Plekanec and Halak to trade somewhere and wait 1 season and then sign Marleau as an UFA

:blink: ...no seriously :blink:

um...in gainey i trust...

What do you mean by

" :blink: ...no seriously : :blink: :

um... im gainey i trust"?????????

yeah what A.K.46 said *facepalm* ... i dont know if youre serious about those trades/lines, but i just dont see them happening and really im not sold on them...washington isnt giving up green for laraque and some picks...gonchar would cost what? 3-5 million so we arent really getting any cap space back if we sign him and get rid hammer...you want to send gomez for vinny thats more or less the same cap hit but for more years :s...you get rid of halak so now we're stuck with sanford as price's back up (yikes)...you want to sign marleau during a time when we have to sign price and think about signing markov at the end of the season...where is the money going to come from for all this :s...i just dont get it :s as a gm i wouldnt make the moves...

Sign Gonchar, Marleau, Hejduk and Corvo as UFAs next season :lol:

To St.Louis: Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, 1st round draft pick 2011+1 prospect

To Tampa Bay: Roman Hamrlik, Jaroslav Halak and Scott Gomez (2010-2011 season so Gomez can play 1 season with Montreal) and a 1st round draft pick 2010

2010-2011 season lines:

Markov-Gonchar

Mara-Spacek

Line 3: Bouchard-Lapierre-Moen :lol:

Corvo-Skoula

Line 4: Metropolit-Latendresse-Chipchura:lol:

Gill-Georges

P.S. You don't have to re-sign Markov for another few years, he dosen't become a UFA until the 2011-2012 season

Better???????

i think he means something like this

blurb_facepalm2_20090622.jpg

Then the bear must be crazy

Better???????

While no one wants to discourage you from posting your trade ideas, this is real-life pro hockey, not fantasy team-building or a video game. Gainey has just made a ton of sweeping changes to the team. It's very unlikely that he'll radically revamp the team further in the manner you've suggested (particularly now that Lecavalier's NTC has kicked in).

If I were G.M. (and/or coach) I would... [dream squence music kicks in] :lol:

• Attempt to get deals for Gregory Stewart and Matt D'Agostini done.
  • Take a long look at Ben Maxwell during training camp and evaluate whether or not he can play and 2nd line center minutes this season.
  • Build some value for Jaroslav Halak on the trade market by giving him games early in the season.
  • Decide what's happening with the team captaincy.

If I were G.M. (and/or coach) I would... [dream squence music kicks in] :lol:

[*]Attempt to get deals for Gregory Stewart and Matt D'Agostini done.

I guess, you won't get much for them though most likely, IMO I hold onto them.

[*]Take a long look at Ben Maxwell during training camp and evaluate whether or not he can play and 2nd line center minutes this season.

I like, although if he could play 3rd line minutes its good also, apparently he can play wing if needed.

[*]Build some value for Jaroslav Halak on the trade market by giving him games early in the season.

Not smart IMO, the goalie market is dead, its a complete buyers market you won't get much for Jaro and you're just mortaging games by putting the inferior goalie in.

Get rid of Carbo. Hey our team should be better for 2009-10 with an experienced coach. Get rid of lots of old players. It is easy to be the GM. BG has already done most of the hard work by canning Carbo and not re-signing any of the 10 UFAs.

Now that BG has done most of the hard work.

1. The easy thing should be the immediate removal of George Laraque, doesn't matter if this is via a trade, waivers, LTIR or buyout. Just get rid of Laraque as he was one of the worst aspects of our team from last season. Stewart, Moen, and Gill will do just fine without BGL.

2. Keep looking for a big center although this will likely not occur with the cap situation and limited talented big centers in the NHL that might be on the trade block. How much is Sundin worth this summer?

3. Give either Weber or Subban a roster spot so our team can develop the next Souray type of PP goal scorer or Streit type of PP point producer. Ideally the next Mike Green that can provide 60+ points from the D or PP.

4. Try to trade away a top 4 D for a lower priced top 4 D. Basically trade away $5.5 million for around $3 million. Use the extra cap money next year or to sign a one year deal for another UFA.

5. re-sign Dags and Stewart this coming week

Get rid of Carbo. Hey our team should be better for 2009-10 with an experienced coach. Get rid of lots of old players. It is easy to be the GM. BG has already done most of the hard work by canning Carbo and not re-signing any of the 10 UFAs.

Now that BG has done most of the hard work.

1. The easy thing should be the immediate removal of George Laraque, doesn't matter if this is via a trade, waivers, LTIR or buyout. Just get rid of Laraque as he was one of the worst aspects of our team from last season. Stewart, Moen, and Gill will do just fine without BGL.

2. Keep looking for a big center although this will likely not occur with the cap situation and limited talented big centers in the NHL that might be on the trade block. How much is Sundin worth this summer?

3. Give either Weber or Subban a roster spot so our team can develop the next Souray type of PP goal scorer or Streit type of PP point producer. Ideally the next Mike Green that can provide 60+ points from the D or PP.

4. Try to trade away a top 4 D for a lower priced top 4 D. Basically trade away $5.5 million for around $3 million. Use the extra cap money next year or to sign a one year deal for another UFA.

5. re-sign Dags and Stewart this coming week

hammrlik and a 3rd to dallas for grossman

I guess, you won't get much for them though most likely, IMO I hold onto them.

I like, although if he could play 3rd line minutes its good also, apparently he can play wing if needed.

Not smart IMO, the goalie market is dead, its a complete buyers market you won't get much for Jaro and you're just mortaging games by putting the inferior goalie in.

I meant sign them to contracts. Not trade them! Some confusion on my wording there. :lol:;)

Yeah, if we can get Maxwell some NHL games this season I would be very happy. Plekanec's time here is limited. I mean, does anyone expect him to stay beyond next summer? Maxwell is the only center we have who could replace him. Even though in 2010-2011 he would still be pretty raw.

Halak is eventually going to leave the organization. Can we afford to resign him next summer, anyway? Are we willing to resik losing him to Europe for nothing should we fail to give him any NHL playing time?

Yeah, if we can get Maxwell some NHL games this season I would be very happy. Plekanec's time here is limited. I mean, does anyone expect him to stay beyond next summer? Maxwell is the only center we have who could replace him. Even though in 2010-2011 he would still be pretty raw.

I just posted this in the #2 center thread but if Maxwell is still raw, Stephen Weiss IMO is an ideal option.

Halak is eventually going to leave the organization. Can we afford to resign him next summer, anyway? Are we willing to resik losing him to Europe for nothing should we fail to give him any NHL playing time?

I'd rather have an NHL backup for dirt-cheap and risk him walking than the 3rd-4th round pick you'll get for him.

Right now we have like 2.1 million under the cap or so. If I was gm I would:

Roman Hamrlik(5.5M) + 500K cash to Carolina for Anton Babchuk in a sign and trade. Babchuk signs for 3million. We save 2 million on the cap hit.(not sure how the cash hits the cap, let's say it does), next I would place 1.5 million dollar BGL on LTIR. 3.5 million savings.

Assuming the 500K does count against the Cap, we now have 4.6 million left. This is without Pacs, D'Agostini, Stewart or Chipchura. We offer a 2.1 million incentive laden contract to Alex Tanguay, then hope he signs. I would re-sign D'agostini and Stewart to 2 way contracts at 625,000K each, then duck as my head hits the salary cap ceiling. One of the 2 or both would end up in the minors, Chipchura and Pacioretty who both make 900K would make the team, I would still have roughly eight cents to spare :D

Then I would nicely ask my coach to ice a team that looked like this:

Andrei - Gomez - Cammalleri

Tanguay - Plekanec - Gionta

Sergei - Lapierre - Latendresse

Moen - Chipchura - Pacioretty

Extra: Metropolit, Stewart

Markov - Mara

Spacek - Babchuk

Gill - Gorges

Extra: O'Byrne

Price

Halak

Right now we have like 2.1 million under the cap or so. If I was gm I would:

Roman Hamrlik(5.5M) + 500K cash to Carolina for Anton Babchuk in a sign and trade. Babchuk signs for 3million. We save 2 million on the cap hit.(not sure how the cash hits the cap, let's say it does), next I would place 1.5 million dollar BGL on LTIR. 3.5 million savings.

Assuming the 500K does count against the Cap, we now have 4.6 million left. This is without Pacs, D'Agostini, Stewart or Chipchura. We offer a 2.1 million incentive laden contract to Alex Tanguay, then hope he signs. I would re-sign D'agostini and Stewart to 2 way contracts at 625,000K each, then duck as my head hits the salary cap ceiling. One of the 2 or both would end up in the minors, Chipchura and Pacioretty who both make 900K would make the team, I would still have roughly eight cents to spare :D

Then I would nicely ask my coach to ice a team that looked like this:

Andrei - Gomez - Cammalleri

Tanguay - Plekanec - Gionta

Sergei - Lapierre - Latendresse

Moen - Chipchura - Pacioretty

Extra: Metropolit, Stewart

Markov - Mara

Spacek - Babchuk

Gill - Gorges

Extra: O'Byrne

Price

Halak

Well, if we're gonna sign Tanguay. He'd probably be on the first line while A.Kostitsyn would be on the second. And Pacioretty would be bumped down to the 3rd perhaps taking the spot of S.Kostitsyn.

While no one wants to discourage you from posting your trade ideas, this is real-life pro hockey, not fantasy team-building or a video game. Gainey has just made a ton of sweeping changes to the team. It's very unlikely that he'll radically revamp the team further in the manner you've suggested (particularly now that Lecavalier's NTC has kicked in).

I didn't say anything about doing any of these things now

Wait a season or 2 then do it

I think signing Patrick Marleau next season would be good

I looked at capgeek.com and read that Evgeni Malkin is getting 8.7 million $$/season in Pittsburgh, so offer Malkin 9.5 Million $$/season and he should be happy

If I were GM I would

trades

to Dallas

Hamerlik

Halak

2nd rd 2010

to Mtl

James Neal

This gives us a natural centre who is 6-2 185 (needs alittle more size) Cap hit 821K (RFA 2010-11 no arbitration)

we save about 5.5M under the cap as the loss of Hammer's $$$ and the savings from Halak to Sanford translate to 5.5M

This deal gives Dallas the veteran Dman they are looking for, a solid backup to Turko who can take-over as #1 if he stumbles and a good draft pick

To SJ

Pleks

O'Byrne

SK74

Conditional 2010 pick (if Marleau resigns with us 2010 1st rd, if he bolts a 2010 5th rd)

To Mtl

Marleau (if he waives NTC)

Vlasic

This gives SJ about 4.8M in cap space and someone who can play 7th d with top 4 potentia and a 2nd line C

LTIR

Laraque

AK - Gomez- Gionta

Neal- Marleau - Cammelerri

Lats- Laps - Moen

Patches - Metro - Chips

spares/call ups: D'agostini, Stewart (assume 600K for Stew and D'ags)

Markov - Mara (Komi type, only with some offensive upside)

Spacek - Vlasic

Gorges - Gill

spares/callups: Weber,Carle

Price

Sanford

approx Cap hit 54.93M$

approx cap space with bonuses paid 1.87M$

without approx 2.5M$

leaves enough wiggle room for BGL's return later in season, even a minor deadline deal

This team has alot of skill, size, grit and a great transition game. All these players fit Matin's mould of responsible 2 way hockey (that is a minimum of the fwds skating back).

This team would be a BIG threat in the East. Good enough to steal the division and make some noise in the playoffs (possibly 3rd rd or even finals apperance)

Archived