The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2009-10 If I Were GM

fourtrax

Out muscled and out hustled , 2nd time the flyers emabrassed this team in the post season. Bulk up this team, AK, SK, TP - get rid of all three, too small and too soft. MAB let him walk, Mara gone. Try and get rid of SG even if you buy him out, at least the other half of his horrid salary could go to a player with hustel.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To Toronto:

Hamerlik, AK,SK, pick

To Montreal:

Kaberle

Insert facepalm picture here.

Why, exactly, does Toronto make this deal? They exchange a $4.25 million cap hit for a total of roughly $9 million in cap space. Their need is at center, not wing. Sk and Grabovski have a well-publicized feud. SK is a flight risk to the KHL. AK is coming off an awful season. Hamrlik is 35, older than Kaberle and a downgrade from Kaberle in every measurable sense.

There is no earthly reason for Burke to bite on this. To get quality, you have to give quality. You can't just adopt a "trash for treasure" approach and hope the other GM is dumber than a sack of hammers.

This one is for jedimaas: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322250

Sure, the Pens are denying that Malkin is available, but no smoke without fire, I say.

What would it take to get Malkin in a Habs uni this summer?

So....

Weep reads: MALKIN WILL NOT BE TRADED!

Weep interprets: MALKIN MAY BE TRADED!

:P:lol:

Heh, my reading skills are teh AWEZOME!1!1!

I know they're denying it, but how many times have we read about trade denials only to see the player in question traded shortly thereafter?

Plus, this will make jedi very happy. :P

Haha. so I didnt go into this thread during our last series - only just reading it now.

Of course it would make me happy - you know Ive been pushing for Malkin before he even joined the NHL - but in reality I think we have 0 (ZERO, nada, naught, een nul, nula, et nul, ett noll) chance of getting Malkin.

Not because I dont think Pittsburgh will move him. I think they will consider it, field offers and, despite what this article says, quite possibly move him.

The reason I think he wont end up HERE is that to do it, we'd need to likely send the following to Pittsburgh:

Markov or PK (The pens would probably actually rather have PK - cheap, young, could be signed for a long time).

Cammy or Gionta (The key for them to flip Malkin would be to get a top line winger. If the other components are right, they might do it for Gionta, but my guess is they would want Camms).

1st rounder or 2 (and if we make this move, those will be worth a lot, trust me).

Halak or Price (Fleury has struggled with inconsistency since his surgery and there is growing pressure to replace him. On top of that, even if the pens decided they would go with Fleury, Price or Halak could be flipped for major gains on the Pen's part).

And suddenly, we become: Pittsburgh v.2.0 We have a #1 centre making $9m a #2 making $7.4m and so on. We lose depth on wing. We lose either our best defensman in the last decade, or our best young defensman since he was a rookie.

Dont get me wrong - Malkin is a GOD and there's very few players (forwards, at least) in this league that I would rather build a team around, but the cost would be too high.

Now, if we could somehow move Gomez, turn that trade into young wingers & then manage to save some of the above mentioned players from the pittsburg move...well...i guess there's a glimmer of hope ;)

Easy there chief. You need to remind yourself that we are not all the same age, come from different backgrounds and share different perceptions that are shaped as a result of different life experiences. ;)

Thanks, I don't need you to remind me of anything. I'm well aware of the demographic differences in this thread and on this forum in general. I wasn't insulting anyone. But every time I come in here, it's more of the same "trash for treasure" pie in the sky trade talk that has zero chance of ever happening. All I'm saying is: this kind of trade talk is why I don't post in this thread. And that will be all for me. Carry on.

Thanks, I don't need you to remind me of anything. I'm well aware of the demographic differences in this thread and on this forum in general. I wasn't insulting anyone. But every time I come in here, it's more of the same "trash for treasure" pie in the sky trade talk that has zero chance of ever happening. All I'm saying is: this kind of trade talk is why I don't post in this thread. And that will be all for me. Carry on.

Um, sorry! :unsure:

Center ($)

Gomez (7.357)

LW ($)

Cammalleri (6.0)

Moen (1.5)

RW ($)

Gionta (5.0)

A. Kostitsyn (3.25)

Defense ($)

Markov (5.75)

Hamrlik (5.50)

Spacek (3.833)

Gill (2.25)

Gorges (1.1)

O'Byrne (0.942)

Subban (0.875)

Total Fwds: $23.107 million

Total D: $20.25 million

Total G: $0.0

Total Roster: $43.357 million

Salary Cap: $unknown yet but I will go off the $56.8 million from this season

Total space for 2010-2011: $13.443 million

List of RFAs ($):

Lapierre (1.0)

S. Kostitsyn (0)

Pouliot (0.8)

Pyatt (0.8)

Price (2)

Halak (3)

List of UFAs ($):

Plekanec (4)

Moore (1.2)

Darche (0)

List of UFAs that I would try to sign on the open market ($):

Taylor Pyatt (0.9)

Colby Armstrong (2.5)

Line up

1) Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

2) Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

3) Moen - Moore - Lapierre

4) White - Tom Pyatt - Tay Pyatt

D1) Markov - Subban

D2) Gill - Gorges

D3) Hamrlik - Spacek

G1)Halak

G2)Price

Now since I am not very good at evaluating trades I will not even begin to try working that out but in my perfect world I would trade Hamrlik for a draft pick to give room for some of our younger D men who are coming up (Belle, Carle and O'Byrne).

Another trade option that I would look at is the rights to one of our young goalies for a top six forward. Maybe someone will take Kostitsyn off of our hands too!

All in all, I don't think that another face lift is necessary. I like what Gomez brings to the table and would not write him off after one mediocre season in which he had to adjust to a lot plus being injured early on.

OK, so I decided to try a stab at a trade:

TO MTL:

RFA Joe Pavelski

Ryan Clowe

TO SJS:

Andrei Kostitsyn (3.25)

RFA Sergei Kostitsyn

RFA Halak

Hamrlik (5.5)

Am I way out to lunch here? I don't know! If I do this trade I would then not sign Plekanec and sign Turco.If this were to happen our line-up would look like this:

Pouliot(0.9) - Gomez(7.357) - Gionta(5)

Cammi(6) - Pavelski (3.5) - Clowe(3.5)

Moen(1.5) - Moore(1.5) - Lapierre(1)

White(0.6) - Pyatt(0.8) - Pyatt (1)

Markov(5.75) - Subban (0.875)

Gill (2.25) - Gorges (1.1)

Spacek(3.833) - O'Byrne (0.942)

Price ( 1.5)

Turco (3)

Total roster cap hit= 51.907

Even with Price at 2 and Turco at 4 we are at 53.4 (well under the current cap of 56.8 but I have heard that it may drop by 9 million????)

Archived