The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Article: Canadiens Owner Slams Balsillie?

Johnny_Storm

http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2009/07/nhl-bo...-boys-club.html

NHL Board of Governors berate Balsillie, sound like whiny Old Boys Club

TradingPlaces_BD

Aside from all the hullabaloo about the NHL ignoring Canada and its slight against Jim Balsillie's Coyotes bid and subsequent goal of moving the team to Hamilton being an insult to Canadian hockey fans everywhere, one story today seems to reveal the league's board of governors as a bunch of whining old coots.

The Globe and Mail's David Shoalts and Paul Waldie report on the closed door meeting Balsillie and his reps had with the board and it doesn't sound pretty. Or logical. First, the league approved the Supreme Ruler of RIM for ownership back in 2006 and now deem him unworthy despite his bid for the floundering Phoenix franchise being $64.5 million MORE than the one they accepted from Chicago White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf ($212.5M vs. $148M based primarily on debt assumption). Now we've all heard Gary Bettman's reasons for hating Balsillie with the heat of a thousand suns, but those sound down right logical when stacked up against some of the other owner's complaints.

According to the Globe's sources, Habs owner George Gillett led the attack on Balsillie saying when the RIM CEO told a reporter the Canadiens were for sale (which they were, it was later revealed) it "destroyed the Canadiens' season." Yeah, that had NOTHING to do with what was happening on the ice. Sure, certain front office activities have been known to distract players, most notably trade rumours, but an impending sale? Puhhhlease. We're not talking the Charlestown Chiefs or Cleveland Indians in Major League here. This is the Habs. Everyone from Bob Gainey to Joey Poutine on the street knows the franchise isn't going anywhere. So what's the distraction?

The NHL's board is sounding more and more like a bitter Old Boys Club who don't like being told what to do or getting shown up by some boat-rocking whippersnapper. Even if it means losing $64.5 million and watching a failed team that had a decade in the desert to succeed reach new levels in financial clusterf*ckage. That's some pricey pride.

What's so embarrassing in that story ?

We all knew Goerge Gillett didn't had the biggest hockey knowledge in the world, but still, i can understand why he was frustrated there, he was trying to be low profile about his financial problems and Jim went off and told everybody about the sale of the canadiens.

http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2009/07/nhl-bo...-boys-club.html

NHL Board of Governors berate Balsillie, sound like whiny Old Boys Club

TradingPlaces_BD

Aside from all the hullabaloo about the NHL ignoring Canada and its slight against Jim Balsillie's Coyotes bid and subsequent goal of moving the team to Hamilton being an insult to Canadian hockey fans everywhere, one story today seems to reveal the league's board of governors as a bunch of whining old coots.

The Globe and Mail's David Shoalts and Paul Waldie report on the closed door meeting Balsillie and his reps had with the board and it doesn't sound pretty. Or logical. First, the league approved the Supreme Ruler of RIM for ownership back in 2006 and now deem him unworthy despite his bid for the floundering Phoenix franchise being $64.5 million MORE than the one they accepted from Chicago White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf ($212.5M vs. $148M based primarily on debt assumption). Now we've all heard Gary Bettman's reasons for hating Balsillie with the heat of a thousand suns, but those sound down right logical when stacked up against some of the other owner's complaints.

According to the Globe's sources, Habs owner George Gillett led the attack on Balsillie saying when the RIM CEO told a reporter the Canadiens were for sale (which they were, it was later revealed) it "destroyed the Canadiens' season." Yeah, that had NOTHING to do with what was happening on the ice. Sure, certain front office activities have been known to distract players, most notably trade rumours, but an impending sale? Puhhhlease. We're not talking the Charlestown Chiefs or Cleveland Indians in Major League here. This is the Habs. Everyone from Bob Gainey to Joey Poutine on the street knows the franchise isn't going anywhere. So what's the distraction?

The NHL's board is sounding more and more like a bitter Old Boys Club who don't like being told what to do or getting shown up by some boat-rocking whippersnapper. Even if it means losing $64.5 million and watching a failed team that had a decade in the desert to succeed reach new levels in financial clusterf*ckage. That's some pricey pride.

So much ***** going on here,turning out to be just a joke.....*****.

What's so embarrassing in that story ?

We all knew Goerge Gillett didn't had the biggest hockey knowledge in the world, but still, i can understand why he was frustrated there, he was trying to be low profile about his financial problems and Jim went off and told everybody about the sale of the canadiens.

Yeah, poor George. He walked away from the Habs with $633MM after originally paying $275MM, for a tidy profit of $258MM. He should be paying Balsille a fricking commission!

Why do the owners hate Canada? We have 20% of the teams and contribute almost 35% of the league revenues, which are shared. Are they really so fat and happy that they can spit on Balsille's money just because they don't like his attitude?

Yeah, poor George. He walked away from the Habs with $633MM after originally paying $275MM, for a tidy profit of $258MM. He should be paying Balsille a fricking commission!

Why do the owners hate Canada? We have 20% of the teams and contribute almost 35% of the league revenues, which are shared. Are they really so fat and happy that they can spit on Balsille's money just because they don't like his attitude?

The man is a business man, did you really think he bought the team to lose money ? Some people love to do quiet business and some don't, that's just how the world works.

The owners don't hate Canada at all, they just hate the way Balsillie is flashy about everything he does, and the fact that the man loves cameras.

Other than Mario Lemieux or the NHL Draft, how often do you see the owners on TV ?

The man is a business man, did you really think he bought the team to lose money ? Some people love to do quiet business and some don't, that's just how the world works.

The owners don't hate Canada at all, they just hate the way Balsillie is flashy about everything he does, and the fact that the man loves cameras.

Other than Mario Lemieux or the NHL Draft, how often do you see the owners on TV ?

Well,I might be a little off here,but I'm having great difficulty in forming an image/replay of a Habs game on RDS that didn't have at least a cursory shot of Gillett! One therefore wonders if the same holds true of other teams' owners being shown by their home telecasters? <_<

Well,I might be a little off here,but I'm having great difficulty in forming an image/replay of a Habs game on RDS that didn't have at least a cursory shot of Gillett! One therefore wonders if the same holds true of other teams' owners being shown by their home telecasters? <_<

Are you really being serious with this ?

That's my point. The owners are businessmen. So why not take Balsillie's money?

On TV not very often if at all

In the papers , compared to other sports leagues NHL owners are in it often and for the wrong reasons

Bruce Mcnall, LA kings owner sentenced to 5 yrs in prison

Charles Wang, Islanders owner regrets buying the money losing team and if he were to do it all over again wouldn't do it

Phoenix COyotes owner claims team is bankrupt

Tampa Bay owners feuding

Feuding Tampa Bay Lightning owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie met with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman

John Spano briefly owned the Islanders until he was charged with fruad

Jim Balsillie is successful and would like to own an NHl franchise yet if you're not part of the " old boys club ' they NHl Board of Governors will refuse you .

dude, why should he be paying balsille commission? because he advertised it? you dont think the habs would have brought in 550million anyways?? its the habs...the point that gillette was trying to make is that balsille showed no respect to gillette or the habs by bringing the situation to the public sphere...doesnt matter if its the habs or the cyotes, you dont go trying to flex your blackberry money and muscle by publicizing these kinds of things, especially during the start/middle of a season...some call it the "old boys club" some call it a "code" and some just call it smart/good business...balsille has no respect for the nhl or its laws...this guy wants to go in "guns a-blazin" and call the nhl out the way he did/has done...he doesnt deserve a team...you should respect that code and the "old boys club" because that "club" is the reason why teams like the habs, leafs, wings, hawks, bruins and rangers have survived as long as they have...they're the reason why a 6 team league expanded to 30...yeah some teams struggle but you know what, they arent out there in the public eye putting blame on this or that and calling other teams/owners out...balsille's attitude is exactly the reason why he should not get a franchise...you think he cares about hockey? he doesnt care about bringing a team to hamilton...this guy would bring a team to hamilton, milk it for what its worth and then sell it back to the states if he could make a better profit...im glad they rejected him...and gillette has every right to mad that balsille took it upon himself to publicize gillette's business...and talking about selling the habs (something that gillette owned/owns) brings to light gillette's financial business and that is personal stuff...balsille was wrong to do it and if people cant see that then i dont know how to explain it to them...how would balsille like apple talking about rim if rim was looking to sell something...yeah dont think he'd enjoy that very much...

yeah i duno about that i watched a majority of habs games this past season and didnt see a shot of gillette every game...dont know about this one...

dude, why should he be paying balsille commission? because he advertised it? you dont think the habs would have brought in 550million anyways?? its the habs...the point that gillette was trying to make is that balsille showed no respect to gillette or the habs by bringing the situation to the public sphere...doesnt matter if its the habs or the cyotes, you dont go trying to flex your blackberry money and muscle by publicizing these kinds of things, especially during the start/middle of a season...some call it the "old boys club" some call it a "code" and some just call it smart/good business...balsille has no respect for the nhl or its laws...this guy wants to go in "guns a-blazin" and call the nhl out the way he did/has done...he doesnt deserve a team...you should respect that code and the "old boys club" because that "club" is the reason why teams like the habs, leafs, wings, hawks, bruins and rangers have survived as long as they have...they're the reason why a 6 team league expanded to 30...yeah some teams struggle but you know what, they arent out there in the public eye putting blame on this or that and calling other teams/owners out...balsille's attitude is exactly the reason why he should not get a franchise...you think he cares about hockey? he doesnt care about bringing a team to hamilton...this guy would bring a team to hamilton, milk it for what its worth and then sell it back to the states if he could make a better profit...im glad they rejected him...and gillette has every right to mad that balsille took it upon himself to publicize gillette's business...and talking about selling the habs (something that gillette owned/owns) brings to light gillette's financial business and that is personal stuff...balsille was wrong to do it and if people cant see that then i dont know how to explain it to them...how would balsille like apple talking about rim if rim was looking to sell something...yeah dont think he'd enjoy that very much...

Yeah, the Habs would have brought $550MM +, but because of Balsillie, the bidding war was public and Uncle George walked away with more than $600MM. I agree Balsillie has no respect for the Old Boys Club but I don't agree that he owes anything to any kind of code. As for calling it "good business" isn't that the point of this thread? It makes no business sense for the owners to turn down an extra $60 odd million just because they don't like a guy. Nor does it make sense to keep a 7th franchise out of Canada when Canadian teams are bringing in the lion's share of league revenues.

As for caring about the hockey, Balsillie not only cares, he has already cut a 20-year deal with Copps Coliseum to keep a team in Hamilton. Say what you like but you can't say Balsillie doesn't care about the game. I'm not sure the same applies to the other owners.

Yeah, the Habs would have brought $550MM +, but because of Balsillie, the bidding war was public and Uncle George walked away with more than $600MM. I agree Balsillie has no respect for the Old Boys Club but I don't agree that he owes anything to any kind of code. As for calling it "good business" isn't that the point of this thread? It makes no business sense for the owners to turn down an extra $60 odd million just because they don't like a guy. Nor does it make sense to keep a 7th franchise out of Canada when Canadian teams are bringing in the lion's share of league revenues.

As for caring about the hockey, Balsillie not only cares, he has already cut a 20-year deal with Copps Coliseum to keep a team in Hamilton. Say what you like but you can't say Balsillie doesn't care about the game. I'm not sure the same applies to the other owners.

you agree that he has no respect, but say he owes nothing to the "old boys club"...so why should the owners show respect, or add a guy into the "club" who has no respect for it or its code...they owners of the nhl franchises owe nothing to balsille, he does nothing for them...

so what if he cut a 20 year deal? what does that mean? if you want to look at things that way, pheonix has a 30 year deal on their venue so i guess going by your example the team should stay in pheonix...20 year deal or not balsille would sell/move the team somewhere else if it meant better profit, isnt that what he wants to do with pheonix?...

This guy is usually just all talk but he makes sense today

http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?act=p...=25&t=23487

Let us recap for a moment. The NHL has approved the ownership of Boots Del Biagio (going to jail), Bruce McNall (been to jail), Henry Samueli (awaiting sentencing), John Rigas (currently in jail), Sanjay Kumar (in jail), among others, but unanimously rejected Jim Balsillie on issues of "character and integrity." But no, as commissioner Gary Bettman insists, none of this is personal

and this too

Silliest part of the NHL board of governors meeting: Soon to be ex-Canadiens owner George Gillett blaming Balsillie for the unexpected collapse of the Habs last season

I can understand he's upset, but I think blaming last season on Jim Balsille is a massive stretch

Tell me about it. It wasn't Balsille on the Bell Center ice watching his teammates get pounded on...oh wait that was BGL and the heartless crew.

This guy is usually just all talk but he makes sense today

http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?act=p...=25&t=23487

Let us recap for a moment. The NHL has approved the ownership of Boots Del Biagio (going to jail), Bruce McNall (been to jail), Henry Samueli (awaiting sentencing), John Rigas (currently in jail), Sanjay Kumar (in jail), among others, but unanimously rejected Jim Balsillie on issues of "character and integrity." But no, as commissioner Gary Bettman insists, none of this is personal

and this too

Silliest part of the NHL board of governors meeting: Soon to be ex-Canadiens owner George Gillett blaming Balsillie for the unexpected collapse of the Habs last season

Doesn't make a lick of sense does it. They just want to teach him a lesson that the expense of the league's health because he didn't go through the proper channels and kiss enough butt give me a break. :rolleyes: Issues like this make the NHL look very bush league.

Archived