The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tsn: Montreal Part Of Possible 3 Way Trade For Heatley

One day after the Edmonton Oilers announced they're out of the running for Dany Heatley's services; it appears that the disgruntled winger's request to leave the nation's capital isn't dead.

According to a report in the Ottawa Sun, Senators GM Bryan Murray could have ''an option'' to move Heatley to San Jose but it would need a third team involved - possibly the Montreal Canadiens - to facilitate a trade.

The newspaper reported that the Sharks have shown interest in the two-time 50-goal scorer, but what they're offering isn't intriguing Murray. According to the report, the Sharks have tabled a package that includes winger Jonathan Cheechoo, along with defenceman Christian Erhoff and a first-round selection.

''If the Sharks don't have what the Senators want, then (GM) Doug Wilson might have to go get it from another team,'' a league executive told Sun Media on Saturday. ''The Senators want a proven scoring winger in return and that means you might have to get a third team involved.''

A source told The Sun that a third team could be the Canadiens, but wasn't sure what San Jose could acquire from Montreal to satisfy the Senators' needs to deal Heatley.

Heatley, according to the report, would be willing to waive his no-movement clause to go to the Sharks.

''This is all up to Doug Wilson. If he wants to make big changes, this is the biggest one he can make,'' said a league executive.

-------------------------------------------

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286562

Was about to post that. At the same time, I don't see what the Sens would want from us which could help the Sharks land Heatley. Both Kostitsyn's maybe but I wouldn't give them up for e.g. Marleau, who's going to be UFA next year and we've got no idea if he'd resign here... Other ideas?

Was about to post that. At the same time, I don't see what the Sens would want from us which could help the Sharks land Heatley. Both Kostitsyn's maybe but I wouldn't give them up for e.g. Marleau, who's going to be UFA next year and we've got no idea if he'd resign here... Other ideas?

Well they say they want a "proven" winger so that throws out Pacioretty, who I would think for a rebuilding Sens would be the ideal target.

Gionta I guess is option #2 if he waives his no-trade.

Well they say they want a "proven" winger so that throws out Pacioretty, who I would think for a rebuilding Sens would be the ideal target.

True, Gionta, but I don't believe Gainey's going to deal the guy just after he signed him. He hasn't even played a game yet and that's just not how Gainey rolls IMO.

We can't take Cheechoo and Ehrhoff, unless we'd trade away a lot more than the two Kostitsyn's. We're too close to the Cap already as is ...

Not gonna happen. There is no way Gainey would trade Gionta right now. If this was the tradedeadline it could be a possibility but we just signed the guy and we havn't even had chance to see what him and Gomez can do on a line togeather.

We can't take Cheechoo and Ehrhoff, unless we'd trade away a lot more than the two Kostitsyn's. We're too close to the Cap already as is ...

And I'd rather have Gionta than both of them together. Chechoo's meh and Erhoff blows.

Maybe if we start talking Logan Couture it would be interesting.

It's coming from Bruce Garrioch, not exactly the most reliable journalist out there.

Damn really, I didn't verify the source I assume TSN uses clean channels.

Ok seriously...none of the free agents we signed are going to be traded. What kind of precendent would that set...sign as a free agent in Montreal and we'll trade you a month later? Please.

It's gotta be the Kostitsyns and I couldn't be happier about it.

Still, we wouldn't have enough room under the Cap if we'd get either Ehrhoff/Cheechoo or Marleau in return.

I'd expect Kostitsyn to light it up alongside Joe Thornton in San Jose ... it's gonna be painful to watch for sure <_<

I can't figure out what the Habs have in wingers that would satisfy Ottawa's need for somewhat of a replacement for Heatley. The closest would be Kostitsyn but I don't want Sneezy (Cheechoo). It almost sounds like the Habs are included in the article just as mere speculation. I just don't see how being involved in this trade would improve the Habs.

And I'd rather have Gionta than both of them together. Chechoo's meh and Erhoff blows.

Agreed, Ehrhoff sucks, especially at approx. $3M/year. Cheechoo had a couple of good years but he hasn't even been playing up to his cap hit of 3M in the last two seasons... I wouldn't give the Kostitsyns up for those two, no way.

Still, we wouldn't have enough room under the Cap if we'd get either Ehrhoff/Cheechoo or Marleau in return.

I'd expect Kostitsyn to light it up alongside Joe Thornton in San Jose ... it's gonna be painful to watch for sure <_<

he would be going to ottawa as heatley would be going to san jose

Facts we should take into account:

- Ottawa wants a good proven scoring winger.... (ex. Andrei Kostitsyn)

- San Jose have apprx. $900,000 in cap space.

- Montreal has apprx. $3,250,000 in cap space. Excluding D'Agostini and Stewart. With the uncertainties surrounding Laraque's health and Metropolit's place on the team, we could potentially have an extra $2,500,000 cap space to spare. MAYBE

- Heatley has a $7,500,000 salary cap hit.

- Ottawa is over the cap by around $300,000

- Supposedly San Jose has offered Enrhoff, Cheechoo and a 1st round pick to Ottawa. ($6,100,000 salary cap hit combined)

- Kostitsyn is better than Cheechoo, when paired with other players that have chemistry.

- Kostitsyn has a $3,250,000 salary cap hit

- Ottawa would like to reunite Kostitsyn and Kovalev to see if they will have that wonderful chemistry they used to have. Imagine them with Spezza! B)

- In order to make this 3-way trade happen, Montreal has to take way more money than San Jose would get so that they can afford Heatley.

- In the past, San Jose has been said to be interested in Halak and Plekanec.

- Players on San Jose who may leave:

1. Patrick Marleau

2. Christian Enrhoff

3. Jonathan Cheechoo

4. Joe Thornton (he hasn't done anything in the post-season. they may go in a new direction)

etc.

Anything is possible and based on all the facts, no trade will be done if the salaries going each way don't add up. its not a question about talent; each team can give what the other team wants; its just can they AFFORD it.

And for that, I am at a complete loss of thoughts of ideas what trades could potentially happen.

Ok seriously...none of the free agents we signed are going to be traded. What kind of precendent would that set...sign as a free agent in Montreal and we'll trade you a month later? Please.

It's gotta be the Kostitsyns and I couldn't be happier about it.

Everything points to the Kostitsyns

Especially after the news release of their shady ties in Montreal.

as long as he lights it up in another conference I couldn't care less.

Thornton makes everyone look good. Remember Cheechoo's ridiculous 56 goal season?

Marleau gets things done on his own. Bring HIM to Montreal, please!

as long as he lights it up in another conference I couldn't care less.

Thornton makes everyone look good. Remember Cheechoo's ridiculous 56 goal season?

Marleau gets things done on his own. Bring HIM to Montreal, please!

Yeah, but that logic was faulty cause Kostitsyn would obviously end up in Ottawa and Heatley would go to San Jose ;)

Anyway, I personally don't see a way of freeing up enough Cup space. San Jose would have to unload a considerable chunk of their team and we've just committed too much money to long-term contracts.

If Clowe was included in the deal, I'd definitely be interested. Still, I don't see how this would work out.

Damn really, I didn't verify the source I assume TSN uses clean channels.

This time of year hockey fans are just dying for news thanks for giving us something to talk about :lol:

I think if this were to happen we'd need to dump some salary but I think Cheecho's contract is very reasonable and wouldn't be hard to fit under our cap.

This time of year hockey fans are just dying for news thanks for giving us something to talk about :lol:

I think if this were to happen we'd need to dump some salary but I think Cheecho's contract is very reasonable and wouldn't be hard to fit under our cap.

I rather Kostitsyn over Cheechoo, any day of the year. Total no-brainer for me.

At the same time, this would have to be a monster deal with lots of players going either way, San Jose is over the Cap already and they're willing to take an additional Cap hit of $7.5M/year? Only Ehrhoff and Cheechoo would not be enough, unless they waive players and even then they'd have virtually 0 flexibility in terms of Cap space. I just don't see this deal happening.

I rather Kostitsyn over Cheechoo, any day of the year. Total no-brainer for me.

At the same time, this would have to be a monster deal with lots of players going either way, San Jose is over the Cap already and they're willing to take an additional Cap hit of $7.5M/year? Only Ehrhoff and Cheechoo would not be enough, unless they waive players and even then they'd have virtually 0 flexibility in terms of Cap space. I just don't see this deal happening.

So would I but I'm just thinking of who it could be from San Jose involved. If San Jose is against the cap then it could be a blockbuster going the other way. For what Ottawa wants for Healtley I would imagine it would have to be alot going the other way to free up the cap room they need.

Archived