The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tsn: Montreal Part Of Possible 3 Way Trade For Heatley

All this trade talk sounds foolish. If there's anyone on the San Jose roster I would be interested in, it would be Pavelski. He's shown steady improvement over the course of his 3-year NHL career with point totals of 28, 40, and 59. He's a right-handed center, and although he's not big, could be a great second line option behind Scott Gomez. That's who I would want back in the deal. If San Jose wants Heatley so bad, they can sacrifice Pavelski to us. My trade proposal is as follows:

To Montreal:

Joe Pavelski ($1.650) - RFA in 2010-2011.

2nd round draft choice (2010) - From San Jose.

To Ottawa:

Logan Couture ($1.300) - RFA in 2011-2012.

Christian Ehrhoff ($3.100) - UFA in 2011-2012.

Tomas Plekanec ($2.750) - UFA in 2010-2011.

4th round draft choice (2011) - From San Jose.

To San Jose:

Dany Heatley ($7.500) - UFA in 2014-2015.

3rd round draft choice (2010) - From Ottawa.

3rd round draft choice (2010) - From Montreal.

Or... Something like that? :lol::P

The only way I see a trade here for Montreal is if Gainey is down on the Kostitsyns. Because of the reasonable Frolov deal in another thread maybe this is the case. If I understand the OTT - San Jose - Habs rumor, Ottawa is not interested in Cheechoo but they do need something for Heatley. It sounds as if Ottawa has interest in Ehrhoff. Having said that I can't see Hamrlik being a part of this deal. Trading the Kostitsyns for 2 San Jose forwards of similar value is all I can see the Habs doing. That gives what San Jose perhaps needs to send on to Ottawa.

Personally I don't want Cheechoo at the expense of the Kostitsyns unless Gainey still sees them as a distraction. But to keep in form with what Gainey has done in terms of getting old pals together I can see two linemates coming from San Jose in exchange for the K Bros. Salary caps for the Habs and Sharks will stay about the same. Let the Sharks and Ottawa worry about the rest.

I can't see doing anything to get Marleau. He's UFA next year so if we're going that route Frolov makes a lot more sense - again if the K Bros are still in the doghouse. IMO the defence is set except for the sixth or seventh D-man.

Cap space is a concern but I can't see trading Hamrlik simply for that reason when there is still Laraque and Metropolit on the roster and Dags and Stewart still in limbo. Hamrlik's much more valuable here IMO then elsewhere, at least at this point. He'll be traded today. LOL

Gainey's Stanley cup champion 2009-2010 roster:

Forwards:

Mike Cammalleri - Anze Kopitar - Dustin Brown

Alexander Frolov - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Milan Michalek

Travis Moen - Maxime Lapierre - Guillaume Latendresse

Defensemen:

Andrei Markov,Drew Doughty

Jaroslav Spacek,Vlasic

Paul Mara,Schneider

Goaltenders:

Jaroslav Halak

Jonathan Quick

Fixxed...And...The kings lose way to much. I know it's not suposed to be a real trade but come on...

To Sharks: Heatley ($10M)

To Sens: Plekanec, Hamrlik, 1st round pick (!) ($7.3M)

To Habs: Marleu, Ehrhoff ($9M)

Only problem with that trade is that sj needs to shave some cap and not increase

How about

To sharks: Heatly, Brian Lee, 3rd ( 8.75) Add a 80pt/season and top 10 drafted Defenceman

To Habs: Marleu, Vlasic, Murray (11.9) Add depth at center, Add two big d. SJ shed much needed cap space

To Sens: Pleks, Hammer, Chips, 1st rd, (8.75)Rids Heatly, gets a center to play with Kovy , adds a big D and decent prospects

Still no proven winger for Sens...that was the only thing they wanted out of this deal so none of the two will happen.

How about the making of a 4 way deal between the Kings,Sharks,Habs,and Sens?

to Kings Marleau,Plekanec,Hamrlik,Cheechoo,Laraque,1st and 2nd round picks(from montreal)

to Sharks Heatley,Chipchura,Gorges,O'Byrne

to Habs Kopitar,Dustin Brown,Vlasic

to Sens Andrei Kostitsyn,Sergie Kostitsyn,Ehrhoff

Habs get their big center with Kopitar .

If we can get Tangay and Schneider for $3m a piece we can add them to our roster.

New Habs Roster:

Kopitar( C),Brown(RW),Cammalleri(LW)

Scott Gomez( C),Brian Gionta(RW),Alex Tanguay(LW)

Lapierre( C), D'Agostini(RW),Pacioretty(LW)

Ben Maxwell( C),Metropolit(RW),Travis Moen(LW)

spare: Greg Stewart

Defensemen:

Andrei Markov, Paul Mara

Jaroslav Spacek,Vlasic

Hal Gill,Schneider

Weber

Goaltenders:

Carey Price

Halak

While we're dreaming let's just throw in a Metropolit/Maxwell for Ovechkin/Backstrom trade...Halak for Luongo trade...

Only way I see Montreal involved in this three way deal is if they could unload Hamrlik's cap hit.

All this trade talk sounds foolish. If there's anyone on the San Jose roster I would be interested in, it would be Pavelski. He's shown steady improvement over the course of his 3-year NHL career with point totals of 28, 40, and 59. He's a right-handed center, and although he's not big, could be a great second line option behind Scott Gomez. That's who I would want back in the deal. If San Jose wants Heatley so bad, they can sacrifice Pavelski to us. My trade proposal is as follows:

To Montreal:

Joe Pavelski ($1.650) - RFA in 2010-2011.

2nd round draft choice (2010) - From San Jose.

To Ottawa:

Logan Couture ($1.300) - RFA in 2011-2012.

Christian Ehrhoff ($3.100) - UFA in 2011-2012.

Tomas Plekanec ($2.750) - UFA in 2010-2011.

4th round draft choice (2011) - From San Jose.

To San Jose:

Dany Heatley ($7.500) - UFA in 2014-2015.

3rd round draft choice (2010) - From Ottawa.

3rd round draft choice (2010) - From Montreal.

Or... Something like that? :lol::P

Pavelski and Cheechoo for the Kostitsyn's if Gainey is still down on them? Roster players stay the same and salaries are about the same. Montreal picks up a little they can shed elsewhere - trading Hamrlik somewhere else, doing something with Laraque, Metropolit?

Lets be real Ottawa is not gonna give away Heatly, he's a 50 goal guy even with limited interest they're gonna have to replace his points. SJ doesn't have what Ottawa wants so they have to get it somewhere. If we have what Ottawa wants then its all based on how badly SJ wants Heatly. Now according to rumor this is the case so, that would mean that we as MTL have SJ over the barrel so we should use this to our advantage.

Cheechoo is a product of one good year with Thornton, he has a huge contract for what hes put up lately, we should really try to stay away from him. Ehrhoff had a bad year last year minus 12 on a good team, but through out his career hes been a plus player so not bad. If we are gonna drop AK then we need to look for someone like a Clowe or Pavelski, I know SJ doesn't want to trade these guys but how badly do they want Heatley?

Why is everyone SOOO down on Price. Sure it's been a slow start, but come on! Does anyone remember when M.A. Fleury was in his second year? Everyone was calling for his head and he almost got sent down to the minors. Guess what?!?!?! He won the stanley cup last year!!!!!

<Edited> You were doing fine until this comment. Make your point without insulting other members. -weepingminotaur

Price has made his own troubles and has no one to blame. Lets all pray he has a great start and better finish.

Any trade Montreal makes will depend on them moving Hamrlik, if he canot be moved, then other then a small trade we are done. If he can be moved, Marleau is coming here or Frolov if San Jose cannot wait.

You wouldn't give up Pavelski for Heatley? Come on!

If Heatley was willing to play in Montreal I'd take Heatley in a heart beat. Paired with the right players that guy can easily win an nhl scoring title or the maurice richard trophy.

Imagine if he was paired with Thorton and Cheechoo; those guys would pretty much be guaranteed to win both the art ross and maurice richard trophy's. The Sharks would be stupid to turn down making a deal to get Heatley. They'd still be left with a ton of talent with Marleau, Cheechoo, Thorton,etc... The chemistry in san jose isn't working, they need a big check up and that's what they get by trading pavelski, michalek, and vlasic for Heatley.

i would but san jose wouldnt they have no 2nd line center then and pavelski is their future #1 center no way they trade him yet

How about the making of a 4 way deal between the Kings,Sharks,Habs,and Sens?

to Kings Marleau,Plekanec,Hamrlik,Cheechoo,Laraque,1st and 2nd round picks(from montreal)

to Sharks Heatley,Chipchura,Gorges,O'Byrne

to Habs Kopitar,Dustin Brown,Vlasic

to Sens Andrei Kostitsyn,Sergie Kostitsyn,Ehrhoff

Habs get their big center with Kopitar .

If we can get Tangay and Schneider for $3m a piece we can add them to our roster.

New Habs Roster:

Kopitar( C),Brown(RW),Cammalleri(LW)

Scott Gomez( C),Brian Gionta(RW),Alex Tanguay(LW)

Lapierre( C), D'Agostini(RW),Pacioretty(LW)

Ben Maxwell( C),Metropolit(RW),Travis Moen(LW)

spare: Greg Stewart

Defensemen:

Andrei Markov, Paul Mara

Jaroslav Spacek,Vlasic

Hal Gill,Schneider

Weber

Goaltenders:

Carey Price

Halak

3 way deals rarely happen why would a 4 way one happen

la wont give up brown and kopitar

Granted Ottawa would need to dump some additional salary for this to work however the essential deal is...

To Ottawa

Roman Hamrlik

Thomas Plekanec

Jonathan Cheechoo

San Jose First/Second Round pick

Possibly a young player

To Montreal

Patrick Marleau

Christian Ehrhoff

To San Jose

Dany Heatley

Chris Kelly

Defensive prospect from Montreal not named Subban

Conditional draft pick (2nd unless Montreal makes it into the 2nd round of the playoffs; at which time it becomes a 1st)

love it

Would LA let Kopitar go for Price, Marleau, Hamrlik,Gorges...

I know Price was supposed to be the habs saviour, but it didn't turn out that way last season. I think Gainey should take a leap of faith and trade him for a major habs upgrade.

Something like this for example:

to Sharks Heatley,Sergie Kostitsyn,Chipchura

to Sens Andrei Kostitsyn,Plekanec,O'Byrne

to Habs Kopitar,Michalek,Frolov,Quick,Vlasic,Drew Doughty,1st round pick (from kings)

to Kings Price,Marleau,Hamrlik,Gorges

Scott Gomez( C),Brian Gionta(RW),Frolov(LW)

Kopitar( C),Michalek(RW),Cammalleri(LW)

Lapierre( C),Latendresse(RW),Travis Moen(LW)

Metropolit( C),D'Agostini(RW),Pacioretty(LW)

spare: Ben Maxwell,Greg Stewart, Laraque

Defensemen:

Andrei Markov, Drew Doughty

Jaroslav Spacek,Paul Mara

Hal Gill, Vlasic

Weber,Schneider

Goaltenders:

Quick

Halak

128847344485080355.jpg

Oh man... I would be so sad if we ended up with Marleau and Ehrhoff... Unless the deal was Plekanec for Marleau straight up. I would do that in a heartbeat, but the moment other names get thrown into the mix for Marleau I would not even consider it. And Ehrhoff... Why sign Spacek and then trade for Ehrhoff? Both would be doing the exact same thing on our roster, and we would just be plugging up more defensive positions.

Oh man... I would be so sad if we ended up with Marleau and Ehrhoff... Unless the deal was Plekanec for Marleau straight up. I would do that in a heartbeat, but the moment other names get thrown into the mix for Marleau I would not even consider it. And Ehrhoff... Why sign Spacek and then trade for Ehrhoff? Both would be doing the exact same thing on our roster, and we would just be plugging up more defensive positions.

I agree. Don't look for any trades today any ways, my wife and I just saw Bob Gainey out for a walk wit his mom. My wife was thrilled that he said hello to her.

I'm more than happy with the team we have. IMO if we get involved in this deal we'll be getting the short stick as well as helping our rival senators. Like come on haven't we helped them enough with giving up kovy to them?

It just doesn't make sense for me, San Jose has no one we want and we can't afford to lose anyone.

I don't think I want to see cheecho and Erhoff (what is rumored to be what SJ is trying to offload). Who would Ottawa want from our team? I can bet that Ottawa does not want Hamrlik. Hamrlik is the only guy we would move and that is only because of salary.

Because Ehrhoff is a whopping eight years younger than Spacek, a fantastic young defenseman who is a huge improvement over Hamrlik while costing $2.4 million less. The question should be why wouldn't we? Ehrhoff and Spacek together would be a frightening upgrade for this coming season. That said San Jose will never do a Marleau/Plekanec swap. Why would they when both players are UFA and Marleau is beyond superior to Plekanec? You have to give to receive and in this exchange we may lose a draft pick (possibly two) but succeed in dumping a contract we no longer want while acquiring a big body centre. That is a clear win for Montreal.

I don't think I want to see cheecho and Erhoff (what is rumored to be what SJ is trying to offload). Who would Ottawa want from our team? I can bet that Ottawa does not want Hamrlik. Hamrlik is the only guy we would move and that is only because of salary.

They well want him since their defense is questionable however my gut is saying they are eying Plekanec or Andrei Kostitsyn.

Because Ehrhoff is a whopping eight years younger than Spacek, a fantastic young defenseman who is a huge improvement over Hamrlik while costing $2.4 million less. The question should be why wouldn't we? Ehrhoff and Spacek together would be a frightening upgrade for this coming season. That said San Jose will never do a Marleau/Plekanec swap. Why would they when both players are UFA and Marleau is beyond superior to Plekanec? You have to give to receive and in this exchange we may lose a draft pick (possibly two) but succeed in dumping a contract we no longer want while acquiring a big body centre. That is a clear win for Montreal.

Ehrhoff had an off year and still got 40pts, not bad. He's still a little irresponsible defensively but pair him with a stay at home guy and we're set.

A trade for Ehrhoff and Marleau will only happen if we can offload Hamerlik's contract. I like Hammer, I feel he's a pretty solid dman, but if it means getting a big bodied Centreman that can score 30-40 goals a year all I can say is Bon Voyage!

Ya in the 2005 draft Price went in the first round 5th overall and Kopitar went in the first round 11th overall to LA. Wouldn't it be ironic if we were now involved in a trade which sent Price to LA and Kopitar to Mtl?

Something like this:

to Sharks Heatley,Chipchura

to Sens Andrei Kostitsyn,Jarret Stoll,O'Byrne

to Habs Kopitar,Michalek,Dustin Brown,Frolov,Quick,Vlasic,Drew Doughty

to Kings Price,Marleau,Hamrlik,Gorges,D'Agostini,Sergie Kostitsyn

Forwards:

Scott Gomez( C),Brian Gionta(RW),Cammalleri(LW)

Kopitar( C),Dustin Brown(RW),Pacioretty(LW)

Plekanec( C), Michalek(RW),Frolov(LW)

Lapierre( C),Latendresse(RW),Travis Moen(LW)

spare:Metropolit,Ben Maxwell,Greg Stewart, Laraque

Defensemen:

Andrei Markov,Jaroslav Spacek

Drew Doughty,Paul Mara

Hal Gill,Vlasic

Weber,Schneider

Goaltenders:

Jonathan Quick

Jaroslav Halak

Thank God you aren't our GM. Why Don't you just trade the whole montreal team for the whole LA team...

So what if he's younger than Spacek? We have to live with the realities of having Spacek on our roster already, so as much as we want to fantasize about Ehrhoff, we cannot afford him, or offer him a spot on the roster without having to trade out some D. And are we really going to deal Spacek after we just signed him? I guess we could deal Hamrlik, but then we have 3 offensive D-men and lose, what quite possibly might be, our only quality second pairing man. Until I see Spacek, Mara, and Gill play I am not jumping on the, "Our D is so good bandwagon." I just don't see how we could possibly move in Ehrhoff, who was awful last season on defence. -12 on a stacked San Jose team, anyone? There's simply no way I make any deals that bring in more D-men.

You misunderstand... I simply don't want Marleau. If both are struggling halfway through the season... Or, if Marleau is struggling and Plekanec is off to a torrid start, then you could potentially make such a deal. Especially if San Jose wants to free up cap room for something at a later date.

I honestly think Gainey isn't budging until at least the trade deadline.

And depending on where our team is heading into the playoffs (assuming we will be in contention to make the playoffs), we might move a player or 2. But until then hearing abour Erhoff and Marleau coming to Montreal is a little bit of wishful thinking. Besides, I kinda like Hamlik even if he is ridiculously overpriced. He's good at shutting down top players and he would fit very well in a Jacques Martin system.

Marleau is good but nothing special and he too will be UFA next summer. Why burn more assets when our asset pool is thin and there's every likelihood that Marleau will be nothing more than a one-year rental? As for opening a spot or two for the boys in Hamilton, there is a right way and a wrong way to develop talent. If we had really wanted to give AHL players a chance, we wouldn't have signed Gionta.

Any second-line center we acquire in a trade has got to be an upgrade on Plekanec and/or signed beyond this season at a reasonable cap hit. Otherwise there's very little point IMO.

100% agree.

I honestly think Gainey isn't budging until at least the trade deadline.

And depending on where our team is heading into the playoffs (assuming we will be in contention to make the playoffs), we might move a player or 2. But until then hearing abour Erhoff and Marleau coming to Montreal is a little bit of wishful thinking. Besides, I kinda like Hamlik even if he is ridiculously overpriced. He's good at shutting down top players and he would fit very well in a Jacques Martin system.

Agree, agree, agree! I somehow doubt Hamrlik is going anywhere. He's our one FOR SURE second pairing guy. Why take the risk in moving him if the replacement is going to be Ehrhoff? It makes little sense to me. I, too, think Gainey is finished until later in the season. Whether that's the 1/2-way point or the trade deadline, who am I to say?

Actually, if Marleau waive his NTC for Montreal that means that he like the team. So he would probably resign with us.

Or maybe that he's just sick of San Jose? ;)

Actually, if Marleau waive his NTC for Montreal that means that he like the team. So he would probably resign with us.

Same as Kessel "would" re-sign with Boston.

We just can't afford Marleau at anything like 6m/yr plus. We don't have the money. Other players need to be resigned.

Archived