The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Phil Kessel

I looked for a Phil Kessel thread and only found the bogus sharks rumor. This Topic is a jump-off on another note.

Phil Kessel is a 21 year old superstar talent blossoming in front of our eyes being a bit of a primadonna but being completely undervalued by the Boston Bruins, much like Anton Babchuk with the 'Canes. What I do not understand is why NHL GM's do not go after these 2 young studs with an offer sheet. The Bruins clearly messed up their position with their Derek Morris signing and are backed way up against the cap.

Kessel feels slighted and I am certain could be had for a backloaded contract, that helps a team fit under the cap. For example a 5 year 25 million deal, that goes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 million or something to that effect. He is 21, coming off a 36 goal season, is electric on the ice and supremely talented, was projected to go number 1 in his draft year for a long time but is now showing some of the flashes of brilliance. He also put up a solid 11pts in 11 playoff games meaning he can bring it when necessary. Why wouldnt another NHL team sign him to an offer sheet and completely wreak havoc on the Bruins?

Are they all scared of a Burke like rant like Kevin Lowe received? I mean Burke was mad because Lowe used the rules against him perfectly, this is what the Salary Cap is meant for, player movement and competitive balance. Look at the NBA, look how many players move each off-season because other teams push them against the cap. Why don't we see more aggressive GM's in the NHL? I am curious to see what everybody thinks.

Is it because it's considered "Dishonest" to go after a restricted free agent or is it because the draft pick compensation is too high? Let's say you are extremely intelligent and can convince Kessel to sign a 3.9 million dollar per year contract, with incentives and a signing bonus. You would give up a 1st and 3rd round draft pick for him.

That is a great price tag on a 21 year old dazzling speed demon with a soft touch and a 36 goal campaign in his back pocket. If you are a team like the Habs for example who should make the playoffs(or any other playoff contender) and thus pick 15th or lower in each round, the chance of landing a Kessel with either of those picks is extremely slim. Sure, you can argue about potential, but here is a young franchise winger that you have seen play very well in the NHL. Why wouldn't you risk it?

The same goes double for Anton Babchuk who would sign for much cheaper and thus cost less draft picks. I am unsure what the 'Unwritten' rule that everyone is scared to break is. Plus, if the Bruins or Canes match it, they'd be forced into some terrible salary dumps and would greatly weaken strong playoff contenders. This is a win-win situation for any Eastern Conference team. After all, this isn't a rec league aimed at fair play and participation, it's a business, competitve and driven at 1 result: Winning a Cup.

Please let me know what you think...

Right now Boston is dying probably for a team to throw an Offer Sheet. They have no cap space, but they can make wiggle room if they need to. So they proably want someon to throw Phil a lowball Offer Sheet (which he accepts) and then they just clear the space by sending down Sobotka, cutting Begin etc. and they get Kessel cheap.

Or they just take the glutton of picks a big Offer Sheet would offer and teams are very wary of losing first rounders in a slow economy (on top of the fact not many teams can afford that kind of Offer Sheet anyways).

All depends on how you look at his last season. You see it as an aberration, I see it as the start of something big. He projects to be a legit 30-40 goal scorer for a decade, that has already done it once, how many kids late in the draft project to be 30 goal scorers? It's certainly a risk but IMO less of a risk than drafting a couple of players and waiting for them to pan out.

He's 21, NHL ready, playoff tested, played on a contending on which he was the leading goal scorer. I agree that draft picks are important with cap uncertainty but argue that signing young players on the rise is far more valuable. Buy him on the upswing, not 5 years from now coming off his 6th straight 30+ goal season. Kessel is much more of a blue chip prospect than Penner ever was.

Forget the Habs for now, let's say you are the Kings for example, you have talented young players, are on the rise, expected to challenge for a playoff spot, have money to spend and a talented young center for him to play with like Kopitar, wouldn't you take a chance on Kessel? They have been building for years, they don't need more draft picks they need legit guys now. If I am GM of the Kings I certainly take a swing for the fences.

Perhaps, I am too aggressive but it seems like his stock is rising and available for purchase and 30 NHL GM's are asleep at the wheel.

All depends on how you look at his last season. You see it as an aberration, I see it as the start of something big. He projects to be a legit 30-40 goal scorer for a decade, that has already done it once, how many kids late in the draft project to be 30 goal scorers? It's certainly a risk but IMO less of a risk than drafting a couple of players and waiting for them to pan out.

He's 21, NHL ready, playoff tested, played on a contending on which he was the leading goal scorer. I agree that draft picks are important with cap uncertainty but argue that signing young players on the rise is far more valuable. Buy him on the upswing, not 5 years from now coming off his 6th straight 30+ goal season. Kessel is much more of a blue chip prospect than Penner ever was.

Forget the Habs for now, let's say you are the Kings for example, you have talented young players, are on the rise, expected to challenge for a playoff spot, have money to spend and a talented young center for him to play with like Kopitar, wouldn't you take a chance on Kessel? They have been building for years, they don't need more draft picks they need legit guys now. If I am GM of the Kings I certainly take a swing for the fences.

Perhaps, I am too aggressive but it seems like his stock is rising and available for purchase and 30 NHL GM's are asleep at the wheel.

The Kings have about 43 mil committed to 15 players next year, if Kessel signs like a 5/25 that becomes 48 for 16. Thats essnetially the cap the next year.

Interesting topic. so more realistically if we offered Kessel a 5 year, 26 million deal, we could get him for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? In my opinion, I'd do that. This is a kid who could be a future superstar and is already PPG in the playoffs and coming off a 36 goal season: and is only 21! Really, what are the odds we do better with those picks?

Note: I realize we don't have the cap space either (although may be able to clear it)

to tell you the truth i've met too many sports personalities to take the chance right now on trying to get someone that young on the so-called sly.

great topic, and i certainly don't think anyone can cover all the sub-topics involved, so its just my feeling that it like griping too much at this time, but the olympics were once very tight about amatuer status, so like that changed things might change in the nhl, and it might seem more professional some time in the future.

to tell you the truth i've met too many sports personalities to take the chance right now on trying to get someone that young on the so-called sly.

great topic, and i certainly don't think anyone can cover all the sub-topics involved, so its just my feeling that it like griping too much at this time, but the olympics were once very tight about amatuer status, so like that changed things might change in the nhl, and it might seem more professional some time in the future.

:huh:

Personally, I think since Kessel only had the one strong year it becomes a deterrent in giving up all the pics.

Although, Kessel's one of the player's I'd consider taking the risk on. It's a well known fact that he's got great skills.

I think another reason why many GMs aren't trying to grab RFAs is the possible domino effect of revenge.

;)

Maybe....

Personally, I think since Kessel only had the one strong year it becomes a deterrent in giving up all the pics.

Ya but he's only 21 years old. At that age many players haven't had their first good season. The idea is you're getting a player before you know fully what his potential is because it will be cheaper.

In my opinion, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Kessel, at least for a team that is at least a fringe playoff contender (as many questions as I have with this year's team, I'm sure they won't result in a top ten pick) is a steal. This guy is 21, has a 36 goal season under his belt and over two playoffs is PPG. Even the next step up with two firsts, a second, and a third is probably reasonable. I wouldn't do the four firsts though (there are only a couple select players I'd consider this for).

Ya but he's only 21 years old. At that age many players haven't had their first good season. The idea is you're getting a player before you know fully what his potential is because it will be cheaper.

In my opinion, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Kessel, at least for a team that is at least a fringe playoff contender (as many questions as I have with this year's team, I'm sure they won't result in a top ten pick) is a steal. This guy is 21, has a 36 goal season under his belt and over two playoffs is PPG. Even the next step up with two firsts, a second, and a third is probably reasonable. I wouldn't do the four firsts though (there are only a couple select players I'd consider this for).

Problems as I stated before is:

1. You have to make the offer so large that Boston can't clear, because they're just waiting for someone to throw a 3.0-3.5 offer and then they just flip some assets and use their Right of First Refusal to get Phil at a discount.

2. The Habs cap space has to be cleared, I mean you brought up the fact in a thread you made that its just a conundrum keeping Price may be an issue, well lets say you get Phil at 5 mil per, that 49 million commited to 13 players, you better be very creative if you're going to build a good roster off of that with a declining cap.

Problems as I stated before is:

1. You have to make the offer so large that Boston can't clear, because they're just waiting for someone to throw a 3.0-3.5 offer and then they just flip some assets and use their Right of First Refusal to get Phil at a discount.

I said in my post above you'd ideally offer 5.2 million, I'd even consider going up into the next tier.

2. The Habs cap space has to be cleared, I mean you brought up the fact in a thread you made that its just a conundrum keeping Price may be an issue, well lets say you get Phil at 5 mil per, that 49 million commited to 13 players, you better be very creative if you're going to build a good roster off of that with a declining cap.

This thread is in "Around the League" I'm not speaking specifically about the Habs getting him. I mean any team with space or which could clear space (if Montreal could move Hamrlik or something, then I'd think about it). Or had we not gotten Gionta. I'm not saying we should do this right away, just that it would have been an interesting idea.

I said in my post above you'd ideally offer 5.2 million, I'd even consider going up into the next tier.

This thread is in "Around the League" I'm not speaking specifically about the Habs getting him. I mean any team with space or which could clear space (if Montreal could move Hamrlik or something, then I'd think about it). Or had we not gotten Gionta. I'm not saying we should do this right away, just that it would have been an interesting idea.

Well you said above, "I don't think this team will result in a top 10 pick" so I assumed that was in reference to the Habs signing him.

Well you said above, "I don't think this team will result in a top 10 pick" so I assumed that was in reference to the Habs signing him.

Okay fair enough, although I also said "Note: I realize we don't have the cap space either (although may be able to clear it)"

I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of the Habs but knowing that we can't actually afford to do it as we sit.

Graeme, I think the general point we're both trying to make is if you evaluate Phil Kessel and realize that this season was just scratching the surface as I feel, than as a GM of a playoff bound team you must ask yourself is: Do any of our first 3 round draft picks over the next 5 years have as good have a chance as this kid at becoming a legit 40 goal scorer? Hard to say prospectively but if you look at the Habs as a sample, do any of our first 3 round draft picks over the last decade have a chance to outscore Phil Kessel over the next 5 years.

To me, the answer is a no with Andrei Kostitsyn being the only player capable of possibly staying close. (Please spare the Latendresse hyperbole)In light of that fact, I might project that Phil Kessel is a better bet than any of the kids I probably would pick.

Hence, 3 draft picks in the 20/40/60 range of the 2010 draft for Phil Kessel now, seems like an excellent trade. The Habs should definitely consider it, as moneyball said perhaps the Bruins are waiting for a lowball offer but I certainly don't think they could match a 5 year/22.5-25 Million dollar deal, that for my mind seems as reasonable as the deal we gave Gionta. Kessel, is a rarity a kind not yet in his prime available at the ground floor. Teams should be jumping at him far more than they did Hossa or especially Gaborik, IMHO.

Also, still using the Habs as an example strictly because I know the team the best, if you're a contender dumping a Salary like Hamrlik, you'd certainly get a top 3 round selection in return, likely a second rounder, from an inferior team.

Then, as the Habs, you'd have to think that between O'Byrne, Weber, Carle, Belle and Subban one is ready to step into a top 6 defenceman role. So, yet again you have become younger and more skilled. Anyway, as I said I use the Habs as an example because I know the roster/prospect situation better but I believe this principal applies to all teams with lower tier draft picks.

Hence, 3 draft picks in the 20/40/60 range of the 2010 draft for Phil Kessel now, seems like an excellent trade. The Habs should definitely consider it, as moneyball said perhaps the Bruins are waiting for a lowball offer but I certainly don't think they could match a 5 year/22.5-25 Million dollar deal, that for my mind seems as reasonable as the deal we gave Gionta. Kessel, is a rarity a kind not yet in his prime available at the ground floor. Teams should be jumping at him far more than they did Hossa or especially Gaborik, IMHO.

I completely agree and am surprised that no one has jumped on him. I mean hes 21 with that kind of potential. Teams are always on the lookout for someone like this and here he is and nobody moves, its mind boggling. :blink:

Archived