Canadiens de Montreal

#79 - Andrei Markov 2009-10

franck5890

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YAY! I'm the first in here :D

Here's to another great season by the Dark Knight, cant wait to see him in action again.

Markie, please stay healthy all season for heaven's sake! :P See ya at the Bell soon (or in some opponents' arena) :D

I just watched that movie the other day. I am convinced more now, than ever before, that Markov is indeed... Batman! :D:lol:

A few words from Markie at the golf tournament yesterday:

About captaincy: Markov says he doesn't think he's ready for such a challenge. It's not the media part of the job that makes him hesitate but rather that he doesn't feel able to stand in the dressing room to kick his teammates' butt into action.

About the new team: He's excited about the new additions, he likes the mix of younger and older guys and the speed. He would have liked for Kovi to stay but 'that's hockey, what cant you do'.

http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/canadie...arkov-capitaine

About captaincy: Markov says he doesn't think he's ready for such a challenge. It's not the media part of the job that makes him hesitate but rather that he doesn't feel able to stand in the dressing room to kick his teammates' butt into action.

About the new team: He's excited about the new additions, he likes the mix of younger and older guys and the speed. He would have liked for Kovi to stay but 'that's hockey, what cant you do'.

what has become of the wooden stick? seems to me back in the day if was sufficient for a captain to just lower his eyes or something.

no seriously-- times sure have changed when a guy like markov has to worry about "l'aise."

interesting. i didn't think the media would bother him but i understand his hesitation in terms of being a motivator. koivu was a quiet leader but maybe the boys need a voice in the room.

It wouldn't surprise if going wasn't the "silent" leader he is made out to be. I can't really picture him yelling to pump everyone up before game, as that doesn't seem to be in his nature, but I bet he was much more vocal in the room then many of us assume. No real concrete facts to back this up. But I remember seeing him talking to different guys on the bench throughout the year during the game, especially Tanguay and Kovy when the true scoring line was finally put together.

It wouldn't surprise if going wasn't the "silent" leader he is made out to be. I can't really picture him yelling to pump everyone up before game, as that doesn't seem to be in his nature, but I bet he was much more vocal in the room then many of us assume. No real concrete facts to back this up. But I remember seeing him talking to different guys on the bench throughout the year during the game, especially Tanguay and Kovy when the true scoring line was finally put together.

He's yapping continuously during games (they should mic him one day, it could be fun :D ). I guess he's just not comfortable with "telling" the guys to move their butt

the gazette:

"Defenceman Andrei Markov will not be the next captain of the Canadiens.

The Gazette has learned that Markov, who wore an "A" on his jersey as one of the assistant captains last season, was asked whether he wanted to wear the "C", but told the Habs he wasn't interested.

Markov's decision isn't surprising. The veteran Russian is an intensely private person and, while he has been more accessible to the media in recent years, it would be difficult to see him in a role requiring him to be available on an almost daily basis."

assuming this is true, i'm a little disappointed but i support and respect his decision. i'd rather his focus was on the ice anyway - especially with such an altered team.

hopefully we'll have three alternating a's until a captain emerges.

the gazette:

The Gazette has learned that Markov, who wore an "A" on his jersey as one of the assistant captains last season, was asked whether he wanted to wear the "C", but told the Habs he wasn't interested.

Markov's decision isn't surprising. The veteran Russian is an intensely private person and, while he has been more accessible to the media in recent years, it would be difficult to see him in a role requiring him to be available on an almost daily basis."

assuming this is true, i'm a little disappointed but i support and respect his decision. i'd rather his focus was on the ice anyway - especially with such an altered team.

I think that this is really important, and maybe Markov realized this. Although I bet he'd have surprised a lot of people as captain (including maybe himself) I'm hoping for a 100% off-ice distraction free year this year. Lord knows we're due :P

With someone who's more naturally outgoing, talking to the media wouldn't really be that much of a problem. With Markov though, at least we'll know our MVP is concentrating on what he does best: hockey.

I think that this is really important, and maybe Markov realized this. Although I bet he'd have surprised a lot of people as captain (including maybe himself) I'm hoping for a 100% off-ice distraction free year this year. Lord knows we're due :P

With someone who's more naturally outgoing, talking to the media wouldn't really be that much of a problem. With Markov though, at least we'll know our MVP is concentrating on what he does best: hockey.

exactly.

tbh, i'm just happy that management acknowledged his value by offering him the chance to be captain in the first place. :)

the gazette:

I'm not disappointed at all, I'm actually relieved , remember, 'tranquility' ;)

Doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me. He's still our MVP and the anchor of our defense.

Cant get any truer than this

exactly.

tbh, i'm just happy that management acknowledged his value by offering him the chance to be captain in the first place. :)

And being the poster boy on the Bell Centre :lol:

Archived