The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 - Ryan O'Byrne 2009-10

franck5890

• 1 month later...
I think the signing of Gill and Mara will really help in the development of O'byrne. When he comes into his own we'll be happy we got him imho.

It's not going to help him too much when he's going to be constantly sitting out as the 7th defenceman.

one thing is for sure, that there is great potential in OB.

+1

This guy is going to be good, give him 2-3 years in the NHL and he will be a coveted D-man in the league. Remember how ordinary Chara was before going to Boston. Ob is basically a player with the same tools but just has not matured yet. I don't think he will be as great as Chara but he will be very solid IMO. If people boo him out of town for a mistake he made last year they will regret it MMW.

It's not going to help him too much when he's going to be constantly sitting out as the 7th defenceman.

Absolutely it will you can learn alot just from watching the way a vet works out and approaches situations on and off the ice. He'll get enough ice to take these lessons and apply them don't worry.

Absolutely it will you can learn alot just from watching the way a vet works out and approaches situations on and off the ice. He'll get enough ice to take these lessons and apply them don't worry.

He's going to be going in rusty and he's going to make mistakes. Remember what happens when mistakes happen in Montreal? His confidence will be killed again.

He's going to be going in rusty and he's going to make mistakes. Remember what happens when mistakes happen in Montreal? His confidence will be killed again.

Part of how his confidence was destroyed was due to Carboaching. Ryan unfortunately got sent out night after night against top-tier players, while his coach made no effort to manage the opposition his D pairing faced. Martin is a very cautious, systems-oriented coach, and I doubt he will throw Ryan to the wolves the way Carbonneau did. That alone should do wonders for O'Byrne's development.

Part of how his confidence was destroyed was due to Carboaching. Ryan unfortunately got sent out night after night against top-tier players, while his coach made no effort to manage the opposition his D pairing faced. Martin is a very cautious, systems-oriented coach, and I doubt he will throw Ryan to the wolves the way Carbonneau did. That alone should do wonders for O'Byrne's development.

No doubt,

I love the changes that were made this summer if not just for the way the new players should better surround and support our young players. The new coaching staff and D-men will especially help guys like O'b and Price. I think that the continued development of our young players at the NHL level was mishandled for the couple of seasons and JMs track record in this regard brings new hope and a bright future. Look for the development spike to be steep indeed!

Jacques said today that Ryan will be given a fresh chance under him, which is good to see

That's excellent news. I'm assuming he should easily make the team as the number 7 d-man. We won't really need someone like Weber immediately given the added offense that Spacek brings to the table. Someone with size, who's more well-rounded, like O'B might be a better option to start the season. Who knows? Maybe by the end of the year he will have surmounted a regular position away from someone else.

He also reportedly put on 8lbs of muscle and took boxing lessons over the summer.

I think he's really trying to become the player he needs to be in Montreal: A big physical defensive presence. He could replace Hal Gill by next season if he shows improvement.

I read somewhere that he shows similar potential to Mike Komisarek. Only time will tell.

He also reportedly put on 8lbs of muscle and took boxing lessons over the summer.

I think he's really trying to become the player he needs to be in Montreal: A big physical defensive presence. He could replace Hal Gill by next season if he shows improvement.

I read somewhere that he shows similar potential to Mike Komisarek. Only time will tell.

He was drafted 79th overall, in the 3rd round of the 2003 draft.

Mike Komisarek was drafted 7th overall, in the 1st round of the 2001 draft.

He was drafted 79th overall, in the 3rd round of the 2003 draft.

Mike Komisarek was drafted 7th overall, in the 1st round of the 2001 draft.

The draft selection prioritizes players by the probability of them making it to the NHL at a point in time (when they are 17/18 yrs old)

To say today that O'b has the potential to be as good or better then Komi is not a pipe dream at all.

That's excellent news. I'm assuming he should easily make the team as the number 7 d-man. We won't really need someone like Weber immediately given the added offense that Spacek brings to the table. Someone with size, who's more well-rounded, like O'B might be a better option to start the season. Who knows? Maybe by the end of the year he will have surmounted a regular position away from someone else.

agreed. considering how much he had improved coming into his final call-up of the season last year, i see no reason why he shouldn't be our 7th d. his size and experience should give him the edge.

agreed. considering how much he had improved coming into his final call-up of the season last year, i see no reason why he shouldn't be our 7th d. his size and experience should give him the edge.

Komisarek's potential is as a reliable top-f shutdown d-man, leaving aside last season when his potential was to stand helplessly as there are puck battles at the net following which the puck would go in.

I'd be surprised if O'Byrne reaches that level we saw of Komisarek in 2007-08 or that we'll probably see of him in Toronto this year.

Komisarek's potential is as a reliable top-f shutdown d-man, leaving aside last season when his potential was to stand helplessly as there are puck battles at the net following which the puck would go in.

I'd be surprised if O'Byrne reaches that level we saw of Komisarek in 2007-08 or that we'll probably see of him in Toronto this year.

I think that O'byrne has the potential to be as good as Komi. Remember Komi only had one good year in the NHL and O'B is younger.

O'B has something to prove this year. Let's see if he delivers

Time will tell!

i don't see o'byrne reaching komisarek's potential this season which is why i have him as our 7th d and not paired with markov. however, i'm also not convinced komisarek will live up to his own potential this season. ;)

The fans and especially the Montreal Canadiens have to be patient with the defencemen like O'Byrne. Remember when Zdeno Chara first appeared in the N.H.L., he looked and played like an awkward clown. When Larry Robinson started for Montreal years ago, he too, was a bundle of nerves. You didn't have time to forget one mistake that these guys had already made another but after a few years of experience everyone in the league wanted them on their roster. Teams have to be patient when they bring up a young defenceman. Last year O'Byrne would have needed the guidance of a defencive coach which the Habs did not have. Also, Carbonneau did not show sufficient patience towards the young defenceman. Everytime he would make an error, he was benched and often wouldn't see icetime for a few games. Young defencemen are projects that an organisation have to work on. You match up a guy like O'Byrne with a veteran like Hamrlyk and let him play and learn and bloom.

Archived