The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Guillaume Latendresse

• 1 month later...

While I do think he was mishandled in the early stages of his career (Last year likely should have been his rookie year IMO but I think that has more to do with the flaws of the Junior system than anything) I do like the progress I've seen from him.

I'm happy with where Gui is at, and hope that he can crack the second line and start to get bigger minutes in different situations. Last season, he was a consistent even-strength producer despite spending most of his time on checking/energy lines. IMO he'd be great as a big-body net presence on the second unit PP.

This is a very important year for GUI. He has to step up his game when given time on the top lines. The only time I seen GUI do anything worth while was when he was playing against the opposing teams 3rd and 4th lines. Thats probably why he was scoring efectively when he was moved down a couple of lines, he did not have to play against the other teams better players.

If he cannot prove he belongs on one of the top two lines this season I think he will be packing his suit cases and will start to get moved around like a another big french born player by the name of Steve Bernier.

Im expecting big things from him..

Last season he was great, lets hope he has more steam in the tank..

As his board work was amazing, it just seemed as if his 5-15 seconds of controlling the puck along the boards he would tucker out and then just give the puck away with a bad pass...

but the board work was SUPER

Im expecting big things from him..

Last season he was great, lets hope he has more steam in the tank..

As his board work was amazing, it just seemed as if his 5-15 seconds of controlling the puck along the boards he would tucker out and then just give the puck away with a bad pass...

but the board work was SUPER

Hopefully he continues to improve said board work. And let's hope that after he maintains possession he starts making good 1st passes to his linemates for scoring opportunities. Or gets himself into scoring areas! I think he's going to earn a top-6 spot on the team this year, and hopefully he takes advantage of the chance.

I hope to see Gui drop a few more people like he did Pratt last year. I know GSP is a big habs fan and I hope Gui, if he hasn't already, befriends him and eventually maybe even training a little with George. What a Power forward TENDER could turn out to be

Actually GSP said his team growing up was the Oilers.

I'd rather him stay on the third line with Lapierre where he has no pressure of scoring and can learn from Lapierre's work ethic on the ice.

I agree. They seem to play good together. So why break them apart? Plus I think it is more realistic for 15 to 25 goals unless Gui is hiding some offensive talents which I have never seen in his first 3 full NHL seasons. 15 to 25 goals is very respectable for a 3rd line player. Not good enough for a top 6 forward, IMO unless the same player has tons of assists or a strong FO% which is basically what Gomez brings to the top 6.

I agree this is an important season for Gui. Basically why he was signed to a one year deal. Gui wants bigger money so he will have motivation to have a break out season. BG has to decide whether Gui deserves a roster spot compared to some of the forwards in Hamilton, juniors, and Europe if his production or level of play does not see improvement this season. Ironically. Play like last December when Lapierre and Latendresse were the best or second best forward line for our team and our team will have a very good season. And Gui will get a bigger contract.

Might sound like a negative but I want Gui to be a 3rd line player for the next 10 seasons. 15 to 25 goals every year. Some big body checks. Hopefully some toughness. This would be a successful career for a 2nd round draft pick AND it would mean that our top two lines have forwards that are one level or two levels above the production of Gui. Well. Three lines with that much depth would result in wins. Wins means our team makes the playoffs. Making the playoffs means a chance to win the Cup.

This is a very important year for GUI. He has to step up his game when given time on the top lines. The only time I seen GUI do anything worth while was when he was playing against the opposing teams 3rd and 4th lines. Thats probably why he was scoring efectively when he was moved down a couple of lines, he did not have to play against the other teams better players.

If he cannot prove he belongs on one of the top two lines this season I think he will be packing his suit cases and will start to get moved around like a another big french born player by the name of Steve Bernier.

Typically a team's third line is used as a checking line and matches up against the other team's top line, unless a team wants to use it's powerhouse line against the other team's scoring lines to exploit their defensive shortcomings (see: Ottawa using their big line against a lot of other scoring lines during their strong years a few seasons back).

I believe when Gui played on the third/fourth line, he would have been playing against players who are more offensively gifted but aren't solely set on shutting him down. What really led to his success on the line was that the line was always skating hard and making the most of turnovers, as well as driving the net.

I agree. They seem to play good together. So why break them apart? Plus I think it is more realistic for 15 to 25 goals unless Gui is hiding some offensive talents which I have never seen in his first 3 full NHL seasons. 15 to 25 goals is very respectable for a 3rd line player. Not good enough for a top 6 forward, IMO unless the same player has tons of assists or a strong FO% which is basically what Gomez brings to the top 6.

20-25 goals for a third line player would be considered pretty exceptional if you ask me.

You mean after missing 19 games with a shoulder injury in February and March? <_<:rolleyes:

ya and what does that have to with April? what about 2008 in the Philly series when he went and hid as well, time for him to be a man in the playoffs

ya and what does that have to with April? what about 2008 in the Philly series when he went and hid as well, time for him to be a man in the playoffs

So, what you're saying is when you miss a month and a half immediately before the month of April you are expected, in every case, to come back and play awesome in April? That's a ridiculous assertation to suggest for a 3rd line player who was 21.

So, what you're saying is when you miss a month and a half immediately before the month of April you are expected, in every case, to come back and play awesome in April? That's a ridiculous assertation to suggest for a 3rd line player who was 21.

and if he didnt give the same performance in 2008 i would agree but he has a record of hiding when the big boys play hockey in April

He did played seven games in the Month of March, thats two weeks of hockey. He should have already been in pretty good game shape it was his shoulder not anywhere near the legs.

After a few games he should have been back in the rythym of the game.

He had 3 points the month of april and a -1 in 11 games

The year before and no injury before April as an excuse he had 2 points and a -3 in 12 games.

There is a reason he was not signed to a long term contract this season. Even though some seem to think he the next best thing since sliced cheese.

He did played seven games in the Month of March, thats two weeks of hockey. He should have already been in pretty good game shape it was his shoulder not anywhere near the legs.

After a few games he should have been back in the rythym of the game.

He had 3 points the month of april and a -1 in 11 games

The year before and no injury before April as an excuse he had 2 points and a -3 in 12 games.

There is a reason he was not signed to a long term contract this season. Even though some seem to think he the next best thing since sliced cheese.

The whole team sucked last year I really don't see how you can use any of last years stats to judge our players this year. They have new teammates new coaching staff and its a new season. You will see that every single player we had last year that we still have this year will do a lot better. I'm not worried about Latendresse at all.

According to the game reports, he was really throwing the body around against Florida last night. Good sign.

Yeah, I watched the game at work. He was solid on the forecheck and crunched Ville Koistinen behind the net.

In addition to his prowesss on the forecheck, he had a few chances from around the goalmouth - an encouraging sign to be sure.

Welcome to another season of: As the world turns around Guilliaume Latendresse...His pundits will tell you that the only reason he has a roster spot in the first place is because he's French...And the reason he was only signed to a 1-year deal is because he's most likely gone at the end of this year.

If this is the case, BG did a poor job of setting up to trade Lats...He made the team smaller thus putting more of a sense of urgency to have bigger bodies like Lats in the line up...And if being french is the only reason to give him a spot in the line up; Then why did we bother signing Gionta, Camelleri, Gomez and Spacek; When we could have simply brought in Leblanc, Desharnais, Masse and Carle?

The reason why Lats has a place in the line up isn't bacause he fills a cultural void, but because he fill a physical void...This team likes size and hitting and Gui does both very well...And who knows, maybe with the new WINNING culture in the locker room, he'll finally have that break out season his pundits claim he's incapable of.

Either way, I will wait until the puck drops for real for any deeper analysis or criticism.