The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 - Brian Gionta 2009-10

franck5890

• 1 month later...
while I wish we could have signed him for less or fewer years, I DO think he will play up to his contract & i DO think we're going to be very happy with this signing in the years to come. ;)

I don't think he's likely to play up to his contract. The term is terrible, with that being said this guy is a good hockey player and he fits the system well. I do expect him to throw up a 25-30 goal season with 60+ points and solid, smart hockey in the early part of the contract. As for the back half? Let's just cross our fingers...

while I wish we could have signed him for less or fewer years, I DO think he will play up to his contract & i DO think we're going to be very happy with this signing in the years to come. ;)

I hope you're right Jedimaas. I am most worried about this player! He was one of our last signings, and I do believe we overpaid for him. That, right there, sets us up for disappointment. If he can somehow find a way to contribute 30 goals I would satisified, but I am also worried he will struggle. Was that ever-elusive right-handed shot really worth $5 million/season? I guess we shall see in a month or two.

I would have preferred $4 million for 3 years, but I'll deal with it.

My guess is that a team like Detroit or SJ could have signed him for that. A team like Montreal, which is usually not a 'free agent hotbed' obviously had to go higher.

I think Graeme summed it up best when we were talking about it after the signing. I argued that I felt we should wait & see - he might very well live up to that contract (certainly last year - 60 pts while being a defensive stalwart was worth $5m) - and he's not going to be "ancient" at the end of the contract either - most players are still playing well at 35.

Graeme's point was not that he couldnt live up to his contract - he agreed that perhaps he will - graeme's concern was that he felt we didnt need to PAY him that contract to sign him. In other words, while he may play up to $5m a year, he likely should have been 'getable' for $4m or less & perhaps for a shorter term.

My gut feeling is that gainey & martin really felt he was just the player they needed & as such, price was not an option. It seems like a bad way to do dealings, but Im still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

With Gomez in new jersey he was a power play monster, i think he scored 26 or 28 of his 48 goals on the power play in that amazing season that they had.

Plus he was on a great pace the next year (with Gomez again) when he pulled a groin or something i can't really remember to have another 35 goals season.

Still ended up with 25 goals that season missing 20 games.

I'm just afraid that he will look like a mosquito on the ice being bounced around like a pinball.

He's actually like Boullion - he has very strong legs & with the low centre of gravity is surprisingly hard to knock off the puck. add to that amazing speed & shiftiness & he's quite a bit more effective than his frame would make one believe.

He's actually like Boullion - he has very strong legs & with the low centre of gravity is surprisingly hard to knock off the puck. add to that amazing speed & shiftiness & he's quite a bit more effective than his frame would make one believe.

A Bouillon who can score? :o That sounds pretty awesome! I guess there won't be much waiting now, anyway. We will be watching him in action during pre-season at the end of the month. Then we will see what Gionta has! ;)

Methinks Gionta might be just what the doctor ordered for Pleki. They both scored in the scrimmage today but more important, they have been talking a lot since the camp started to get to know how the other plays and to learn to find the other quickly on the ice.

Goatie bonding? :D

Insideout06.preview.JPG

Photo: Habs InsideOut

Methinks Gionta might be just what the doctor ordered for Pleki. They both scored in the scrimmage today but more important, they have been talking a lot since the camp started to get to know how the other plays and to learn to find the other quickly on the ice.

Goatie bonding? :D

Insideout06.preview.JPG

Photo: Habs InsideOut

Now we're talking! Two pluses for the price of....well, two, I guess....maybe more, given the cap hit....but who cares about the price if it works?

I think there's a lot more left in Gionta, and playing in Montreal is a sure way to find that out. Make or break time....but the new coach will emphasize "make" for sure. And Pleks may have found the perfect fit for that elusive "chemistry." You never know.

I'm hoping that one great season wasn't a fluke, but my inital thoughts are he's a good acquisition. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Go Brian!

We could make it a true goatee line! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I'd love to see this line together. Hopefully they get a shot.

I think the key with Plekanec is to flank him with wingers who aren't afraid to go into the dirty areas and drive to the net. Gionta, by all accounts, isn't shy about paying the physical price to score, while Lats has improved tremendously in this regard in the past year and has the size to compete effectively down low. Let Pleks be an effective perimeter player and the line could surprise.

Archived