The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#40 - Maxim Lapierre 2009-10

franck5890

And then when Begin was resigned for, what... 2 or 3 years @ $1.1 million/season? Wow, was that ever a mistake!

lol yeah he was, and before people start telling me why Lapierre is better than Begin was, I know I wasn't comparing them. Just stating that those types of players are often overrated and overvalued.

He might be committed to the team for the long haul, but is the team committed to Maxim for the long haul? What could we possibly gain by resigning Max (let's pretend long term) given that he's a 3rd/4th energy pest. If he wants to be a leader and stay with this club for years to come I hope he's going to show us something more this season.

After reading that, I'm pretty sure you weren't watching the same Max as the rest of the NHL was watching last season.

What could we possibly gain by re-signing Max? Um, stability, dedication, great work ethics, on ice leader, he's a fan favourite, he's a killer in the face off circle and he was one of our more consistent players last year. He's a great third or fourth liner - granted, no top two liner, but he surprised pretty much the whole league last season.

In fact, I just watched a thing on TSN and they were talking about the most "shocking" players of last season and Lappy was third on the list - not too shabby.

Lappy had one or two bad games last season, which was considerably better than A LOT of our "super stars" on the team.

If you're hoping for more from him this season you need to re-evaluate your expectations on players, because that's too high.

I'll say it again: though I like what Max brings to the table, IMO you don't make a young player your captain unless he's a top skill player who is clearly one of the core components of your team (Crosby in Pittsburgh, Toews in Chicago). Lapierre works hard and I love his energy, but he is a third-line center at best, and fairly replaceable in terms of his skill set. As such, I'd rather wait a few years until he gets a bit older and can command the respect of the dressing-room through consistency before we think about making him captain.

We did it with Koivu and he was our second longest serving captain.

Koivu was young when he was made captain and he certainly wasn't no Crosby.

He was an emerging offensive star, though. If I recall correctly, back then he was projected to be far more of an offensive force than he eventually became (maybe because of injuries, wingers, etc)

After reading that, I'm pretty sure you weren't watching the same Max as the rest of the NHL was watching last season.

What could we possibly gain by re-signing Max? Um, stability, dedication, great work ethics, on ice leader, he's a fan favourite, he's a killer in the face off circle and he was one of our more consistent players last year. He's a great third or fourth liner - granted, no top two liner, but he surprised pretty much the whole league last season.

In fact, I just watched a thing on TSN and they were talking about the most "shocking" players of last season and Lappy was third on the list - not too shabby.

Lappy had one or two bad games last season, which was considerably better than A LOT of our "super stars" on the team.

If you're hoping for more from him this season you need to re-evaluate your expectations on players, because that's too high.

I was definitely watching the same Max. ;) And I appreicate everything he does for the club. But to consider him a captain, or essential to the long-term success of the club, is over the top in my opinion. On Max's best day... Sure, he gets an 'A' because he's a fan favourite, or because he displays good work ethic. However, he's not shown me (at this point in his career) that he deserves anything more than 1 or 2 year contracts for under $1 million.

I disagree. Some players score a monumental amount of goals in the Q and that fails to ever translate to goals in the NHL. Why should we assume because he captained a team in the Q that he could captain a team in the NHL? Lapierre plays with an intense amount of drive, but I don't feel that should translate to captaincy. I feel our captian should be a team member who the club has a long-term investment in. It should also be a player who has a long term investment with us. Lapierre may love being here, but he's a replaceable 4th line center. 3rd line, at best.

I disagree. You cant replace a guy like lapierre so easily like you say. Heart and character is the best traits to have going for you especially in a 3rd or 4th line, hes got better hands now and hes a home town player that means hes giving his 110% every game.

I disagree. You cant replace a guy like lapierre so easily like you say. Heart and character is the best traits to have going for you especially in a 3rd or 4th line, hes got better hands now and hes a home town player that means hes giving his 110% every game.

I respectfully disagree. I bet you could find hundreds of players (Quebec-born players, at that) who would gladly play NHL level hockey with the same motivation and ethic that Lapierre displays night in and night out. Trouble is... Well, they may not quite have enough skill to make it work. I do, however, think there are tons of NHL calibre players who you could replace Lapierre with. Heck, in the next few seasons we are going to have any number of young guys in our own organization who might supplant Lapierre's position. Kyle Chipchura, Ryan White, just to name two.

He was an emerging offensive star, though. If I recall correctly, back then he was projected to be far more of an offensive force than he eventually became (maybe because of injuries, wingers, etc)

Exactly. Saku was a very gifted center with top-end ability when he first broke into the league. Major injuries (knee, eye) and cancer wore down his body, but when he was anointed captain, there was every reason to think he'd be an elite scorer in the league.

Also, I wasn't saying that every young captain had to be Sidney Crosby specifically. I was only arguing that if you're going to give the 'C' to a young player, that player had better be one of the top skilled players on your team and an undisputed core component of the franchise. Neither of which applies to Lapierre, I'm sorry to say.

I agree Rocknroll.

Lappy is a fantastic 3rd/4th liner.

I think we'd have a hard time replacing him.

Laps is also a great pest don't forget. I'd say one of the top 10 pest in the league. As a thrid-liner, energy guy, i think he's top notch. To say he's easily replaced is misleading. It's true that thrid line energy guys are a dime a dozen, but I think a thrid line energy guy whos' also a big time thorn in the opponets side, good on face offs, and adequate (~15 goals) on offense is a bit tougher to find. Is he a canidate for Captain? I dont' think so. But he IS a player I think the habs should keep around for a long time (although via a few short-term contracts)

I'll say it again: though I like what Max brings to the table, IMO you don't make a young player your captain unless he's a top skill player who is clearly one of the core components of your team (Crosby in Pittsburgh, Toews in Chicago). Lapierre works hard and I love his energy, but he is a third-line center at best, and fairly replaceable in terms of his skill set. As such, I'd rather wait a few years until he gets a bit older and can command the respect of the dressing-room through consistency before we think about making him captain.

Agreed. And at best, I probably wouldn't give him more than an "A" to wear on his sweater.

Archived