The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#40 - Maxim Lapierre 2009-10

franck5890

Oh God, please not more than $900K. $1.1 million would be an awful decision, IMO. Lapierre is overrated as far as I am concerned and had an awful regular season in 2009-2010. I was expecting him to sign for between $800K-$900K, but I wouldn't want him on any more than one year deal.

Well he has shown some sparks at the end of the regular season and during the whole playoff run. Perhaps when he was benched was his turning point? :D

In any case, a one year deal of 1.1million wouldn't kill anyone. It's either he plays over expectations or gets the hell out of here for 2011-2012.

Would you be surprised to see him go to arbitration?

With all the talent and prospects that the Habs have accumulated, There will be more than enough competition for 3rd and 4thj line positions. So any players pushing for bigger money for those spots could be in for a surprise of their own doing.

With all the talent and prospects that the Habs have accumulated, There will be more than enough competition for 3rd and 4thj line positions. So any players pushing for bigger money for those spots could be in for a surprise of their own doing.

Agreed. I hope the days of paying 4th liners more than they're worth is over. If Lapierre wants something over $1 million I would say, "bye-bye," to Maxim and let him go UFA.

Oh God, please not more than $900K. $1.1 million would be an awful decision, IMO. Lapierre is overrated as far as I am concerned and had an awful regular season in 2009-2010. I was expecting him to sign for between $800K-$900K, but I wouldn't want him on any more than one year deal.

Why would $1.1 million be a bad salary for a one-year contract? The 200k salary differential isn't going to bust us against the cap and it keeps Maxim working hard on a short-term deal instead of taking his spot for granted. At the end of next season, we're in a win-win situation. If he's had a great season, we benefited and can cut him loose in favor of a younger, cheaper option; conversely, if he's had a poor season, we're not on the hook for his contract beyond 10-11.

I would not be opposed at all to sign him yo a 3 year deal around 3.5 to 4 milli, a cap hit around 1.15 to 1.33....He has size, he has speed, he can fill in on the top lines, and he can play center or the wing, he is in his prime.

This.

I would not be opposed at all to sign him yo a 3 year deal around 3.5 to 4 milli, a cap hit around 1.15 to 1.33....He has size, he has speed, he can fill in on the top lines, and he can play center or the wing, he is in his prime.

I think last year was a bit of a flukey off-year for him. The playoffs, as well as other regular seasons show us that the guy can play, and wont cost much. I agree with at least a two year deal. Pay him up to 1.2 a year and I think he'd earn it.

I agree... but will the Habs?

I thing he had a problem with the shift from Carbo to Martin and with all the new faces and the change in the room. I would give him 1 year 1.2 to see if that was the case. We did the same for plecky last year no?

What... a 3rd liner still unsigned? Must be a toss-up between him and... ??? Price???

I don't think there is any doubt the Habs will sign both Lapierre and Price, I guess they both will go to arbitration.

I think Lapierre is arbitration eligible (could be wrong) but Carey definitely is not.

Lapierre is indeed eligible for arbitration. This is his second RFA contract, not his first.

I thought it was based on a few factors, including pro experience and not really which RFA contract you're on. I'm not totally sure.

Regardless though I'm almost positive Lapierre is eligible.

I thought it was based on a few factors, including pro experience and not really which RFA contract you're on. I'm not totally sure.

Regardless though I'm almost positive Lapierre is eligible.

Ah, my bad. I thought it was solely determined by the number of RFA contracts. Do you know how much pro experience you need in order to be eligible?

Ah, my bad. I thought it was solely determined by the number of RFA contracts. Do you know how much pro experience you need in order to be eligible?

I'm not even 100% sure that's how it works. Where's Wayne when you need him.

This is the best thing I could find, but I'm not sure of the date or the reliability of the site,

http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement12.asp

Lapierre is overrated as far as I am concerned and had an awful regular season in 2009-2010.

yes, laps had a pretty bad regular season but he was playing with bgl and mab for the most of part of it. when he was moved on the moore's wing his production has increased dramaticly.

Archived