The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#11 - Scott Gomez 2009-10

franck5890

• 1 month later...

Im an huge Rangers fan and i come in peace, allthough i would love to thank yall for the robbery of higgins mcdonuagh for Gomez contract. Theres a few things you should know about Gomez.

He is fast.

THATS IT!

He cant set up, he tends to make unhuman atempts to pass through 4 sticks, and his trade mark skating style is to skate in

through the blue line fast and then take a Q TIP shot the the goalies chest. His shot is very very weak and trust me you guys will be eager to trade him away just like we were. Actually gettin rid of Gomez was our best move this summer, and we've made some nice moves.

But maybe Gionta can help him look better.

Congrats for Cammaleri though and Paul Mara is a real warrior. We Rangers fans are sad to see him go he is a really nice pickup for you guys.

And could you guys fill me in about Higgins, how is he as a player?

Peace.

Im an huge Rangers fan and i come in peace, allthough i would love to thank yall for the robbery of higgins mcdonuagh for Gomez contract. Theres a few things you should know about Gomez.

He is fast.

THATS IT!

He cant set up, he tends to make unhuman atempts to pass through 4 sticks, and his trade mark skating style is to skate in

through the blue line fast and then take a Q TIP shot the the goalies chest. His shot is very very weak and trust me you guys will be eager to trade him away just like we were. Actually gettin rid of Gomez was our best move this summer, and we've made some nice moves.

Congrats for Cammaleri though and Paul Mara is a real warrior. We Rangers fans are sad to see him go he is a really nice pickup for you guys. He has good speed, and when he uses it with his size he can be pretty dominate around the net. He also has a great snap shot too...

Peace.

First off, thank you for giving us your imput. Nice to see some other fans on here! Reading what thought about Gomez makes me nervous. I am assuming you have watched alot more games of him than I have so I'll take your word on the judgement. I just hope that he will bring more to the table than just "SPEED".

As for Higgins, he can be great when he is on but he is very streaky. One of those guys that shows up for a couple games every few weeks.

He is fast.

THATS IT!

Congrats for Cammaleri though and Paul Mara is a real warrior. We Rangers fans are sad to see him go he is a really nice pickup for you guys.

Peace.

Thanks for your opinion about Gomez, Higgins is very streaky and gets injured often. He is a good skater and has good two way ability but will never hit a guy, shows leadership.

Nah i watched about 75 games last season and 50 the season before. I know my stuff, and Gomez couldnt work with no winger at all he had like 8 wingers playing with him and no one clicked with him. He couldnt even set up Jagr, so DUBINSKY a first year rookie had to center Jagr in the first line.

Im just warning you guys to not to get exited about Gomez,Gohomez,Homez,Nomez.

And how was your reaction when he got traded to you guys? I can tell you we Rangers fan where utmost thrilled and happy to have him and his huge contract gone.

Paul Mara on the other side, a nice pick up. A real leader with some good experience and can play good hockey too.

Hmm so Higgins is an on and off player huh? Well he has to be better then the enigma ghost Zherdev...

Nah i watched about 75 games last season and 50 the season before. I know my stuff, and Gomez couldnt work with no winger at all he had like 8 wingers playing with him and no one clicked with him. He couldnt even set up Jagr, so DUBINSKY a first year rookie had to center Jagr in the first line.

And how was your reaction when he got traded to you guys? I can tell you we Rangers fan where utmost thrilled and happy to have him and his huge contract gone.

Paul Mara on the other side, a nice pick up. A real leader with some good experience and can play good hockey too.

Hmm so Higgins is an on and off player huh? Well he has to be better then the enigma ghost Zherdev...

When Gomez first got traded here everyone was like NOOOOOO we lost alot to gain what $7+ million in cap space. But people are coming around now that he is here and he isn't going anywhere. Right now I am not setting my expectations too high for Gomez and I don't think anyone should, bad enough he has that huge contract but he has to play in the limelight of MONTREAL.

Mara sounds like he is gonna be a steal for us...Do you think he could play on the first pairing with Markov?

If Higgins stays healthy you may have a steal.

wow u guys are taking this great i thought you would be killing me and say that Gomez is awesome. I understand that reaction, same when we signed him and Drury to those awful contracts. We never thought we would get rid of him without taking a huge contract back.

Nice to see fans with their head screwed on.

I dont see Mara on the first pairing with Markov. Mara is an great pickup but he is not an top d man. Above average d man but its his personality that makes him so great.

If you guys didn't know, before every period started. Mara was the one standing in the players entrence and tapping every player and telling them to "lets go" before he went out to the ice. Just an overal leader and good team mate.

How many goals do you guys see Higgins scoring in an healthy season?

The key sentence being the Rangers had no one he could play with. I see Gomez getting 60+ assists playing with our new team. The other moves were made to compliment his game.

As far as Higgins goes, you will know in the first ten games what he is going to do. If he comes to play it will be apparent. Only he knows. But when he wants to, he is good at both ends of the ice.

So when does Messier take over for Sather?

Have to correct you sir, Gomez had like over 10 wingers along him and no one metched with him. He has an akward style thats hard to play with. Since no one could find chemestry with him.

Wish him the best though since he never acted like a punk.

Sather has had an great summer so i dont know, just getting rid of Gomez for higgins and a top prospect saved his *****. Then he made some other good pickups, gilroy,prospal for a bargain price, gaborik, katolik.

Btw how is Ryan McDonough ?

I'm not , thanks :(

Has the GM lost his mind

He refuses to sign current HABS to long term contracts yet trades for a guy with contract longer and bigger than 2 or 3 guys combined :rolleyes:

Cammalerri big reason why he signed here was Gomez, Gionta and Gomez also have good chemistry back in new jersey. Could be a good or bad season for Gomez.

We later found out that Gomez was bait for Cammalleri, and if he signed here because of Gomez when other teams offered him more money, that made me a bit curious. Maybe he just didn't play well in the Rangers' system? I certainly hope so.

yep I hope so too

He is fast.

THATS IT!

through the blue line fast and then take a Q TIP shot the the goalies chest. His shot is very very weak and trust me you guys will be eager to trade him away just like we were.

Thanks for your...insight.

Many of us do actually watch games from other teams, not just our own, so we were well aware of the issues Gomez suffered in NY but we also remember very well the Gomez who suited up for the Devils. Which will we get? I dont know. I do remember plenty of NYR fans coming over here and thumbing their noses at us & mockingly "thanking" us - when we acquired Kovalev but I think that one worked out ok for us...how's joseph balej working out for you?

Lets just say "we'll wait & see" on the Gomez issue. You've made your opinion abundently clear in this thread & thats fine - heck its welcome & thanks for sharing it - but do be aware that continuing to press the point will be considered Trolling - something we dont tolerate here.

Actually gettin rid of Gomez was our best move this summer, and we've made some nice moves.

Again, lets wait & see. I think id rather have 80 games & 60+ points from gomez than the 30 or so you're likely to get out of Gaborik for the same money. Moving gomez was probably smart - based on your cap situation & lack of depth...picking up gabs in his stead, was not.

Higgins is a quality player with great speed who will get into amazing scoring situations & then lose it. I like higgins & I was sad to see him go but not since Bulis was here have I been so frustrated by a player who SHOULD be able to capitalize on his other skills. Im sure he'll do great in NY - providing no one is expecting him to put up big numbers. He's an excellent 3rd liner & a decent-to-average second liner.

He is fast.

THATS IT!

Peace.

Just like Jagr made Gomez a better player, Cammaleri will do the same.

Gomez will hit the 70 point range this season, and that's a good thing.

He is fast.

THATS IT!

Peace.

The funny thing is that if Gomez was still on your team he would still be your #1 center.

He is fast.

Yes, very. One of the best skaters in the NHL.

He cant set up

Funny how you claim that a guy who has led the NHL in assists can't make plays. Could it be possible that his linemates just didn't fit with his playing style?

he tends to make unhuman atempts to pass through 4 sticks

I've seen him actually connect on many of those "inhuman" passes.

and his trade mark skating style is to skate in

through the blue line fast and then take a Q TIP shot the the goalies chest. His shot is very very weak

Yeah, his shot sucks. We know that. He's a pure playmker.

trust me you guys will be eager to trade him away just like we were.

Most players underachieve in NYC. That's why your team is doomed to never win another Stanley Cup. Your GM goes out and signs a bunch of star players, without actually considering player chemistry, which is a huge part of hockey. Gomez will likely have a bounce back season in Montreal.

Actually gettin rid of Gomez was our best move this summer, and we've made some nice moves.

Like what? Signing Gaborik to a $7.5 million contract when he has only played one full season since the lockout? You also lost substantial center depth. I'm not sure why Ranger fans are so happy about losing their #1 center.

New York has been one of the absolute worst offensive teams in hockey for the past few years and that has obviously had a negative impact on Scott's numbers. Is he overpaid? Yes. But he is a strong 2 way player who's obviously very capable of throwing up 70+ points and playing in all situations.

He fits the system, he will be playing with better offensive players and get to play on a PP anchored by Markov. The numbers will be fine, 70-75 points if healthy. He will play a ton of minutes in all situations.

With the quality of linemates he'll get, 75 points is the bare minimum Gomez needs to hit in order to justify his acquisition. I expect nothing less for a $7.3 million cap hit.

I fear you may be disappointed, Weep. :lol:

I, quite frankly, have no idea what to expect from Scott. 75 points seem like a lot for a player who has only managed that once in his career. I guess it's possible he could plateau near that point, though, given enough ice time and the right linemates. He is "entering his prime" after all. Or something...

Archived