The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

F1 Back In Montreal For 2010.

Source (TSN)

FRANKFURT -- Bernie Ecclestone says Formula One will return to Montreal next season.

The Canadian Grand Prix was taken off the F1 calendar this year after a contractual dispute.

But Ecclestone, the head of the F1 circuit, said in today's edition of Motorsport Aktuell magazine that "we'll be driving in Montreal again in 2010."

Ecclestone also ruled out a return to Indianapolis, which last hosted an F1 race in 2007.

Source (TSN)

FRANKFURT -- Bernie Ecclestone says Formula One will return to Montreal next season.

The Canadian Grand Prix was taken off the F1 calendar this year after a contractual dispute.

But Ecclestone, the head of the F1 circuit, said in today's edition of Motorsport Aktuell magazine that "we'll be driving in Montreal again in 2010."

Ecclestone also ruled out a return to Indianapolis, which last hosted an F1 race in 2007.

WOOHOO! thanks for that. i figured it was only a matter of time but glad to see this 'cash stand off' didn't last too long. <_<

WOOHOO! thanks for that. i figured it was only a matter of time but glad to see this 'cash stand off' didn't last too long. <_<

Bad news...

To follow up (Also from TSN):

Bernie Ecclestone might have told a German magazine that Formula One would be returning to Montreal in 2010, but the mayor of the city says there is no deal in place.

Ecclestone was quoted in the Tuesday edition of Motorsport Aktuell magazine as saying "we'll be driving in Montreal again in 2010."

But, according to RDS, mayor Gérald Tremblay released a statement saying the negotiations are still ongoing between the various levels of government and Formula One. The mayor also said the offer on the table is the same one from last autumn.

Ecclestone ruled out an F1 return to Indianapolis in the magazine article.

Good news, F1 needs to raise its profile in North America. Car manufactures like Honda and BMW can't justify the spending the kind of money it takes to run an F1 team. If they get exposure on this side of the pond, it might be easier to find the money to fund a team. F1 still needs too add a race in the US and hopefully it will be a road course.

Edit: spoke too soon. The mayor and the other levels of government need to work it out. The race brings millions of dollars to montreal and tons of worldwide TV exposure.

Bad news...

To follow up (Also from TSN):

Bernie Ecclestone might have told a German magazine that Formula One would be returning to Montreal in 2010, but the mayor of the city says there is no deal in place.

Ecclestone was quoted in the Tuesday edition of Motorsport Aktuell magazine as saying "we'll be driving in Montreal again in 2010."

But, according to RDS, mayor Gérald Tremblay released a statement saying the negotiations are still ongoing between the various levels of government and Formula One. The mayor also said the offer on the table is the same one from last autumn.

Ecclestone ruled out an F1 return to Indianapolis in the magazine article.

good grief. how disappointing. i'm not sure why the f1 organizers think playing hardball with everyone is a good idea. is ferrari still threatening to leave over a possible cap?

i also can't believe it's the same offer <_< . i guess it'll be up to mtl to decide whether or not the extra cash spent will be worth the money earned here...which it probably will.

Good news, F1 needs to raise its profile in North America. Car manufactures like Honda and BMW can't justify the spending the kind of money it takes to run an F1 team. If they get exposure on this side of the pond, it might be easier to find the money to fund a team. F1 still needs too add a race in the US and hopefully it will be a road course.

Edit: spoke too soon. The mayor and the other levels of government need to work it out. The race brings millions of dollars to montreal and tons of worldwide TV exposure.

i thought bmw already announced their withdrawal for next season?

Just read a report ... Nelson Piquet Junior fired by Renault which wasn't a surprise. But in the last paragraph..

"The Estado de S. Paulo newspaper in Brazil reported Monday that Nelson Piquet is negotiating to buy the BMW team in a partnership with Peter Sauber, a move which would secure a place for Piquet Jr. next year."

We were going through the same crap here in Melbourne. One minute the GP is threatened by a possible breakaway by FOTA, the next it's back on. Like with the GP in Melbourne, I'll believe the GP is back in Montreal when tickets finally go on sale.

Just read a report ... Nelson Piquet Junior fired by Renault which wasn't a surprise. But in the last paragraph..

"The Estado de S. Paulo newspaper in Brazil reported Monday that Nelson Piquet is negotiating to buy the BMW team in a partnership with Peter Sauber, a move which would secure a place for Piquet Jr. next year."

so many dealings in f1. tough to keep track. i guess we'll only really know who's racing and where by the beginning of next season...

We were going through the same crap here in Melbourne. One minute the GP is threatened by a possible breakaway by FOTA, the next it's back on. Like with the GP in Melbourne, I'll believe the GP is back in Montreal when tickets finally go on sale.

the gp is milking as much money out of everyone that they can. i hope mtl doesn't agree to a ridiculous deal. there must be some middle ground that can make all sides happy.

i'm not sure how i feel about the possible cap but the race would be less interesting for me without ferrari.

Source (TSN)

Wasn't the F1 event in Indy the site of what had to be the most embarrassing moments in motorsports history with the tire debacle?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Seems all things are a go for F1 in Montreal.

As for the teams, F1 has added Lotus for next season replacing BMW-Sauber. So there are 13 teams. There is also talk of adding a 14th team as the BMW assets were purchased by a swiss investment firm.

woohoooo! phew!

i'm disappointed that bmw is out but so it goes in f1 racing.

• 2 months later...

After learning that there'd be no race in Montreal in 2009, I had no doubt it would return the next year. So I kind of expected this :P

And yeah, MotoGP in Montreal would kick butt (hehe didn't know there was censorship here). It's a lot of fun to watch but you need to have a team or a rider to cheer for...

Archived