The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rangers Walk Away From Zherdev - Becomes Ufa

gracie12

As per TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286726

"The New York Rangers have decided to walk away from a salary arbitration ruling to Nikolai Zherdev, making the forward an unrestricted free agent."

So the question is: is he of any interest to the habs? Can we even afford him? He's got all-world talent with purportedly horrible work ethic. He is only 24 years old & has scored 99g 140a 239pts in 365 games. He has gamebreaking prescence and could potentially be a 90 or 100 point scorer...but he may never reach that potential & settled for 50-60 pt 'dissapointments'

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Perhaps the KHL? I'm not sure if he's doing to get that much money here in the NHL. $4 million is pushing it, although... He was a 4th overall draft choice. It's hard to say if he will ever find the scoring touch of a 4th overall pick. He would be an interesting risk for a team with cap room looking for a top-6 forward.

wow.

i wouldn't be surprised to see him get $4mil in the khl but if i was looking to gamble on a potential top 6 forward i'd put in an offer for him at his current salary for a few years.

so much potential and really, what have the rangers accomplished...if we can hope gomez breaks out here i imagine something similar could happen for zherdev given the right environment.

Perhaps the KHL? I'm not sure if he's doing to get that much money here in the NHL. $4 million is pushing it, although... He was a 4th overall draft choice. It's hard to say if he will ever find the scoring touch of a 4th overall pick. He would be an interesting risk for a team with cap room looking for a top-6 forward.

Alexander Daigle was a 1st round pick... Where did he end up?

Who care's where they went in the draft, it's all about how they perform once they get to the NHL.

I have a feeling he'll end up in the KHL. He has no heart and we already have enough trouble dealing with player's who only play for the money. Now we have player's who want the money but don't want to play for it... Please!

Alexander Daigle was a 1st round pick... Where did he end up?

Who care's where they went in the draft, it's all about how they perform once they get to the NHL.

I have a feeling he'll end up in the KHL. He has no heart and we already have enough trouble dealing with player's who only play for the money. Now we have player's who want the money but don't want to play for it... Please!

Its not like hes not producing though, I mean his numbers aren't amazing, but hes only going to be 25 and has been a decent producer the last few years.

Its not like hes not producing though, I mean his numbers aren't amazing, but hes only going to be 25 and has been a decent producer the last few years.

Well and thats the thing. We're not talking about Alexander Daigle and his 25 pt seasons. Zherdev has consistently scored 50-60 pts most years. He's frustrating because you know he should be capable of 80 or even 90, but that doesnt make his 50-60 less valuable.

If we had a space & a need, Id definitely at least take a look.

Well and thats the thing. We're not talking about Alexander Daigle and his 25 pt seasons. Zherdev has consistently scored 50-60 pts most years. He's frustrating because you know he should be capable of 80 or even 90, but that doesnt make his 50-60 less valuable.

If we had a space & a need, Id definitely at least take a look.

In the right situation I'd take him, but he's not really what we need right now. I also don't now how he'd fit with Martin. Anyways, if we somehow (ignoring cap) got another offensive forward I'd prefer it at center (while Gomez should be less injury prone than Koivu, only having two offensive centers with NHL experience, one of who is coming off a very poor season, scares me), or look into a #2 dman. If we didn't have Gionta, I'd consider him (similar points actually).

No thank you. The last thing we need is an unaccomplished version of Alex Kovalev. If we were going to stick a moody Russian with loads of skill but inconsistent effort and results on the second line, why wouldn't we have stuck with one that was a known commodity and at least feared/respected league wide? Zherdev is Kovalev 10 years ago, which some would argue is exactly why you'd get him but think about Kovalev's career without your ridiculous rally in front of the Bell Center caps on: The Montreal Canadiens got the MOST consistent effort out of him and his absolutely most mature and team friendly attitude.

If Bob Gainey doesn't give Zherdev a 12 year contract for $40 then it proves to me he doesn't care if Montreal ever wins another stanley cup again and you can kiss your glorious habs goodbye. Zherdev is a light version of Ovechkin. He'd probably be the most talented player in the habs roster. And don't talk to me about his work ethic being poor, that's a bunch of racist *****. He has just as much work ethic as the next guy - maybe more - as long as he isn't playing with a bunch of racist dummies. Pair him up with Cammalleri and this guy should explode with points coming out of our ears.

And don't talk to me about his work ethic being poor, that's a bunch of racist *****.

Sorry, can you explain this? How does saying a player who has been called out by past coaches, GMs and even players in Minnesota as being "lackluster" in his efforts have anything to do with racism? Most people that have watched him play would say he's among the most talented players in the NHL - and yet he puts up 50-60 pt seasons. If that doesnt indicate issues with effort then surely the NYR, after trading good quality players to get him, walking away from his contract & allowing him to go UFA must.

I see no racial slurs anywhere in this thread...until YOU brought it up.

Good thing we tied up $5 million in Gionta on day one of free agency ... oh wait, now we can't even entertain the possibility of signing Zherdev. My mistake.

I'm glad Gainey doesn't have the chance of even thinking about signing Zherdev. The Habs don't need someone that has no motivation to win.

Good thing we tied up $5 million in Gionta on day one of free agency ... oh wait, now we can't even entertain the possibility of signing Zherdev. My mistake.

Actually Id take Gionta over Zherdev any day. I do think that Zherdev has more potential & if you could somehow get his head in the game he could be amazing, but Id take the sure thing (Gionta) first - and then the potentially inconsistent gamebreaker second.

I still dont like the terms (length) of gionta's contract, but I dont dislike him on my team.

We still can afford to sign Zherdev($3.9M), just let go of Laraque$1.5M,O'Byrne$0.94M,Chipchura$0.5M,and Metropolit$1M=$3.94M .... I'm really getting tired of the lame managerial decisions of the Habs and missed opportunities.

We still can afford to sign Zherdev($3.9M), just let go of Laraque$1.5M,O'Byrne$0.94M,Chipchura$0.5M,and Metropolit$1M=$3.94M .... I'm really getting tired of the lame managerial decisions of the Habs and missed opportunities.

If only we didn't sign Hal Gill so damn quickly..... :unsure:

Actually Id take Gionta over Zherdev any day. I do think that Zherdev has more potential & if you could somehow get his head in the game he could be amazing, but Id take the sure thing (Gionta) first - and then the potentially inconsistent gamebreaker second.

I still dont like the terms (length) of gionta's contract, but I dont dislike him on my team.

+1

i like zherdev and i'd like to see him thrive somewhere but i'm happy to have gionta rather than bank on a player's potential. my bet is that gainey wouldn't be interested even if we had the money.

that said, we're paying gionta $5mil and we scoff at zherdev (who's younger, bigger and has similar nos) for asking for $4mil. interesting.

i'll be curious to see how much he signs for in the end.

that said, we're paying gionta $5mil and we scoff at zherdev (who's younger, bigger and has similar nos) for asking for $4mil. interesting.

Similar offensive numbers - they're not even playing the same sport when it comes to defensive responsibilities - and that is a big part of why a 60 pt guy like Gionta can command the sort of money he did.

Archived