The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Theoren Fleury Attempting Comeback

He's 41 AND he hasn't played professional hockey since 2002-2003

All the best in his comeback attempt but no way he will be able to keep up to the players in today's NHL and make a contribution to a team ....it just isn't going to happen no matter how hard he trains

As your most likely correct,I guess what he is setting out to do,wether it works out or not...is to at least give it another shot,and to see if indeed he can contribute something to a team.

He knows & feels that he did not leave on his terms,this is in a way how he trying to deal with making things right for himself,I guess,IMO....Who knows.....but he's got a lot of guts for trying knowing that his chances are slim next to nothing. ;)

Theo Fleury is not that bad of a player, but at 41, not many teams would want him.

The leafs might want him.

Something funny:

Someone(Leafs fan) told me that the Leafs will beat the Canadiens next season and I said "There is no place in the standings higher than 1st place, so there is no possible way that the Leafs could beat Montreal" lol

I think that Montreal will probably come in 2nd or 3rd this season.

So what if he's 41???? It's not the 1980's anymore, when 30 was considered old. Expect some of the best players today to play well into their 40's. I am not going be surprised to see Crosby and Ovechkin playing till they're 50.

As for Fleury, I think Calgary will sign him to a tryout or a minor league contract. He'll play a couple games in Calgary, fans feel nostalgic and then he'll ride into the sunset. If he can do that, then that will be a testament to a guy who had to fight so many demons that would kill a lesser man.

I won't be surprised if Malkin plays until he is 50 also.

If Fleury is lucky, he might get a 2 or 3 year contract worth maybe 6 mil or 7 mil.

Maybe Gainey should try to get him, he could do good on our second line.

i highly doubt he will get that...like thats insane to pay that much for someone who has been out of the game for as long as he has. if anyone does sign him it wont be for more then 1year two way deal worth 1million. bonuses if hes lucky

I think it's doubtful he'll get a shot.

But you never know. He's a guy who faced criticism and lot's of adversity before. He's always been considered to small.... but he didn't let that stop him.

If he's in good shape, you never know... the guy's got a heart for the game. Someone might give him a 2 way deal... try him out.... after a camp invite I would think.

If he can make it back, even to a 2 way type of deal.... I think it's great. Good for him.

No one's gonna give him a shot if he can't play up to par. But the guy will be willing to work for it...... just like Lemieux.

If Fleury is lucky, he might get a 2 or 3 year contract worth maybe 6 mil or 7 mil.

Maybe Gainey should try to get him, he could do good on our second line.

what!! you only offer a 1 year 1 mill contract to a veteran who hasnt played in a long time not 2 years 6 mill thats insane

• 3 weeks later...

Theoren Fleury is about to find out if the NHL is willing to give him another chance.Sources tell TSN that National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly will meet with Fleury on Thursday in Phoenix to discuss his request for reinstatement as an NHL player.

Fleury recently met with the NHL and NHLPA's substance abuse programs doctors, who then forwarded their recommendations to the league.

The 41-year-old says he has been sober for four years and has been training for months in his quest to return to the NHL.

Fleury's reinstatement depends on the outcome of this meeting and a decision is expected either Thursday evening or Friday.

He was suspended indefinitely in 2003 while with the Chicago Blackhawks.

NEW YORK/TORONTO (September 10, 2009) -- The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players’ Association announced tonight that forward Theoren Fleury has been cleared to return to on-ice competition.

Fleury, who in June, 2006 was placed in Stage 4 of the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program of the NHLPA and the NHL, will continue to participate in the after-care phase of the Program.

The program's doctors, Dr. Dave Lewis on behalf of the NHL and Dr. Brian Shaw on behalf of the NHLPA, continue to administer Fleury's care.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=498341

Flames offer Fleury a two week tryout.

"Once we determined that Theoren was training to our standards and the League permitted his return to on-ice competition, it wasn't a hard decision for us to provide him with this opportunity," said Sutter. "In the history of our franchise, he is among the top players all-time and regardless of what happens; he can finish as an active player. This is a day-to-day thing and we will develop our expectations over the course of training camp."

"I am both thankful and very excited to be given this opportunity by Darryl and the Flames organization," said Fleury. "I intend to come to camp today with a strong work ethic, a positive attitude and to be treated like any other member of the group."

I'm very happy for Theo.

Glad to see he's cleaned up his life and that he's at least given the chance to make a come back.

The odds are stacked against him, but he's faced that his entire career.

Honestly, I hope he somehow cracks the lineup.

:)

True...with all the on/off ice league ***** issuses going on all summer,nice to hear a feel good story in the making,here's wishing Theo all the best & good luck.

A fan favourite in Calgary for 11 seasons, Fleury is set to play a preseason game for the Flames against the New York Islanders, and it will be his first NHL game in six seasons.

"It will be a special evening," said Fleury following Wednesday's on-ice session. "I don't know at this point how I'm going to react to the situation, how I'm going to react to the crowd, but it's going to be emotional."

A fan favourite in Calgary for 11 seasons, Fleury is set to play a preseason game for the Flames against the New York Islanders, and it will be his first NHL game in six seasons.

"It will be a special evening," said Fleury following Wednesday's on-ice session. "I don't know at this point how I'm going to react to the situation, how I'm going to react to the crowd, but it's going to be emotional."

Let's go, Theo! :D

To me, this just seems more and more like a joke. Seriously... Whoop-dee-doo! The guy scored a shootout winner in a game of pre-season hockey. Big standing applause... Talk about trying to relive your glory years. Theo Fleury, in my opinion, isn't going to make much of an impact at 41 years old. If he makes the Flames starting lineup it will be because of novelty's sake. <_<

Good for him.

God Phaneuf is a retard though, too bad the other guy that jumped on the ice didn't knock him the hell out.

Yeah, I know, right. It's frickin' pre-season. I can understand why some of the bruisers are having fights and stuff, but there's no need for Phaneuf to try to murder someone like that. Completely unnecessary.

Archived