The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jacques Demers To Become A Senator

Manatee-X

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/08/27/senate-harper.html

Jacques Demers is expected to become a senator... and no, that doesn't mean he's going to coach Ottawa ;)

From what I understand, they 'work' during parts of the hockey season. I wonder if that means he'll be off RDS? Personally, I hope he can do both. Although he can get a little emotionally involved sometimes I do find he's pretty good with giving an honest assessment of the team and players.

Either way, félicitations Jacques!

Just what exactly led to him becoming a Senator? why him does anyone know? and don't Senators actually have quite a bit of power in Government? just curious...

I'm not really sure what the qualification is beyond being liked by whoever the prime minister is at the time... besides Demers, recent inductees include journalists and an olympic skier.

As for how much power they have, it's kind of weird. From what I understand they've theoretically got lots of power, in that they can kill pretty much any bill, but it's kind of an unwritten rule that they never actually use if. They're not elected, so I'm guessing that if they started trying to prevent laws left right and centre they'd probably just get dissolved.

As it is it's kind of a waste of money having them at all in my opinion. Still though, if we're going to give someone 130K a year for a few weeks work I'm happy giving it to Demers :P

i think its fairly well known that 5% of persons in england can't read and that's with 400 years of an education system we in the states call public, so it isn't that great a shock to me to hear that someone doesn't know how to peruse the hockey news. what does shock me is that demers has made some statements regarding the habs over the last year that were so far off base and he still got his appointment.

Just what exactly led to him becoming a Senator? why him does anyone know? and don't Senators actually have quite a bit of power in Government? just curious...

power? not really, they cant stall a bill and thats about it...i dont think there are many prerequisits to be a senator...i think its the age of 30 and the pm knows you somehow because once youre a senator your a senator for life unless you do something so publicly stupid that the media is all over you...since the pm appoints senators you have a senate full of liberal and conservative votes...probably the best job any canadian can have...sit there saying yay or nay until you croak...and you dont even have to go all the time lol...many people have issues with our senate because its appointed and not voted...i think they need to change the system...but thats only because im not 30 nor do i know the pm...

i think its fairly well known that 5% of persons in england can't read and that's with 400 years of an education system we in the states call public, so it isn't that great a shock to me to hear that someone doesn't know how to peruse the hockey news. what does shock me is that demers has made some statements regarding the habs over the last year that were so far off base and he still got his appointment.

Last thing I heard, Demers had been making big strides towards addressing his reading problem and can indeed read hockey stories now.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/world/ap/55444077.html

I tip my hat to the guy, and wish him well as a senator. His willingness to take on his reading problems head-on is inspiring, and should be a lesson to all of us. St. Louis, Detroit and Montreal have been graced by his excellence as a coach, now Canada and the world will be graced by his political leadership. It would not surprise me to see him come to the forefront of politics.

Congratulations to you, Jacques, and Godspeed.

Meh, I really don't care, the senate is a joke. Demers was just appointed so it grabs the headlines instead of the fact that Harper appointed some of his closest friends (plus Harper wanted someone from Quebec).

I'm not really sure what the qualification is beyond being liked by whoever the prime minister is at the time... besides Demers, recent inductees include journalists and an olympic skier.

Those were all appointments to distract the public, he vast majority have been Harper's close friends. But people tend to get mad at politicians for this (plus Harper's history of arguing against it) so you appoint a couple public figures to grab the headlines.

As for how much power they have, it's kind of weird. From what I understand they've theoretically got lots of power, in that they can kill pretty much any bill, but it's kind of an unwritten rule that they never actually use if. They're not elected, so I'm guessing that if they started trying to prevent laws left right and centre they'd probably just get dissolved.

You sort of have it, but not quite. To start, it can't just be dissolved since it's part of the Canadian constitution. I'm pretty sure it requires almost all the provinces to agree to it and some of the smaller provinces like the senate.

They actually do use the power to crush bills occasionally (and can create their own). However, the government has one major tool it can use: making votes "confidence votes". This means that voting it down says "non-confidence" in the government and an election is triggered. The senators don't want the public backlash of voting down a bill parliament already approved causing an election. This was discussed during the last budget when there was a slight possibility the senate would vote down the budget and an election would be triggered.

*I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think this is how it works.

Last thing I heard, Demers had been making big strides towards addressing his reading problem and can indeed read hockey stories now.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/world/ap/55444077.html

I'm not trying to make light of his struggles with the ability to read, but as a coach in Montreal it was probably something that served him well - he never had to worry about what the newspapers were writing about him in either language!

ETA: I have no problem with his appointment to Senate, and I'm happy for him - he's a good man IMO, and brings some much needed honesty to Canadian politics.

I'm not trying to make light of his struggles with the ability to read, but as a coach in Montreal it was probably something that served him well - he never had to worry about what the newspapers were writing about him in either language!

ETA: I have no problem with his appointment to Senate, and I'm happy for him - he's a good man IMO, and brings some much needed honesty to Canadian politics.

I had a feeling you weren't trying to do that, but for those who aren't fully updated on his reading situation, I felt it was best to show everyone documentary evidence of this.

And with how harsh the Montreal media can get sometimes, you're probably right - it may have been a good thing. But I'd rather have him able to read, and be a much happier man, than what he may have been before.

I had a feeling you weren't trying to do that, but for those who aren't fully updated on his reading situation, I felt it was best to show everyone documentary evidence of this.

And with how harsh the Montreal media can get sometimes, you're probably right - it may have been a good thing. But I'd rather have him able to read, and be a much happier man, than what he may have been before.

Wow I had no Idea about his reading issues

Archived