The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalev- Just Business

codo27

The current headline on the TSN.ca video player, a 10 minute interview with Kovalev about his departure and arrival (stress the RIVAL) in ottawa.

Talking again about wanting to stay and it being a totally different feeling than leaving pittsburgh or new york, and the surprise of not returning.

I could almost cry, I dont care if Camalleri, Gomez and Gionta score 300 goals between them, I dont know how I'm gonna get over this.

anyways just a heads up for you to go check it out

so hold on...they didnt talk money, just years...habs were willing to give him 3 and he sat on it and so he ended up signing in ottawa for 2 because no other team was giving him more than two...hmm kovalev...you have no one but yourself and your agent to blame for that lol...i doubt bob was going to sit around for long and wait for kovalev to field offers from other teams and gamble losing both kovalev and another ufa that was willing to sign...

Well, he had one good season with the habbies.

Otherwise it was just a very... dismal effort from kovy at times.. and if thats the kind of effort he puts in for a team he WANTS to be with, I will hate to see the effort he puts in on a nightly basis with a team he doesnt seem to really want to be with.

Not only will he dog it every night (with the exception of the 6 against MTL)...but how much does it suck to be a Sens fan!

My brother is a Sens fan, has season tickets, and he is royally p***ed at the team right now, one demands a trade, another admits Ott is his last choice, and half the team has an attitude towards the fans and city that sounds alot like meh!

Geez, say what you want about Bob's moves this summer, but at least the group we have SAY they want to be here.

Funny, we always rip players for mouthing platitudes and saying what the press wants to hear, but when one of them speaks honestly from his heart, we rip him for that too. :rolleyes:

Kovalev spent over four years in Montreal. He was loved here, his family was happy, and the enthusiasm he had for playing at the Bell Centre was not feigned. He really loved it. And I honestly believe that but for his agent's screwups and Gainey's stupid plan of waiting until two days before free agency to give players like Kovy contract offers, Kovalev might still be a Hab today. He's only being honest at expressing his regret over how things ended in Montreal.

Listen, these people are pros. You think he's going to dog it for two years in Ottawa just because he's open to the possibility of ending his career in Montreal? Please. The man has a fierce pride in his own game, and he's not stupid. He'll bring good things to the Senators as long as expectations don't get too loopy. At age 37, he's on the downside of his career, but can still get you around 65 points, break games open on occasion, and be a deadly asset on the power play if you don't expect him to be your no. 1 scorer. And on a team with all-world talents like Jason Spezza, Daniel Alfredsson, and (though he's a douche) Dany Heatley, Kovalev won't have to be that go-to guy. It's actually a great environment for him.

what about a trade deadline aquisition? I could honestly see that, look at keith tkathuk! happens every year. I can honestly see us trading to get him, maybe trading Obyrne? at the deadline

I think i would be cool with that. When he tries he can change the game and maybe after leaving the team he wants to be in he will take that as a sing that he has to pick up his game a bit.

The only thing wrong with that is.. if we give up O'byrne do we have any Defensive D-men prospects that could be ready for the jump soon?

And I honestly believe that but for his agent's screwups and Gainey's stupid plan of waiting until two days before free agency to give players like Kovy contract offers, Kovalev might still be a Hab today.

I will also add that the ownership issue didnt help. Gainey always waits until the offseason to talk deals, yes, but I think this year he waited much longer than usual even because of the state of flux the team was in. Im not making excuses for him, just saying that if we hadnt gone through that change, Gainey might have fielded the offer a week earlier & who knows how it would have turned out.

what about a trade deadline aquisition? I could honestly see that, look at keith tkathuk! happens every year. I can honestly see us trading to get him, maybe trading Obyrne? at the deadline

Not this year. No way we have enough money for his contract next season - dont forget Price is going to be looking for a new deal next summer too.

Maybe next year, when he's got one year left, but for now, not going to happen.

Funny, we always rip players for mouthing platitudes and saying what the press wants to hear, but when one of them speaks honestly from his heart, we rip him for that too. :rolleyes:

I don't like Kovy and I am happy he left and he had the chance to stay but he messed it up. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

BUT, I agree with you. this Man says what he thinks and he should not be crushed for it. He has always been like that and people should accept that. I appreciated that side of him.

If he wanted to stay in Montreal so bad then it would have been a no-brainer to accept the contract offered to him.

In his defense, in the interview he said that it was about the years more than the money. He was holding out and trying to get a four year deal (which as much as I like kovy, I'm glad they didn't give him).

So I guess you might even be able to say he refused the contract because he wanted to stay in Montreal so bad ;)

In his defense, in the interview he said that it was about the years more than the money. He was holding out and trying to get a four year deal (which as much as I like kovy, I'm glad they didn't give him).

So I guess you might even be able to say he refused the contract because he wanted to stay in Montreal so bad ;)

He wanted a four year deal at his age? :lol:

Not a smart thing for Kovy to say considering he's now a Senator.

However, for all people say about players not wanting to play in Montreal, and for all people say about Kovalev having no heart, it's amazing how much he truly seemed to love playing in Montreal.

However, for all people say about players not wanting to play in Montreal, and for all people say about Kovalev having no heart, it's amazing how much he truly seemed to love playing in Montreal.

He loves to be loved and a lot of Mtl fans loved him.

no doubt...i think its because in a place like montreal there is so much love for the artistry that kovalev brings to the game there's so much appreciation for it, it's something he wont get in a place like new york, pittsburgh or ottawa (in my opinion)...

Archived