The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bob Gainey 2009-10

AK-1

Bob Gainey

1953_2.jpg

Position: Executive Vice President and General Manager

Born in Peterborough, Ontario on December 13, 1953, Bob Gainey became the 15th General Manager in the history of the Montreal Canadiens on June 2, 2003. On January 14, 2006, he took over as interim head coach of the Canadiens before handing over the coaching duties to Guy Carbonneau on May 5, 2006. On February 23, the Canadiens officially retired his No. 23 jersey at a ceremony which took place at the Bell Centre.

Described by Russian hockey pioneer Viktor Tikhonor as the world’s most complete hockey player, from 1973 to 1989 Gainey played his entire NHL career with the Canadiens, and was the team captain for his last eight seasons. His resumé includes five Stanley Cup championships (1975 to 1979 and 1985-86) and seven Prince of Wales Conference championships. A four-time All Star team selection, Gainey also won the Frank Selke Trophy four consecutive seasons, from 1978 to 1981, more than any other NHL player. He was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as the Playoffs Most Valuable Player in 1979.

Following his playing career, Gainey began coaching the Épinal hockey team in France, before joining the Minnesota North Stars as Head Coach in 1990. That same year, he led the North Stars to the Stanley Cup finals. He was the Stars’ Head Coach and General Manager from 1992 to 1996.

During that period, he managed the team’s transfer from Minnesota to Dallas. From 1996 to 2002, as the Stars General Manager, Gainey led his team to one Stanley Cup Championship (1999), five consecutive Division Championships (from 1996 to 2001), and two Presidents’ Trophies awarded to the team with the NHL’s best regular season record (1998 and 1999).

Last season, under Gainey’s direction, the Canadiens finished atop the Eastern Conference standings.

At the international level, Gainey was Assistant General Manager of the 1996 Canadian Team at the World Cup of Hockey, and was one of three general managers of the Canadian Olympic team at the Nagano games in 1998. He was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1992. Bob Gainey is a member of the NHL Competitive Rules Committee since 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you've got to hand it to Mr. Gainey this time. Many of us have been wanting him to get a marquee player here in Montreal, and he went and got three! And bolstered our defense. And got a great coach who knows how to work his players. Not to mention cutting the "dead weight" (though I believe any player can be motivated to work hard).

Bob may have just saved his job in fine fashion.

Well, you've got to hand it to Mr. Gainey this time. Many of us have been wanting him to get a marquee player here in Montreal, and he went and got three! And bolstered our defense. And got a great coach who knows how to work his players. Not to mention cutting the "dead weight" (though I believe any player can be motivated to work hard).

Bob may have just saved his job in fine fashion.

Yeah he made did quite the blitz there over the offseason to overhaul this team. It was definate proof that he was far from happy with the way the team was playing/reacting to hard times during the coarse of last season. I for one am glad for the changes overall.

Yeah he made did quite the blitz there over the offseason to overhaul this team. It was definate proof that he was far from happy with the way the team was playing/reacting to hard times during the coarse of last season. I for one am glad for the changes overall.

Other than sending captain #11 on his merry o'l way.....I have no complaints either.

I think we are all in agreement in the coaching change,for sure.

how about let the better goalie win his spot as number 1?

So we do what? Tell Price that he doesn't deserve the #1 spot, that we're going to go game for game and then decide which goaltender deserves the #1 spot.

-OR-

maybe we say to Price you sucked last year in the playoffs when the rest of our team was injured or off in lala land so Halak is going to be our new #1 until you can prove that you deserve it

-OR-

maybe we can have three goalies on the roster and have them all take turns, whoever has the best GAA and S% is our new goalie!!! That one is for all the stats crazy guys out there!

:P

I disagree with every option entirely. Price has earned his #1 spot already; in my mind, it is his to lose if he plays terrible and makes bad plays

Bob Gainey made a decision when he traded Huet, I may not be a huge proponent of rushing goalies like he did but, it happened and now we must live with the consequences! In this case, I truly believe that the consequences might be another streaky year in net for Price followed by years and years of goaltending magic. Sometimes, in rare cases a player learns the ropes better when playing at a high level, even if he is not super successful early on!

I commend Gainey for all that he has done for the Montreal Canadiens in the offseason. He has me excited for the hockey season to start, let's be honest; there would have been a lot of people complaining about Gainey had he re-signed Kovalev (5), Koivu (3.25), Tanguay(2.5), Lang(est. 2.5) and Komisarek(4.5)! That's almost $18million for the same team, same team and worse results I'd say! Everyone has been critical of Gainey for not taking risks and now he does and we want him hanged! I am PUMPED for 01/10/09!

GO HABS GO!

So we do what? Tell Price that he doesn't deserve the #1 spot, that we're going to go game for game and then decide which goaltender deserves the #1 spot.

-OR-

maybe we say to Price you sucked last year in the playoffs when the rest of our team was injured or off in lala land so Halak is going to be our new #1 until you can prove that you deserve it

-OR-

maybe we can have three goalies on the roster and have them all take turns, whoever has the best GAA and S% is our new goalie!!! That one is for all the stats crazy guys out there!

I disagree with every option entirely. Price has earned his #1 spot already; in my mind, it is his to lose if he plays terrible and makes bad plays

Bob Gainey made a decision when he traded Huet, I may not be a huge proponent of rushing goalies like he did but, it happened and now we must live with the consequences! In this case, I truly believe that the consequences might be another streaky year in net for Price followed by years and years of goaltending magic. Sometimes, in rare cases a player learns the ropes better when playing at a high level, even if he is not super successful early on!

I commend Gainey for all that he has done for the Montreal Canadiens in the offseason. He has me excited for the hockey season to start, let's be honest; there would have been a lot of people complaining about Gainey had he re-signed Kovalev (5), Koivu (3.25), Tanguay(2.5), Lang(est. 2.5) and Komisarek(4.5)! That's almost $18million for the same team, same team and worse results I'd say! Everyone has been critical of Gainey for not taking risks and now he does and we want him hanged! I am PUMPED for 01/10/09!

GO HABS GO!

knowone will be hanged in september, the results of the house cleaning will be judged in playoff hockey

BG is on very thin ice IMO. We needed to clean house,but is Gionta,Camm,and Gomez a big upgrade over Kovy,Saku and Tang. I hope I'm wrong,but I don't think so,especially since they'll be tying up %33 of our cap for the next 5 years. Our biggest need was a power forward that could score and a physical shut down d-man. We got neither. Let's see what happens

BG is on very thin ice IMO. We needed to clean house,but is Gionta,Camm,and Gomez a big upgrade over Kovy,Saku and Tang. I hope I'm wrong,but I don't think so,especially since they'll be tying up %33 of our cap for the next 5 years. Our biggest need was a power forward that could score and a physical shut down d-man. We got neither. Let's see what happens

Yeah we will see because I think our defense is a lot bigger and tougher then in a lot of years.This will allow our skilled guys to focus on their game more.The thing that puts us over the top for toughness right now is the sudden emergence of Ryan O byrne.Now we have Laraque,Moen,Mara,Gill,Obryne who can all drop the gloves at any given time.Oh yeah Stewart as well.This is a tougher team then a lot of people think.then I noticed even Spacek can mix it up hit hard and dish out a lot of punishment.Defense is way tougher IMO.All these guys are going to throw off other teams and frustrate them and allow us to focus on our game plan.Gainey might be a hockey genius,we shall see.

-OR-

-OR-

GO HABS GO!

You've got a tough chore ahead of you if you feel that spending that "almost $18 Million"on 3 players that you're committed to for 5 years each is a better bang for the buck!?Now add in the rest of the big bucks he is spending on just 2 more of the "new"team and there is not a heck of a lot of breathing room for the poor slob who will have to try to live with Bob's errors for several years before he can do anything on his own!Maybe things will work out okay after all,but even though I'm not fom Missouri,I'll have to see it to believe it! <_<

Pacioretty could soon be that power forward and O'Byrne is really looking good out there.

Archived