The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bob Gainey 2009-10

AK-1

The way I look at it, Andrei is the softer of the two on the ice when the going gets tough (both perimiter players for the most part) but the one who most expect to be the better player overall.

Can't say I agree with your assessment of Andrei as a perimeter player. There was nothing perimeter about his 07-08 forechecking, board work, and many of the goals he scored at the net while being cross-checked to the ice.

Anyhow, considering how Sergei has turned out, what makes you think teams would line up to take the brothers as a package? It's not like they're the Sedins who are joined at the hip, play together, and enhance each other's productivity? Andrei and Sergei both had their breakout seasons playing on different lines.

Coming back to Gainey, this is going to be an interesting year, because if we miss the playoffs or finish at 8th and get bounced in the first round yet again, you have to think his job is in jeopardy. The following summer, thanks to his cap spending, we won't really have any space to improve the team, and Pleks will be UFA and likely gone.

Can't say I agree with your assessment of Andrei as a perimeter player. There was nothing perimeter about his 07-08 forechecking, board work, and many of the goals he scored at the net while being cross-checked to the ice.

Anyhow, considering how Sergei has turned out, what makes you think teams would line up to take the brothers as a package? It's not like they're the Sedins who are joined at the hip, play together, and enhance each other's productivity? Andrei and Sergei both had their breakout seasons playing on different lines.

Coming back to Gainey, this is going to be an interesting year, because if we miss the playoffs or finish at 8th and get bounced in the first round yet again, you have to think his job is in jeopardy. The following summer, thanks to his cap spending, we won't really have any space to improve the team, and Pleks will be UFA and likely gone.

Our assessments differ :( from what I've observed (like I said, when the going gets tough)

Two different players... one or two different lines... it dosn't matter. Some teams could need two bodies and could want what they have to offer either way. They are, IMO, the best potential bargaining chips the Habs have when combined in a trade... yet not what Habs need at this point.

Nothing is written in stone regarding what Gainey has done... I believe, with creativity, alot of what has been done can be undone if need be.

Bob is on thin ice now imo, this overhaul was his final swing for the fences

So good that he was on the ice for all of montreals goals. ;)

7 shots on goal,numerous big hits,28 min. playing time.2 goals his team was shorthanded.watch the game ,hog The guy is a great all around d-man.None of ourm goals were his fault.So you think Spacek and Gill are better than him?

7 shots on goal,numerous big hits,28 min. playing time.2 goals his team was shorthanded.watch the game ,hog The guy is a great all around d-man.None of ourm goals were his fault.So you think Spacek and Gill are better than him?

This is the Bob Gainey thread but if you really watched that game and thought beauchmin played great then you must have been half asleep. :lol: Oh and his big hits put him out of posistion twice.

I wish we had signed Beauchemin instead of Gill and Spacek. I didn't realize what a good all around player he is.

I dont understand why people think this way, he was a liability in Anaheim and it made me so happy that he went to the Leafs! He was a -3 I think versus our Habs!

I don't think he will get fired if the season goes down the tubes due to the Markov injury. If the team does fold without Markov then the fault lies with Gainey. He built the team, if they're so reliant on just 1 player no matter how great he is then the team wasn't going anywhere to begin with. A winning team faces adversity throughout the season but overcomes its obstacles.

If we are only a 1 player team then we don't have much of a team to begin with. Markov is a good player, yes but good teams overcome key injuries and find ways to win. Players pick up their games, I know it sounds cliche, but the truth of the matter is it is what it is, nothing we can do about it. No need to feel down or sorry for ourselves, we have plenty of idiots from surrounding sports medias and the like who are just licking their chops to see us fail.

They hope we fail, any success breaths fear into them. I say the team will do just fine and we will be that much better when Markov comes back.

I dont understand why people think this way, he was a liability in Anaheim and it made me so happy that he went to the Leafs! He was a -3 I think versus our Habs!

Yep and he was minus 2 again tonight against the caps. Gainey might have seen something that burke did not.

Good value pick up in Bergeron today. He's no Markov but a fresh start back home may really inspire him to some really good stuff. Hopefully he can help the PP until Marky gets back.

Kind of a PC move by Bob too, getting a native son.

Pick up a player because of his nationality.That makes sense. :blink: Time to bring in a real GM before this turns to the Houle days. 5 yr plan: We lose 10 players in year five,have 1/3 of our cap tied up in 3 players for the next 5 years,and don't have much if anything down in the farm.Great job!

Does anyone know if Mr.Gainey travels with the team ? I met him when I was a kid 16 years ago and he was coaching my North Stars.He was amazing. Went above and beyond for this hockey fan right here. Since the Habs are in edmonton this weekend, Im wanting to try to meet up with him and get a jersey autographed. And also thank him for what he did and let him know how much that meant to me and my family. Anyone have any info that would help ? Thank you. Any info will help.

I wish we had signed Beauchemin instead of Gill and Spacek. I didn't realize what a good all around player he is.

Based on a whopping 3 game evaluation, I think I would still take Gill and Spacek. Francois is struggling pretty badly over there right now.

As for Bob, I think he did a reasonable job of revamping the team. Let's face it, the guys we let go didn't exactly light up the free agent market.

Based on a whopping 3 game evaluation, I think I would still take Gill and Spacek. Francois is struggling pretty badly over there right now.

As for Bob, I think he did a reasonable job of revamping the team. Let's face it, the guys we let go didn't exactly light up the free agent market.

I actually like most of the revamping,but he got us the players we had to get rid of

Mr. Gainey... losing Markov and O'Byrne is not an excuse for the defensive corps you've put together even before their absence. Even Breezer, Bouillon and Dandenault would look better right now ;)

Signing a bunch of lower-tier d-men for depth ... it's Gainey's specialty. Bouillon, Dandenault, Brisebois, Niinimaa. Gill, Mara, Gorges, Weber, Hamrlik.

Meanwhile, we lose guys like Souray, Streit, and Komisarek in free agency, just so Bob can trade assets for a 40-year-old Schneider to fix a problem he himself created (the PP).

Archived