The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Positive Thread 2009-10

puckoff1

hi everybody! :D hope everyone had a great summer. i wanted my first post back to be in the positive thread and i can't find it, so i made a new one.

im feeling good about this year. i think we made a bunch of very solid pickups, and i think this is going to be a good year for the habs. so here is hoping this thread stays near the top, and its an injury and slump free successful season.

1st positive: last year is last year. im looking for and expecting bounce back years for 4 certain players: pleks, price, and the kost bros. all 4 are great players, and hopefully with a summer to clear some heads and put some distance from a forgettable year, these guys come through and play the way we know they can.

2nd: hockey is almost back. i cant wait for the year to start!

hi everybody! :D hope everyone had a great summer. i wanted my first post back to be in the positive thread and i can't find it, so i made a new one.

im feeling good about this year. i think we made a bunch of very solid pickups, and i think this is going to be a good year for the habs. so here is hoping this thread stays near the top, and its an injury and slump free successful season.

1st positive: last year is last year. im looking for and expecting bounce back years for 4 certain players: pleks, price, and the kost bros. all 4 are great players, and hopefully with a summer to clear some heads and put some distance from a forgettable year, these guys come through and play the way we know they can.

2nd: hockey is almost back. i cant wait for the year to start!

Good thinking Jeff. I can't wait for the season to start. Watching the Habs is the biggest positive of all.

Watching George Gillett cry moved me today on tv i gotta admit, in a positive way though.

Especially the way he said he was sorry that the team didn't win the cup and felt like apologizing to us the fans.

He was a great owner, especially when you go back 8 years and everyone was like.... an american ? really ?

I wish him well for his future plans.

And very glad to see Geoff Molson so motivated and ready for everything, we have a very bright future ahead of us.

the habs are younger faster and more skilled this year, we have a new coach, one with some experience under his belt finally, and a bigger stronger smarter defense(we must forget komi, Mara will replace him), a lil worried about no right handed shots but oh well.

Our PP should be better this year, look how well it did at the end of last year when you add another point man(schnedier) and take the pressure off of Markov to be the shooter/set up man

Imagine your two pp units looking like

Cammalerri-Gomez Gionta

Markov Spacek

A.Kost- Plek S.Kost

Hammer Mara

Looks good here, Im sure Gomez will do well this year and silence the contract critics, playing along side Gionta and cammalerri should help him alot, i mean who did he have in NY for wingmen, Callahan and the aging Naslund.

Anyways, Im pretty pumped about this season, whole new look and attitude for the first time in a long time, 19 more days then its Leafs vs Habs on opening night

Go Habs Go

Exactly one week away from a game on TV... YAY!

Thanks for reopening this for the new season jeff, one of my favorite threads on here :D

no problem, one of my favourites too.

here is my top positive right now, which has really sunk in after reading a couple of things on the boards today:

we have a real coach.

last year, to me, can be almost entirely blamed on poor coaching (and bad luck.) im pretty sure i was calling for a new coach from about 15-20 games in. to me, carbo ruined the culture of the team with his ineptness. last year was truly a gong show of poor decisions until the dismissal. pathetic line combinations. poor team strategy. glaring lack of discipline and work ethic ( which i would blame less on desire and more on poor conditioning due to poor practice habits.) once these things take hold, the culture of the team just becomes negative, and once that happens your in a rut, which is what last year was all about. trying to get out of a rut. players in slumps, team morale probably very low.

martin has already publicly addressed this as a problem which will be fixed. ( wow...a coach identifying a problem and offering a solution!) and it has been further evidenced by john tortorella allegedly calling out higgins on his work ethic in practice. like i said, i dont think its a problem of desire, i dont think higgins is a lazy player. i just think this team was not practicing like professionals last year and it gets engrained into a player.

we have a talented group. not only did we forget how great guys like pleks and AK46 looked just a year before, we fail to realize that in what was labelled a bad year for each, these 2 managed to still put up 20 and 23 goals respectively. everyone was an SK74 fan before he got put through the carbo ringer last year.

this team is going to be a harder working and more disciplined team than last year. i fully do not expect to see 2 or 3 failed attempts before getting the puck out. i do not expect to see us failing to gain the zone for 1:30 on the PP, then finally doing so and not being able to get a shot on net because travis moen is trying to work the halfboards. i dont even want to talk about our impenetrable defensive shell :rolleyes: being employed once we get a 1 goal lead in the 2nd period.

there will be a system, and the players will play it. there will be strategy. there will be proper fwd lines, and they will be properly matched to other teams lines. there will be timeouts taken when we need one. there will be a culture of confidence and positivity. there will be a world of difference.

I always try to stay optimistic, which is why I like this thread.

All things considered, new faces, new coach, finding new chemistry... I'm pretty pumped and expect good things this year. This doesn't mean I expect us to win the cup, but I think we'll be turning heads in the 2nd half of the season.

I like what JM has done with the lines in Brossard, AK46 on the 1st line, hmmm, very interesting. Gionta playing a long side Pleky, also very interesting.

I think the new faces will help spark some of the guys who struggled last season. We should have an entertaining season, just 1 more day til we get to see a pre-season game.

I'm itching so much for hockey that I watched the Bruins/Rangers, Nucks/Isles games on the NHL-Network. It was happy for Higgins, who scored the Rangers only goal. I wish Higgins the best in NY, just not against us. :P

One more day... ONE MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Positive?

we still haven't lost. :lol:

oh wait...

My real answer...MIKE CAMMALLERI !!! I still can't believe he is a HAB. His name is going to be in this topic often this season Mark My Words ;)

+1 i got carried away on my rant about carbo hahahhaha definetly meant to say everything you just said. i cant believe it either :D

In no particular order, I am going to get positive & say at least 5 of the following 8 will happen.

~ The team will finish in the top 4 in the conference

~ Gomez will have a career year, points wise & we will FINALLY have a #1 centre again - no more 1a 1b thing.

~ The team will go deep in the playoffs - perhaps as far as the finals.

~ Carey Price will return to early season form from last year & maintain it over the whole season.

~ By the end of the year we will be considered to have one of the top 3 defenses in the league.

~ Markov will be a finalist for the Norris.

~ Bob Gainey will make at least 1 "impact" trade before the trade deadline.

~ AK will finally have his breakout season.

The biggest positive is that we now have a team of hard workers. Therefore, I don't think we'll be complaining about work ethic this year. However, are we talented enough? That's the question that I've been asking myself all summer. Time will tell but for now, I'm excited that Habs hockey is around the corner.

its a definite yes for me. as i mentioned in my post up there, pleks and both k brothers had us all raving about them a short year before last. even in their off year they both broke 20 goals. gomez has proven he can put up 80 points, and was signed to such a huge contract for a reason, hes definetly a talent. gionta almost scored 50 with gomez, and has a nice little highlight reel. cams has proven he can put up 80 pts and shoot the lights out. heck i even remember not too long ago paul mara being a highly thought of dman. in markov we have a legit top 5 guy in the world.

we definetly have a decent roster, its if it all comes together. im very optimistic that it will. we had a year of carboaching and media scandal and injury and distraction. this year, we are off everyones radar again and we have made some very important improvements. i cant wait to see the result on the ice

its a definite yes for me. as i mentioned in my post up there, pleks and both k brothers had us all raving about them a short year before last. even in their off year they both broke 20 goals. gomez has proven he can put up 80 points, and was signed to such a huge contract for a reason, hes definetly a talent. gionta almost scored 50 with gomez, and has a nice little highlight reel. cams has proven he can put up 80 pts and shoot the lights out. heck i even remember not too long ago paul mara being a highly thought of dman. in markov we have a legit top 5 guy in the world.

we definetly have a decent roster, its if it all comes together. im very optimistic that it will. we had a year of carboaching and media scandal and injury and distraction. this year, we are off everyones radar again and we have made some very important improvements. i cant wait to see the result on the ice

I do see your points and and your excitement. While I'm positive that we'll do well, let's not forget that we were also positive that we had 4 scoring lines at the beginning of last year and that we were going to win the cup.

I am extremely excited though to see this team on the ice.

I think that one of the biggest positives right now is that we have a clean slate, and they are not expected by many critics to do well. This allows them to prove all the critics wrong and build a fresh chemistry throughout the year. A new coaching staff will instill disipline and work ethic (along with proper strategy and line making). Our prospects will get the chance to either crack the line-up or play a number of games (MMW Subban will play at least 20 games in the NHL this year). O'Byrne will have a comeback year and play a similar style to Komi, making him one of our top defensive defensmen. Andrei Kostitsyn will turn heads with his point production and play and boost my fantasy draft points to an all time high. With the first few games being played on the road the team will have the chance to build chemistry early.

We will make both bruins fans and Leafs fans EAT THEIR WORDS when they see the transformed Canadiens blowing past them in the standings!!!

I do see your points and and your excitement. While I'm positive that we'll do well, let's not forget that we were also positive that we had 4 scoring lines at the beginning of last year and that we were going to win the cup.

I am extremely excited though to see this team on the ice.

hahahha we did...or should have. like i said, carboaching and bad luck took care of that. tanguay, lats, lang, a.kost injured.....lousy system, lousy practices, all kinds of coaching problems killing what was left available on the ice.....it all went wrong for us last year. luck wise it could be just as bad, but i expect to at least see us playing disciplined and much more consistent hockey, and as a fan that's all i really ask for.

what do you personally think about martin though greek? im only focusing on the fact that its not carbo :P

so excited for this season. just ordered the Center Ice package on my cable provider (Time Warner). its difficult to get Habs games here in NY unless they play the Sabres, Rangers, or Devils. all of which i cant stand lol. i too believe its a bounce back year for Price and Plekanec. im also hoping to see that magic that Gionta and Gomez had together in NJ return. i think the new look defense is a damn monster. bodies will be hitting the ice and boards with the likes of Georges Laraque, Travis Moen, Hal Gill, and Paul Mara. adding a winner and hard worker like Spacek helps out a ton. i truly believe this Montreal team will be sitting pretty in the East with teams like Penguins, Capitals, and Bruins.

I think that one of the biggest positives right now is that we have a clean slate, and they are not expected by many critics to do well. This allows them to prove all the critics wrong and build a fresh chemistry throughout the year. A new coaching staff will instill disipline and work ethic (along with proper strategy and line making). Our prospects will get the chance to either crack the line-up or play a number of games (MMW Subban will play at least 20 games in the NHL this year). O'Byrne will have a comeback year and play a similar style to Komi, making him one of our top defensive defensmen. Andrei Kostitsyn will turn heads with his point production and play and boost my fantasy draft points to an all time high. With the first few games being played on the road the team will have the chance to build chemistry early.

We will make both bruins fans and Leafs fans EAT THEIR WORDS when they see the transformed Canadiens blowing past them in the standings!!!

That is music to my ears. :D

hahahha we did...or should have. like i said, carboaching and bad luck took care of that. tanguay, lats, lang, a.kost injured.....lousy system, lousy practices, all kinds of coaching problems killing what was left available on the ice.....it all went wrong for us last year. luck wise it could be just as bad, but i expect to at least see us playing disciplined and much more consistent hockey, and as a fan that's all i really ask for.

what do you personally think about martin though greek? im only focusing on the fact that its not carbo :P

I feel that Martin will bring the stability that this team has been lacking. Let's not forget that this is the first coach we've had since Jacques Demers that has NHL coaching experience. It still shocks me that this is the first time since 1993 that we've had an experienced coach. That said, I expect that it will a no nonsense season. If someone gets benched it will be because he deserves it and not just to make a point to the others. I doubt we'll see the line juggling we saw last year and I seriously doubt that he'll be in front of the media blaming the players.

Archived