The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumor: Markov Turns Down Captaincy

mortwinkler

With Saku Koivu gone to Anaheim, the Montreal Canadiens seem to be having a hard time finding their next captain.

According to the Montreal Gazette, defenceman Andrei Markov was approached by the team to take the role, but he declined.

The eight-year NHL veteran, who was an alternate captain last season, recorded 12 goals and 52 assists in 78 games for the Canadiens. Those 64 points were the second highest on the team.

The Canadiens have added seven new faces to their roster, including Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta after losing much of their former core group of players, including former alternate captains Alex Kovalev, Christopher Higgins and Mike Komisarek.

Koivu was the second-longest serving captain in the franchise's 100-year history, behind only the legendary Jean Beliveau.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291208

Because TSN admits this is speculation & several other sites say that Markov denies being approached, I have added the "rumor" tag to the topic title.

Jedimaas

With Saku Koivu gone to Anaheim, the Montreal Canadiens seem to be having a hard time finding their next captain.

According to the Montreal Gazette, defenceman Andrei Markov was approached by the team to take the role, but he declined.

The eight-year NHL veteran, who was an alternate captain last season, recorded 12 goals and 52 assists in 78 games for the Canadiens. Those 64 points were the second highest on the team.

The Canadiens have added seven new faces to their roster, including Scott Gomez, Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta after losing much of their former core group of players, including former alternate captains Alex Kovalev, Christopher Higgins and Mike Komisarek.

Koivu was the second-longest serving captain in the franchise's 100-year history, behind only the legendary Jean Beliveau.

Being a Captain is not for everyone. I don't think Markov should be Captain. Your best player does not need to be the captain. This only works for Pee Wee hockey

I question this article since the Habs tend to let the players vote for the captain so why would the team have approached him.

Maybe they were just asking him if he was interested

If the story is factual then this is not a problem. The team made the correct move by offering the job to Markov and Andrei made the right move for himself in declining. He is a leader in his own right, and doesnt need the media distractions to complicate his role on the team. Someone will emerge as that leader in the comming weeks or months, that will be able to cope with the added pressures and demands as the Captain of the Habs. In the meantime,, its probably best to spread that responsibility among the assistants.

If the story is factual then this is not a problem. The team made the correct move by offering the job to Markov and Andrei made the right move for himself in declining. He is a leader in his own right, and doesnt need the media distractions to complicate his role on the team. Someone will emerge as that leader in the comming weeks or months, that will be able to cope with the added pressures and demands as the Captain of the Habs. In the meantime,, its probably best to spread that responsibility among the assistants.

I totally agree HTL, eventually a real leader will emerge.

I totally agree HTL, eventually a real leader will emerge.

From a coach's point of view should a leader / captain be one of the following?

A. Rah, rah kind of guy with average skills.

B. Not a rah, rah kind of guy but one who speaks his mind with above average skills.

C. A rah, rah kind of guy with above average skills.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure what I'm asking. :unsure:

Being a Captain is not for everyone. I don't think Markov should be Captain. Your best player does not need to be the captain. This only works for Pee Wee hockey

I question this article since the Habs tend to let the players vote for the captain so why would the team have approached him.

Maybe they were just asking him if he was interested

Both Jacques Martin and Bob Gainey said in interview the circumstances this year do not allow for the captain to be voted by the players. They'll name it together when they see one arise naturally.

Good for him, I hope the morons don't boo him. He made the best decision for the team, he is not captain material and he realizes it. Good for him. He likes to play well, an All Star effort and then quietly go home. Leave him alone. Let him be Andrei Markov.

As I was one that posted many times that I thought he should be next in line after captain #11 left.

Many thought he was not captain material....at least being offered the C shows me & I would assume Markov also,just how valuable & respected he is from the habs organization.

I will respect his decision....he's a class act,#1 in my books.

Andrei Markov didn't decline the opportunity to become team captain because he was never offered it. The gazzette reported it but there information is wrong. Jaques Martin confirmed that he hadn't asked Markov to be the captain and he also noted that the decision of team captain would be made by himself and Bob Gainey at the end of training camp.

Archived