The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alex Kovalev

CanadianMike

You know this topic had to be started.

All eyes will be on Kovy (even if he is not longer a Hab). His fans want to see him do well, and of course the ones that were happy to see him go...will want the opposite for the famous #27.

I wish him well. I like the Sens, so him signing with them didn't bother me as much as it could have. ;)

Good luck KOVY!

I believe Kovy is going to take some time to find the right guys to play with in Ottawa. Cluston wants to make a team with scoring depth so he isn't likely to play Kovy with Spezza and Alfredsson much. He played with Fisher and Cheechoo in his first game. Apparently he will play with Cheechoo and Shanon on Saturday. It seems Cluston would like a top line of Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson who will play tonight against Montreal.

Wish he didn't leave but with that being said I definitely won't be wishing him well while he's employed by a division rival. I'm actually pretty curious to see how he does in Ottawa. I know he seemed to thrive on being "the man" in Montreal and he's clearly not going to be that in Ottawa, but he was pretty great as a "secondary" scorer in Pittsburgh.

I read on an Ottawa message board that the Sens may also be interested in signing Lang to a one year deal at 1 million. This year will probably be an easy one for Kovy as he is out of the pressure cookers of Montreal(Centennial Season)/New York and is being put in a secondary scoring position with young players(something he is familiar with in Montreal). I expect he will put up his usual 20-30 goals and 60-70 points with strong play on the PP. If the Sens sign Lang I suspect he will play on the second line with Kovalev and they will produce good secondary output together.

• 2 weeks later...
Alexei Kovalev speaks of his new team and Markov/Sergei K

http://www.rds.ca/senateurs/chroniques/283537.html

Nice article, thanks for the link. He's a really nice guy and I especially like his take on Sergei. Going to Hamilton, playing some games in the AHL, showing everybody that they've made a major mistake and demanding a trade then would have been the smart thing to do, not the other way around.

Can someone translate the article...approximately? Just so I can have the gist of it?

• He's terribly saddened by his friend Markov's injury, and wonders whether Markov will make a full recover, given how damaging tendon injuries can be. Notes that while people are wondering about whether Markov will be ready for the Olympics, the first concern right now should be Andrei's health.
  • While he thinks SK's just as good a player as he ever was, he wouldn't have done what SK did. Instead, he'd have gone to Hamilton and done his best in 15 games to show the coaches that he deserves to play in Montreal.
  • Atmosphere in Ottawa locker is different from Montreal. More veterans who can deal with adversity over a season. Last year, as the season collapsed, the young players started to lose focus. Contrast w/ the Sens who he feels have more veteran leadership.
  • Looks forward to playing with Fisher and Regin, says that anyone can see the top line (Spezza, Alfie, Michalek) will be dangerous.

Not a very impressive first game. He looked a bit slow out there. Habs fans know those games where he looks like he can't handle the puck at all on the PP. It seemed when he got the puck he was having trouble settling it down at all. Hopefully he will be able to get going at some point down the road.

The Sens defense looks really bad in the first game. Their PK was especially horrible and allowed the Rangers all kinds of scoring chances against.

Alfredsson, Spezza, Michalek, Fisher, and Reign all played pretty well, but didn't capitalize on their opportunities.

My feeling is the Sens are going to rely a lot on their offense this year and if they can't get it going they will probably miss the playoffs.

Not a very impressive first game. He looked a bit slow out there. Habs fans know those games where he looks like he can't handle the puck at all on the PP. It seemed when he got the puck he was having trouble settling it down at all. Hopefully he will be able to get going at some point down the road.

The Sens defense looks really bad in the first game. Their PK was especially horrible and allowed the Rangers all kinds of scoring chances against.

Alfredsson, Spezza, Michalek, Fisher, and Reign all played pretty well, but didn't capitalize on their opportunities.

My feeling is the Sens are going to rely a lot on their offense this year and if they can't get it going they will probably miss the playoffs.

It's way too early in the season though. I mean the Wings are 0-2 and last in their conference ;)

Interesting... I am exuberant about Saku and the Ducks, but could care less about Kovalev and the Sens... :huh::P Kovalev may have been integral to this teams successes and failures over the past few seasons, but I don't miss him or care about his projected statistics anymore. He's just another player on another team. :mellow:

It seems like Saku fans always feel threatened about him being the most loved and revered player. In turn they come into other players threads and make comments about how this player is not missed by them in order to make themselves feel better about their love for Saku.

Anyway this is the Kovy thread and I don't see any Kovy fans bashing Saku in his thread so might as well just keep the two players seperate as they both have different fans and both are missed by those who enjoyed their different styles of play. Unfortunately those who like hard work are always at odds with those who appreciate the finnesse game which is basically why these two players fans base has almost always been at odds with eachother.

I don't think Kovy has looked great yet as a Sen. He looks like he is trying to find his place on the team. They have him playing the point on the PP which is something he is not used to doing anymore due to Ottawa's lack of a true offensive defenseman. I think he will find his way down the road. Kovy is Kovy and he will probably put up his 60 points a lot of which will likely come from the PP.

No TV station covered this game. Pathetic.

The Sens are doing pretty well even though they haven't found out what top lines they want. They are second in the conference though there is still a very long way to go and they have played some not so good teams. Still if they can get their top two lines going they should be at least competitive for a playoff spot this year. Their third and fourth lines have been really good so far.

Archived