The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kessel Traded To Toronto For Picks.

Kubby31

Although it's not completed, sources say the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins are putting the finishing touches on a trade that will deliver Phil Kessel to the Leafs.

Toronto is awaiting the final call to confirm the deal while the Bruins are believed to be wrapping up all internal discussions before signing off.

Kessel, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Bill Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

Details to follow.

Changed the title as it is now a done deal - Kessel to Toronto for 1st & 2nd in 2010 and a 1st in 2011

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291601

According to Darren Dreger from TSN, the Leafs and the Bruins have reached an agreement on a trade that would send Kessel to Toronto. It won't be annouced until the Leafs can sign him. If they can't, the deal won't happen.

http://twitter.com/nhlsourcessay

According to NHLSourcesSay, the deal is: 2 first one pick, one 2nd pick, one player and another pick!

Kessel is far overrated. Giving up 2 first rounders and a 2nd, + paying 5.5M over 5 years...... wow, this suddenly makes the Gomez deal not so bad.

Nothing personal (on any player), but when you are mortgaging the farm on a 5'11" 180 lb forward, you are destined to come up short (pun intended).

As i suspected,,,,Burke took the trade route and paid a premium above what compensation for an RFA would have cost. If he had gone the offer sheet route, he would have lost credibility after speaking out against it. No doubt it would have cost him less if he had kept his big mouth shut as the Ducks GM. The Boston GM knew he had him over a barrel after his rant against Lowe. IMO the deal is a huge overpayment, both Cap wise and prospect wise. If he doesnt manage to trade for a replacement 1st and 2nd rounder, Leaf fans will be crying like babies next summer.

5.3 cap hit on kessel...4.5 on komiserek...3.25 on beauchamin...i dont know...

What is the cap hit for

Markov

Hamrlik

Cammi

Gionta

Gomez

As for the injured comment . He's missed 20 or so games over three years

10 last year, none the year before and 10 three years ago

He's young ( 22 ) and scored 36 goals last year

Only question is , were those 36 goals a fluke and the result of playing with M Savard , or can he do it again .

Sometimes you have to take a chance on a player that shows promise or as HABS fans say has " potential ".

Give Burke props for at least trying .

What is the cap hit for

Markov

Hamrlik

Cammi

Gionta

Gomez

As for the injured comment . He's missed 20 or so games over three years

10 last year, none the year before and 10 three years ago

He's young ( 22 ) and scored 36 goals last year

Only question is , were those 36 goals a fluke and the result of playing with M Savard , or can he do it again .

Sometimes you have to take a chance on a player that shows promise or as HABS fans say has " potential ".

Give Burke props for at least trying .

lol GM's don't get props for trying, they get props for results. I'm not saying it's a bad move, it's a pretty big contract on top of all the picks but we'll see. His numbers will likely dip this year as a result of the worse supporting cast but he's also very young and has the potential to be a dynamic goal scoerer, which the Leafs needed and is hard to find.

I thought you were rebuilding Leafs?

Seriously though, the Leafs are a pretty good team now.

Kessel is 21 years old.

I think Bruins won this trade easily.

Considering they had no Cap room to fit him in the lineup,, then i would have to agree. If Kessel is able to repeat last seasons numbers (or better them) and continue to improve as the contract matures,,, then it evens it out a little for the Leafs. Big gamble on the Leafs part (Cap wise) if Kessel doesnt shine in T.O.

Kudos to Kessel for nailing down a huge contract as a UFA. He's the BIG winner in all this.

lol GM's don't get props for trying, they get props for results. I'm not saying it's a bad move, it's a pretty big contract on top of all the picks but we'll see. His numbers will likely dip this year as a result of the worse supporting cast but he's also very young and has the potential to be a dynamic goal scoerer, which the Leafs needed and is hard to find.

Time will of course tell, but to me I think this might have been a very BAD move for the leafs. Those picks are likely all going to be very high and while i know Kessel is young & has had one good season (35g for a 21 year old) but he is still a guy with "potential" - certainly not a sure thing.

Will be very interesting to see how this pans out. Thankfully, whoever loses, I'll be happy with, because I hate both the leafs AND the bruins. :P

Time will of course tell, but to me I think this might have been a very BAD move for the leafs. Those picks are likely all going to be very high and while i know Kessel is young & has had one good season (35g for a 21 year old) but he is still a guy with "potential" - certainly not a sure thing.

It could turn out bad. It is a move for a potential star, but the thing is it's more than just raw potential: he's shown he can score 36 goals and have a pretty good playoffs at a young age. That doesn't guarantee he's going to be scoring 40 goals a season for the rest of his career, but it's a lot better than getting a pure prospect or whatever.

The picks look painful to lose. However, if they are confident Kessel works out, it's not particularly bad. A column I liked was Cullen's http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960 on what a pick is worth. It shows that even for a pick in the 6-10 range, the likely outcome is a low-end NHL regular. The thing is, the majority of picks just don't work out very well. Statistically a second round pick is likely to be a minor leaguer. So while losing picks always hurts, most picks don't work out the way you want and it's unlikely the Leafs just gave up 3 key parts of the team. If the Leafs think they are getting a sure thing, it is probably worth it.

I think the way the Leafs are looking at this is worst-case, Kessel should still be a decent second line player, best case he's a star. With picks you may get a star, but you may also get nothing.

In conclusion, I'm not sure, the price appeared steep, but looking at it closely this could work out very well for them.

lol GM's don't get props for trying, they get props for results.

No kidding :rolleyes:

Let me know when all these great draft picks BG made pan out .

I've been waiiting now for several years but he turns around and trades them ( see Higgins, Komi , Mcdonaugh )

Sure the leafs gave up 1st round draft picks but unless you end up within the 1st five or so what are the chances of getting a guy who can step in right away and score 20 + goals

No kidding :rolleyes:

Let me know when all these great draft picks BG made pan out .

I've been waiiting now for several years but he turns around and trades them ( see Higgins, Komi , Mcdonaugh )

Sure the leafs gave up 1st round draft picks but unless you end up within the 1st five or so what are the chances of getting a guy who can step in right away and score 20 + goals

Well saying he turns around and trades his "great" draft picks is wrong, he didn't draft Higgins or Komisarek (Nor was Komisarek even actually traded). I also think BG has been catching a fair amount of heat for some of the picks made during the 1st round during his tenure (we've been pretty good and finding guys in later rounds).

With that being said, it's not even just the draft picks, the contract was actually pretty steep, it only buys up 1 year of his UFA eligibility and 5.4 million for a 60 point guy who isn't even arbitration eligible is quite high. I understand Burke needed to do it to get a good player at that age, but it is a very steep price to pay and that's why you don't see more teams go this route.

How good is Kessel? He's got dynamic speed and a great shot/release combo, he definitely has a long way to go in some other aspects of his game but his raw scoring ability is next to impossible to find. I'm pretty sure he's not quite a 35+ goal guy yet on this Toronto team, but he will score well over 20 and will develop with the team as a young guy which had to be another big selling point.

With that being said, it's not even just the draft picks, the contract was actually pretty steep, it only buys up 1 year of his UFA eligibility and 5.4 million for a 60 point guy who isn't even arbitration eligible is quite high.

BG is paying two 29 yr olds, Gionta and Gomez $ 5 and $ 8 million respectively for 60 pt players

That's pretty steep price to pay

At least Kessel is younger and taller :P

I could care less but I do think it makes the Leafs better "IF " Kessel can repeat what he did last year and IF it wasn't mostly due to playing with M Savard

It could turn out bad. It is a move for a potential star, but the thing is it's more than just raw potential: he's shown he can score 36 goals and have a pretty good playoffs at a young age. That doesn't guarantee he's going to be scoring 40 goals a season for the rest of his career, but it's a lot better than getting a pure prospect or whatever.

The picks look painful to lose. However, if they are confident Kessel works out, it's not particularly bad. A column I liked was Cullen's http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960 on what a pick is worth. It shows that even for a pick in the 6-10 range, the likely outcome is a low-end NHL regular. The thing is, the majority of picks just don't work out very well. Statistically a second round pick is likely to be a minor leaguer. So while losing picks always hurts, most picks don't work out the way you want and it's unlikely the Leafs just gave up 3 key parts of the team. If the Leafs think they are getting a sure thing, it is probably worth it.

I think the way the Leafs are looking at this is worst-case, Kessel should still be a decent second line player, best case he's a star. With picks you may get a star, but you may also get nothing.

In conclusion, I'm not sure, the price appeared steep, but looking at it closely this could work out very well for them.

Your logic is sound, Graeme and I agree with most of it.

If even 2 of thos draft picks work out (low odds) then Toronto loses, but I guess we'll wait and see. I have never personally been sold on Kessel, I have felt he's been overhyped since he was drafted - there's definitely skill there, but as you've eluded to, he may never be more than a 2nd liner (which at 21, he's already proven that he is) so its now just a waiting game.

How good is Kessel? He's got dynamic speed and a great shot/release combo, he definitely has a long way to go in some other aspects of his game but his raw scoring ability is next to impossible to find. I'm pretty sure he's not quite a 35+ goal guy yet on this Toronto team, but he will score well over 20 and will develop with the team as a young guy which had to be another big selling point.

But for how long? If he spends the next few years "developing" at 60 pts a season for $5.5m and then once he hits his prime goes UFA and signs with the highest bidder...ouch.

But for how long? If he spends the next few years "developing" at 60 pts a season for $5.5m and then once he hits his prime goes UFA and signs with the highest bidder...ouch.

Well how much is it worth to "develop" at 60 points? As Regis pointed out we just paid an older 60 point guy in Gionta the same kind of money on the UFA market (and yes, I know a UFA is completely different and Gionta is a much better defenively) but even if he does "only" score 60 points he's not going to be a huge bust and he has the chance to be a 40 goal guy so it's relatively low risk and high reward.

The price is very high for a guy with very little bargaining power other than a hold out, but it's basically the price they had to pay to get a potential star player in.

BG is paying two 29 yr olds, Gionta and Gomez $ 5 and $ 8 million respectively for 60 pt players

Im sorry, you're comparing 2 of the best 2 way players in the league with an, albeit talented, offense-only player?

Regis, you know there's more to hockey than points. Gionta & Gomez could be your 1st unit PK if you wanted them to - and first unit PP and top line. Kessel looks out of place anywhere but the offensive zone. (BTW, Gomez has averaged 70+ pts 4 of the last 5 years and Gionta has averaged 67 over the last 4).

Well how much is it worth to "develop" at 60 points? As Regis pointed out we just paid an older 60 point guy in Gionta the same kind of money on the UFA market (and yes, I know a UFA is completely different and Gionta is a much better defenively) but even if he does "only" score 60 points he's not going to be a huge bust and he has the chance to be a 40 goal guy so it's relatively low risk and high reward.

Maybe, but i wouldnt call 2 first rounders & 1 second by a team that could arguably finish last in the NHL as 'low risk' ;)

Archived