The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Why Do Leafs Fans Think Their Team Is So Good?

LeafsDog

will the leafs make the playoffs  

60 members have voted

1. 1. will the leafs make the playoffs

• No
    • Yes

The Leafs... The Leafs... Yeah, I don't understand why people think they are even remotely improved. Heck, I made a $100 bet with my co-worker the other day. If Montreal finishes ahead of Toronto in the standings I am getting $100! Wooooooooooo! :D:lol: Back to The Leafs. Ron Wilson is a strong head coach. I respect him a lot. However, he has almost nothing to work with on offense. Any night his team takes off, no one in that lineup has enough skill to make up for it. The defense is improved only be the maturation of Luke Schenn, who, to me, seems like he's going to be a very good d-man for years to come. The additions of Komisarek and Beauchemin are risky. No one knows how these guys are going to perform. Komisarek coming off a horrible season and Beauchemin having major surgery and missing an entire year.

I think the Leafs have improved over this off-season.

Do I think their Cup contenders? Nope.

But I'm not bias, because I don't think the Habs are Cup contenders either.

I think if the Leaf stick with Brian Burke and continue on with their restructuring and whatnot that they'll be a pretty decent team.

I like it when the Leafs have a good time and we play them. There isn't much point in gloating about beating a basement team. :)

They're a better team this year, no doubt, particularly on the backend. But I am not sure they are a playoff team yet. Outside of Kaberle, I see a dearth of good puck-moving defensemen and a lack of foot speed that will be exploited by teams with quick forwards. Then, as JR noted, there are the questions marks surrounding off-season acquisitions such as Beauchemin. And while adding Kessel will undoubtedly boost their offense, IMO they gave up way too much for him, and still don't have a well-rounded, legitimate top-six.

I think they've become a slightly better, but not much better team. The team is tougher, and will be more "blue collar hockey" but they still will finish in 9th-11th. Kessel is a really good player, but giving up 2 1st round and a 2nd round pick is just way too high a price. I thought they were done trading away picks for players? (granted, a (21-22 i think) year old player is quite different from the Pecas, Nolans, and Lindros's from before.

They are close, close enough to be a dark horse this season however I believe they are just one more season shy of making the playoffs. The reason being because of the amount of competion for those last few berthes. It is essentially a given Washington, Pittsburgh, Philidelphia, New Jersey and Boston will make the playoffs. Carolina has a solid chance as well in addition to New York (only if Gaborik can play 50-60+ games.) Thus that leaves one or two available spots that will be contested by Montreal, Toronto, Tampa, Florida and Ottawa. Defensively Toronto slaps around all four of those teams quite noticeably however even with Kessel the lack the offensive push. Tampa is the team to watch in my opinion. They are posed for a playoff berth with one ridiculous roster.

They might be closer, but I don't think they'll make it this year...mainly for the reasons stated by weep. The cards could fall in the right place and they may sneak into the 8 spot, but I don't see 'em finishing any higher than that. That being said, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Canadiens fan. Personally I'd like for Toronto to be more of a contender...that would certainly make the Boston and Toronto rivalries (with Montreal) even more heated. Yes the games are always intense, but if all three are battling for playoff spots there's another level to the rivalry.

I think they got better and will finish 8th barring injuries. With a healthy Toskala, an improved offense and defence, I don't see how anyone can say they haven't improved.

Okay, okay! I can admit that they HAVE improved... But I don't think by much. I think Burke will do a decent job over time, but they have an abysmal top-6 (Even with Kessel). The D is full of holes, too. I'm also one of the few people who think they won't be that tough to play against. What are they going to do? The same thing that they do every year? Okay, sure, we're going to lose some fights. Sure, we're going to get hit. Sure, sure, sure. That happens every year. I certainly don't care anymore. Physical play doesn't necessarily win regular season games. Scoring does.

Aren't the Leafs already mathematically eliminated?

:lol::lol:

I think the Leafs have improved over this off-season.

Do I think their Cup contenders? Nope.

But I'm not bias, because I don't think the Habs are Cup contenders either.

I think if the Leaf stick with Brian Burke and continue on with their restructuring and whatnot that they'll be a pretty decent team.

I like it when the Leafs have a good time and we play them. There isn't much point in gloating about beating a basement team. :)

Good post,agree .

because they're morons.

Leafs Suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

With a healthy Toskala, an improved offense and defence, I don't see how anyone can say they haven't improved.

Can't argue with that.

Leafs fans *always* overrate and overhype their team.

The koolaid just gets pumped directly into the water mains over here, folks. :rolleyes:

Let's face it: when you've been this mediocre for this long, any tiny incremental improvement will seem dramatic.

The fans have lost touch of what real elite players look like. They haven't seen playoff hockey since before the lockout. That means some of their younger fans have *never* seen their team in the playoffs. How can they comprehend what a team needs to actually go into battle against some of these efficient, well-oiled winning machines that go deep every spring? They don't get it.

Leafs fans *always* overrate and overhype their team.

Same could be said for Hab fans

Last year , and the year before , there was talk about this great team BG put together and all the great young prospects we have and how we were set for years

Now this summer he blew it up and is starting over again

As some have mentioned , it's hard not to argue that the Leafs D is improved, at least on paper

Goaltending " should " be better as they now have arguably the best goalie coach in the biz to teach their goalies

So there league leading worst " total goals against " should be better

Their offence is questionable but they did score 244 goals last year , two more than Montreal , and they did add Phil Kesell

On paper the Leafs " should " be better

I think both Toronto and Montreal have a lot of question marks by there names. If Toronto works hard like they did last season they won't be a easy team to get 2 points from. There more a blue coller team and we seen last year how Boston played well in that system even though they had more talent on there roster.

Montreal could be a top 3 team if everything works well (if they play Martin system and Price shows the world his talent which is the only reason for a top 3 finish) or the team could finishs 9th,10th or 11th because they don't play the system and Price drops another stinker of a season (which I don't believe he will do because he is way to talented to fail)(great goaltending will make an average team look awesome) IMO

As for Toronto I hope for selfish reason they place around 9th or 10th so Boston doesn't get a top 5 pick in the draft with Toronto first round pick :D

Yea I hate them both :P

Same could be said for Hab fans

I don't see it that way.

It never ceases to amaze me how hypercritical Habs fans are of their team.

Complaints and negativity begin sometimes before the season has even started.

Individual players are scrutinized and seldom do fans sound happy with what they see.

Usually nothing but an absolute blowout produces any kind of generalized satisfaction.

I don't mean here on the forum, just the media, blogs, discussion shows, etc...

Having lived both in Montreal and in the GTA, I find that Leafs fans over-evaluate their team and excuse poor performance, while Habs fans under-evaluate their team and tend to find fault with every little thing.

I'm not saying this is a gospel truth, just my personal impression.

I don't see it that way.

It never ceases to amaze me how hypercritical Habs fans are of their team.

Complaints and negativity begin sometimes before the season has even started.

Individual players are scrutinized and seldom do fans sound happy with what they see.

Usually nothing but an absolute blowout produces any kind of generalized satisfaction.

I don't mean here on the forum, just the media, blogs, discussion shows, etc...

Having lived both in Montreal and in the GTA, I find that Leafs fans over-evaluate their team and excuse poor performance, while Habs fans under-evaluate their team and tend to find fault with every little thing.

I'm not saying this is a gospel truth, just my personal impression.

This is the truth alot of Habs fans are overly critical at times when it comes to our team, myself included.

Leaf fans have always been dilusional. but even more dilusional this year.

Most fans of any team are dElusional! lol! even hab fans!

I've posted on the other threads regarding the Leafs/Burke. It's amazing how much attention that franchise receives here and everywhere.. I guess they really are the yankees of hockey (minus the championships...)

Archived