The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Magic Number For 09/10 Season

Welcome to """Chocolates Office"""

This thread will be used to calculate the number of points needed for the Habs to clinch a playoff spot. An explanation will follow this post. I'll steal a little of Chocs thunder by declaring the current MN number as....

We all look forward to Chocs calculations of the MN and any bonus points available day to day.

Let's all hope for an early celebration of what this thread is all about....

Hitting the big 0 :D

WHAT IS THE MN ( MAGIC NUMBER)

The MN is a mathematical calculation of how many points are required by the Habs to be GUARANTEED a playoff position.

HOW DOES IT WORK

The starting number is 165. This number is based on 82 games at 2 points each for a total of 164. We must add another point as the tie breaker thus totaling 165.

This number is reduced by 2 points for every regulation, overtime or shootout VICTORY by the Habs.

Its reduced by 1 point for every overtime or shootout loss by the Habs ( considered a TIE).

The number can also be reduced by what we call BONUS POINTS.

These occur whenever the team(s) in 9th place loses points ( 2 for regulation loss and 1 for OT or SO loss) whether or not the Habs are playing on that day.

NOTE: not all teams will have played an equal amount of games on any given point of the season therefore calculations are bassed on net losses.

OTHER MN NUMBERS

MN EPD ( Estimated Party Date :D )NUMBER

This number is a prediction of when the MN will hit 0 based on current pace of points accumulated to date,,, and the maintaining of that pace going forward.

MN HOME ICE, DIVISION & CONFERENCE NUMBERS

Same principle is applied as the regular MN number. When these numbers hit 0 then we have clinched that honour.

MN T.O. NO GO NUMBER

A different twist to this number. When it reaches 0 then the LEAFS are officially ELIMINATED from the playoffs.

Other NO GO numbers will be added later on in the season when playoff races develop.

MN is 165 now.

Current NL (Net Loss) standings in the East and MN table. Don't forget to press refresh button (after that you will see the current standings throughout the season on any posts which contain this images).

MN_Standings_East.pngPress refresh button to update the images

MN_Signature.png

No analysis yet, as we need at least 8 teams in the East to lose points before we can get any bonuses. Before that, from the MN perspective, these are preferable right now:

1. Montreal wins;

2. Laughs lose;

3. No ties in regulation for Eastern teams;

4. An Eastern team loses in inter-conference games;

5. A team from our division loses (for today it would be Boston in their game vs Washington).

MN is 165 now.

Current NL (Net Loss) standings in the East and MN table. Don't forget to press refresh button (after that you will see the current standings throughout the season on any posts which contain this images).

MN_Signature.png

No analysis yet, as we need at least 8 teams in the East to lose points before we can get any bonuses. Before that, from the MN perspective, these are preferable right now:

1. Montreal wins;

2. Laughs lose;

3. No ties in regulation for Eastern teams;

4. An Eastern team loses in inter-conference games;

5. A team from our division loses (for today it would be Boston in their game vs Washington).

I thought the post needed a little more umphhh Choc. :D:D Great job as usual. ;)

and shoot! Andrei Markov is hospitalized after having his lower leg (just above the foot) cut last night by Carey Price's skate... arrrrrgh!!! Some speculation that if a tendon has been severed he will not be back soon :(

I don`t think this is a good start to the season. The guys on the back end need to step it up and fill Markov`s shoes...

MN is 163 now.

Current NL standings in the East and MN table. Don't forget to press refresh button.

MN_Signature.png

First bonus analysis of the season!

Yes, we can get bonuses tomorrow. Even more, We are garantied to get at least one bonus.

Actually, we should get 2 bonuses, unless bunch of Saturday games ends up in TO/SO.

The bottom line - if Montreal wins the Magic Number will drop by 3 or 4 points tomorrow.

Yes, we can get bonuses tomorrow. Even more, We are garantied to get at least one bonus.

Actually, we should get 2 bonuses, unless bunch of Saturday games ends up in TO/SO.

The bottom line - if Montreal wins the Magic Number will drop by 3 or 4 points tomorrow.

Good news, indeed. Hopefully, seeing as how it's only the 2nd game of the season with all these new faces, we won't be missing Markov as much as if it were later in the season. Hold down the fort, Team. GO HABS GO!

We love bonus points :D Hopefully the Habs can do in those pesky Sabres. I hate doing other teams home openers. :angry:

Good and the bad.

Get 2 more points lose 2 more players.

Two more for sure off the MN and i'll wait for the official word from Choc about the possible Bonus points.

Either way, its good for another WOOT :D

And 1 more WOOT for a Leaf loss. :P

So, hypothetical question... if we're in 9th, and lose, do we knock off another 2 points? Not that I expect it to happen, just curious.

In this hypothetical case, if the team #8 loses points as well they become bonus points go off the MN. Whenever the habs are in 8h or higher, the team #9 is the bonus cow. Otherwise it is the team #8.

who were the bonuses tonight?

Its still too jumbled up for me to figure out. :blink: Thank God for Choc. He did guarantee 1 though. :D

We need an UPDATE :lol:

Habs won, we got 2 bonus points, meaning 4 points off the MN.

MN is 159 now.

Current NL standings in the East and MN table. Don't forget to press refresh button.

MN_Signature.png

I am not able to make bonus analysis for Sunday right now as I have to sleep first. I will do it, when I wake up tomorrow.

Archived