Canadiens de Montreal

Pittsburgh Penguins 2009-2010

GreekHockeyCoach

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this deadline (combined with the past 2) Pittsburgh's strategy. Everyon always used to say things like "they need to trade Malkin for a winger", but this is an interesting way to build their team. They invest all their money at center for the year, and it's enough for them to get a playoff spot. Then at the deadline, when rentals only cost roughly 1/3 of their salary, they trade for a winger or two to help out in the playoffs. It costs them picks/prospects, so we'll see how it works long term, but so far it's allowing them to have a more complete team enter the playoffs while not having to worry so much about the cap.

• 2 months later...
I think this deadline (combined with the past 2) Pittsburgh's strategy. Everyon always used to say things like "they need to trade Malkin for a winger", but this is an interesting way to build their team. They invest all their money at center for the year, and it's enough for them to get a playoff spot. Then at the deadline, when rentals only cost roughly 1/3 of their salary, they trade for a winger or two to help out in the playoffs. It costs them picks/prospects, so we'll see how it works long term, but so far it's allowing them to have a more complete team enter the playoffs while not having to worry so much about the cap.

I think Crosby and Malkin are burning out having to carry so much weight every year. Crosby also was a big part of the Canadiens winning in the olympics. He hasn't had much rest in the last couple years going to the finals twice and the gold medal. As Crosby and Malkin get older their bodies will wear down a bit and it will be harder for them to carry the team in the way they have so far.

Byslma not really presenting himself as a Stanley Cup winning coach when he's busy remarking that "70% puck possession" (which I know has to be a high estimation; you never seem more than 65% in soccer and that has more one-sided possession that hockey ever has) "will usually win you a series".

Fact of the matter is that Game 7 reflects with Pens "out-turning-over-the puck" the Habs by a margin of 14 - 0. :blink:

I mean, if your team is going to cough it up like that, and in the most inopportune spots, well you can pretty much have all of the puck that you want!! :D

I know, he was likely only protecting his players some, publicly. That's par for the course. He's not not going to call out his goaltender for saving less than 90% of the shots on him either. That's all fine.

Pens look to need some re-balancing of the line-up, especially with Guerin getting a year older. They need some defensive D (Gonchar, Goligoski and Letang are not that) and some wingers who can score (Talbot had two goals this season).

Not out of the realm that Staal or Malkin could be traded to accomplish that (Crosby is rather untouchable). (And I am not sure what is coming up through the ranks to plug the "holes".)

But why did Crosby refuse to go to the Worlds, if only to make up for his failure vs. the Habs?

He probably needs a break as I pointed out. Hes been playing a lot of minutes the last three years going deep into the playoffs twice and to the gold medal game.

Very good point...rentals...the talk is on again to trade one of their centers i.e. Malkin because they need better wingers and have 20 mil tied up in 3 centers...Crosby, Malkin and Stall. Rentals and stay under the cap...I like it! It would work if they get better (more timely) goaltending.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived