The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carolina Hurricanes 2009-2010

GreekHockeyCoach

• 4 weeks later...

they are are now on their way to losing their 8th game in a row and there doesn't seem to be an end in site..... in fact they are losing this afternoon to the sharks and judging by the crowd size.....I just answered my question below.... :D

what the hell happened to this team??....any thoughts.................. and if the losing continues we will see what kind of hockey market Raleigh is.

Oh wow, the Canes are certainly living up to their logo: swirls of water in a flushing toilet bowl. Who knows what happened, but they certainly can't be THIS bad. I'm definately expecting them to rebound and play some competitive hockey sometime in the future, but if they don't, then say hello to the new 2005-06 Flyers.

Guest NvidiaN

They're averaging ~16,500 people a game according to that article. If I remember correctly, Boston only averaged 17,000 and Washington 18,000, last season. That doesn't sound so bad to me. They've got a weak product, in a weak economy, in a less than ideal market. The article even cites that ticket prices haven't gone up this year on average around the league.

No matter how you slice it, the Hurricanes are still out-selling the Coyotes, and they're not going to move to Hartford :P;)

I know , I know......can't you guys give me something to get happy about when it comes to the canes :huh: ....by the way, you don't really believe the NHL attendance numbers do you? Those are tickets sold, including comp's, giveaways and whatever else. I'm talking actual butts in the seats and if you ever watch a canes game...theres way more than 2,000 empty seats there.

and I don't want them back in Hartford....I will take the coyotes or the islanders though :D

I know , I know......can't you guys give me something to get happy about when it comes to the canes :huh: ....by the way, you don't really believe the NHL attendance numbers do you? Those are tickets sold, including comp's, giveaways and whatever else. I'm talking actual butts in the seats and if you ever watch a canes game...theres way more than 2,000 empty seats there.

and I don't want them back in Hartford....I will take the coyotes or the islanders though :D

So what? As long as the tickers are sold (but giveaways is something else), from a business perspective, I don't care if I sell someone a product and they don't use it, as long as they paid me for it.

The Habs sell out every game, but every game the stadium isn't full.

so what?????????? :huh:

wasn't the point of migrating to the south was to expand the fan base....so to you its perfectly ok to have "sold" ( maybe,sold) 16,000 tickets but have from what I saw the other night about 10,500 at the game. Maybe you should get the center ice package and watch games from Carolina, Atlanta, Nashville, Florida and Phoenix and come talk to me.....butts in the seats mean more than you think, it means everything when trying to build a fanbase.....don't come talk to me when Boston was having a bad run of attendance during some bad seasons ...that is already a proven market.

and if you're selling a product and people buy it but don't use it, how long do you think you would stay in business without people coming back to buy more? :rolleyes:

the whole expansion thing went nuts around 94 when the rangers won, hockey was hot and on the cover of SI, etc. the owners took advantage of this to grab as much expansion $ as possible. most of the southern teams that are struggling will probably get moved eventually, the market just won't be there, especially in a down economy.

Kinda surprised just how much this team has struggled since the start of the season.....

Feel really bad especially for Ward....if things just couldn't get any worse for him....now his injury. ;)

How long before a major move/shake-up occurs within this organization?

really.....I'm not surprised at all. They made no real moves over the summer and re-signed some aging veterans that they shouldn't have. I don't feel bad for these guys, well ofcourse for injuries I do, and really I don't mean to sound like some psycho bitter whalers fan. I really don't hold anything against the fans or the players ( except for Brind'Amour, thats one ugly bas***d)....lol.....but as far as the owner goes, Karmanos. I hope he loses his shirt on this move. He has lost money every year except one and that just brings a smile to my face....Raleigh was to be the promised land from that hell-hole Hartford :P

Canes Sign Legace....

The Carolina Hurricanes have announced that the team has agreed to terms with goaltender Manny Legace on a one-year contract. The deal will pay Legace $500,000 on the NHL level and $105,000 on the American Hockey League (AHL) level.

In six games this season with the Chicago Wolves, Legace has posted a 2-2 record with a 3.21 goals against average, and a .898 save percentage.

The 10-year NHL veteran was originally drafted by the Hartford Whalers in the eighth round (188th overall) of the 1993 NHL Entry Draft. Legace has appeared in 337 games during his NHL career with a record of 177-92-36 including 23 shutouts, with a 2.38 GAA and a save percentage of .912 with the Los Angeles Kings, Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues.

Legace will take the ice at practice today with the Hurricanes.

Ward, who suffered a severe cut to his leg on Saturday night, is expected to be out at least a month, if not longer.

Archived