The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Sign Marc-andre Bergeron

Guest Huet#39

Guest Huet#39

QUOTE (paul_b @ Oct 4 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a bad pickup. He can put the puck in the net, now trying to keep it out of ours.....well........

Anyone know how much he is making??

He's still a UFA.

no thanks. We don't need another defensive pylon at our back-end.

C'mon he's not that bad. He's got a great shot!

Guest Huet#39
hm, i don't know... i would rather give a chance to weber. but on the other hand, we have lost obyrne as well, so maybe some addition would be necessary.

I say sign him and call up Weber.

Guest Huet#39

Ya but look Markov is gone for 4 months and now O'byrne 6 weeks. I'm not a big fan of his but he's been playing well. So now we're short 2 defencemen. Subban I still think is too young and not ready but for sure Weber and maybe Carle. But I wouldn't mind Bergeron right now that's for sure.

i saw liles being mentioned on the fourth period, but i'm not posting the link because my computer ran into some problems (failing to initialize) when i clicked over to the story.

The initial 'report' came from Bruce Garrioch (Ottawa Sun), who isn't the most reliable 'journalist' out there. I'd put him on par with Eklund the great.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/columnists...3/11280261.html

Well he is UFA. Sign him to a one year deal at under $2 million. With OB out for 6 weeks and Markov out 4 months. I think Weber, Belle, Henry, and maybe Subban can fill a spot on the roster but with two roster spots currently out why not use some of the LTIR to sign a "replacement" defenceman. $5.75 million times 4/6 savings equals $3.83 cap savings for the LTIR. I am assuming Markov will play the final 2 months which means his effective cap hit is $1.92 million.

Well he is UFA. Sign him to a one year deal at under $2 million. With OB out for 6 weeks and Markov out 4 months. I think Weber, Belle, Henry, and maybe Subban can fill a spot on the roster but with two roster spots currently out why not use some of the LTIR to sign a "replacement" defenceman. $5.75 million times 4/6 savings equals $3.83 cap savings for the LTIR. I am assuming Markov will play the final 2 months which means his effective cap hit is $1.92 million.

True thats a ton of cash,

Issue is you dont really want to trade for someone worth the 4 million, As we would then need to give up something pretty significant... SO Find a UFa and sign him

No trades unless its going to be more then a filler role.Meaning if we make a trade keep the YOUNG player 2-3 yrs

Yeah,lets take a step back to the past.A small soft d-man so the b's,philly etc. can roll over us. that would be the worst move to make.We could bring breezy out of retirement and pair them together.

Id rather pick up a guy like Dandenault & then dress 7 d every night.

Bergeron is a "puck moving defensman" (who have never put up particularly great numbers, btw) but he's horribly bad defensively.

Look, we cant replace Markov, so trying to get someone who is an offensively gifted dman is going to require either a huge trade (not worth it) or signing someone who is not capable in his own zone.

Rather than try to replace markov's points, lets look at options for replacing the defensive portion of his game (much more likely) and then let our forwards to the scoring. In guys like Spacek, Hamrlik & Mara, we do already have dmen who can play a good transition game.

I think he's got great foot speed and a great shot but he's apparently terrible 5on5. But then again so was Souray.

From what ive seen of Bergeron over the past few years, Souray would, in comparison, be considered a defensive defensman.

Also, remember that Souray has had 5 seasons where he prorated out over 50pts in 82 games. Bergeron has only ever broken 35 points once. He's not exactly a "scorer" whose defensive games you can make an exception for.

People might scream about it,,, but as a bandaid solution, i too wouldnt object to Dandy. He's a known commodity with both versatility and speed ( we are slow back on D). He's already on record as saying he would have loved to return as a Hab this past summer and i'm certain he can be had for about 750,000 to under a mill for the year. We cant look at this as a Markov replacement but as a depth move. If we lose one more guy later on, we wouldnt have enough NHL ready guys ( or for that matter too many inexperienced D in the lineup) and possibly no other options should these available UFA's get snapped up. Trading for a guy means giving up assets and IMO thats not a preferable scenerio.

Archived