The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Thrashers To Winnipeg?

Dintrox12

On HNIC during Satellite Hotstove, Al Strachan mentioned that some Ontario based investors were interested in buying the Thrashers and moving them to the 'Peg. CBC and Strachan have elaborated a bit more. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/20...s-winnipeg.html

Strachan stressed

1) this is under serious consideration and the investor group includes media mogul David Thomson.

2) that there are a lot of hurdles to overcome including the board of governors and legal issues in Atlanta

Not a fan of Strachan's but at least this story was better than the banter about the NHLPA and Paul Kelly that dominated the segment.

On HNIC during Satellite Hotstove, Al Strachan mentioned that some Ontario based investors were interested in buying the Thrashers and moving them to the 'Peg. CBC and Strachan have elaborated a bit more. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/20...s-winnipeg.html

Strachan stressed

1) this is under serious consideration and the investor group includes media mogul David Thomson.

2) that there are a lot of hurdles to overcome including the board of governors and legal issues in Atlanta

Not a fan of Strachan's but at least this story was better than the banter about the NHLPA and Paul Kelly that dominated the segment.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/ho...r-63528102.html

"There’s two words that you can quote to our general manager, Don Waddell," Thrashers spokesman Rob Koch told the Free Press this morning, "which is ‘Completely false.’

Makes no sense, bad arena, bad metropolitan area, no TV deal, no corporate money, no chance.

The logic of moving the NHL to southern markets is sound, I don't see them giving up on Atlanta and Phoenix unless it's for Seattle and Las Vegas.

They need to expand their base, and now is a good time as for whatever reason NBA'S popularity is down.

The logic of moving the NHL to southern markets is sound, I don't see them giving up on Atlanta and Phoenix unless it's for Seattle and Las Vegas.

They need to expand their base, and now is a good time as for whatever reason NBA'S popularity is down.

Sorry , but is the type of warped thinking that is ruining the NHL. Let's see hockey may not be doing well in Atlanta, Nashville , Florida and Phoenix so lets move a team to Las Vegas or Kansas City........ :blink: ........The NBA has nothing to do with hockey, because the NBA is slowing in its draw how does that mean that the NHL will feed off of that. The NHL is becoming a joke in my opinion. There have been some successes but alot of failures along the way. How can one keep ignoring sound hockey markets such as Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford.

Isn't it funny how hard the NHL and Bettman work so hard to keep a team in a failing market but refuse to let a team go to a city that can sell out its season tickets in less than 24 hours.....crazy...BUT HEY, Kansas City had 3,000 for an exhibition game so they should for sure get the next team after all they do have a shiny new arena and in todays NHL thats all that matters.

..crazy...BUT HEY, Kansas City had 3,000 for an exhibition game so they should for sure get the next team after all they do have a shiny new arena and in todays NHL thats all that matters.

Oh and that shiny new rink is owned by AEG who also own the LA Kings. Bettman and the BOG always seem to find a way to help out the old boys network.

The Winnipeg Sun had an interesting article: http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/2...301261-sun.html

" A member of the league's board of governors confirmed the Atlanta Thrashers are one of about 10 NHL teams currently up for sale. New York Islanders owner Charles Wang, who is seeking a new arena for the team, recently said he might consider moving the franchise.

The governor, who wants to remain anonymous, told Sun Media he's heard "nothing" about the Toronto group mentioned on Hockey Night in Canada.

Winnipeg cannot support an NHL team in the current NHL.

• The arena, though nice, is about 2000 seats too small.
  • Winnipeg does not have enough people (not even 800,000)
  • Beyond not having enough people, these people are cheap. This is not a bad thing: it means we are not going to pay hundreds of dollars to take the family to an NHL game more than once a year, if at all.
  • The arena does not have enough boxes
  • The city does not have enough corporations willing or able to support a team.

It comes down to this: Winnipeg loves hockey, but only at the right price. A price the NHL will never be able to offer us. The league will have to collapse and restructure for this city to ever have anything more than the AHL.

There is another way we could get a team, but it would never happen. The owner/ownership group would have to be willing to take massive loses after about the 3rd season or the roster would have to be filled with AHL'ers with our 1st line rivaling other teams' 3rd line. Sure, we'd eventually draft a Selanne again, but only until we have to give him something more than 2 million a season.

Sorry , but is the type of warped thinking that is ruining the NHL. Let's see hockey may not be doing well in Atlanta, Nashville , Florida and Phoenix so lets move a team to Las Vegas or Kansas City........ :blink: ........The NBA has nothing to do with hockey, because the NBA is slowing in its draw how does that mean that the NHL will feed off of that. The NHL is becoming a joke in my opinion. There have been some successes but alot of failures along the way. How can one keep ignoring sound hockey markets such as Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford.

Isn't it funny how hard the NHL and Bettman work so hard to keep a team in a failing market but refuse to let a team go to a city that can sell out its season tickets in less than 24 hours.....crazy...BUT HEY, Kansas City had 3,000 for an exhibition game so they should for sure get the next team after all they do have a shiny new arena and in todays NHL thats all that matters.

I must say you swayed my opion. I did not think going back to Winnipeg was a good ideal. But what you said made me think and you are right. Just because they had failed there in the past doesn't mean they don't have a hockey market.

(But on a ugly note I sure don't want to go through another battle of Quebec, my heart could not take it :D )

I would love to see a return of the jets. Atlanta is having serious problems, drawing crowds, on ice issues, and major ownership problems. even though they've had 5 or 6 lottery pics, they are still floundering. Not because Waddell is a bad GM, but because ownership (Spirit of Atlanta group) had decided to spend their cash on the Hawks instead as they drew better.

As for Winnipeg. They may not have a giant population base, but they draw from all of Manitoba and parts of western Ontario (about 1.2 million) and they are very ardent hockey fans.

Here is a great website that breaksdown the cost and corporate support for an NHL franchise and what is in place now for the AHL Moose

http://www.jetsowner.com/howmuch.htm

And I truly feel that if an NHL team were to return to Winnipeg, they would be able to expand the MTS centre using gov't cash as the province has already made mention in Legislature that they are willing to help financially.

a 3000 seat expansion to the current downtown rink is very easily done in a summer and Jets fans would return. With the current CBA, they may be able to compete on and off the ice.

good luck Jets fans!

I must say you swayed my opion. I did not think going back to Winnipeg was a good ideal. But what you said made me think and you are right. Just because they had failed there in the past doesn't mean they don't have a hockey market.

(But on a ugly note I sure don't want to go through another battle of Quebec, my heart could not take it :D )

They failed at a different time and a different NHL. I may not be the best in explaining this, I also don't have the all facts and figures. I am just speaking from my heart. I also want to take a look at this from a non-fan who tunes in to see a half empty arena in Atlanta or Nashville or in Phoenix. Who reads the sports pages in the US about another possible team folding in the NHL. I know what non-fans think here in the states...they think the NHL is a joke. So, yes I speak from my heart and not so much about the business side of it. Yes, the NHL should not be in those areas...they should solidify the markets they have...move those failing markets into proven NHL markets and work on what they have.

I live in Winnipeg and I don't think it makes much sense to move a team here but whatever lol, desperate times...

Winnipeg cannot support an NHL team in the current NHL.

• The arena, though nice, is about 2000 seats too small.
  • Winnipeg does not have enough people (not even 800,000)
  • Beyond not having enough people, these people are cheap. This is not a bad thing: it means we are not going to pay hundreds of dollars to take the family to an NHL game more than once a year, if at all.
  • The arena does not have enough boxes
  • The city does not have enough corporations willing or able to support a team.

It comes down to this: Winnipeg loves hockey, but only at the right price. A price the NHL will never be able to offer us. The league will have to collapse and restructure for this city to ever have anything more than the AHL.

There is another way we could get a team, but it would never happen. The owner/ownership group would have to be willing to take massive loses after about the 3rd season or the roster would have to be filled with AHL'ers with our 1st line rivaling other teams' 3rd line. Sure, we'd eventually draft a Selanne again, but only until we have to give him something more than 2 million a season.

I'll give you two good reasons why Winnipeg deserves a team. If they sell out their 15,000 seat arena, that is 2000 fans more than you will see in Colorado this year per game, as Colorado is in the wrong division (they should be in SW with the California teams, and, ugh, Phoenix?)...If you can get two lame ducks to move west (Atl to Wpg and NYI to God knows where) you can move Detroit and Columbus into the Eastern Conference where they belong, because if there is an economic downturn, the brunt of it is being felt in the Steel belt, including Detroit...Detroit will be screaming for realignment, mark my words.

Winnipeg also has passionate fans, cheap or not, they brought the whiteout to hockey, the Winnipeg arena was one of the loudest rinks in the league...

As for corporate sponsors, it was Molsons who got Winnipeg in the NHL in the first place (through Ferguson-Serge Savard connections), no reason to believe that they could not do it again, since they are now a player in the league. Maybe Winnipeg gets a brewery back, subsequently.

Winnipeg has a great tradition with hockey, I think that if Ken Thomson and Chipman want to put their money down, now is the time, to get a good investment.

I'll give you two good reasons why Winnipeg deserves a team. If they sell out their 15,000 seat arena, that is 2000 fans more than you will see in Colorado this year per game, as Colorado is in the wrong division (they should be in SW with the California teams, and, ugh, Phoenix?)...If you can get two lame ducks to move west (Atl to Wpg and NYI to God knows where) you can move Detroit and Columbus into the Eastern Conference where they belong, because if there is an economic downturn, the brunt of it is being felt in the Steel belt, including Detroit...Detroit will be screaming for realignment, mark my words.

Winnipeg also has passionate fans, cheap or not, they brought the whiteout to hockey, the Winnipeg arena was one of the loudest rinks in the league...

As for corporate sponsors, it was Molsons who got Winnipeg in the NHL in the first place (through Ferguson-Serge Savard connections), no reason to believe that they could not do it again, since they are now a player in the league. Maybe Winnipeg gets a brewery back, subsequently.

Winnipeg has a great tradition with hockey, I think that if Ken Thomson and Chipman want to put their money down, now is the time, to get a good investment.

Living in Winnipeg I just don't see how it will work. They definitely won't have the TV dollars teams like Colorado get, despite the attendance. In fact, I can't think of what network they'd even be on. Maybe Sportsnet West but they already show Flames AND Oilers so I don't know how that would work. There is a definite lack of corporate dollars and a team in Winnipeg will heavily rely on the Canadian dollar being somewhere near par. Sure, when things are going perfectly things will work but if things do take a turn for the worse it would be ugly again. There may not be many other options for the NHL though.

Archived