• Cat
    • Fish
    • Other (Plese Specify)
    • None

• Moderators/Modérateurs
  • 27,657 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sounds like a cool cat Habby!

My household has always been animal friendly. Unfortunately, with the arrival of the baby, we don't have time to take care of the pets like we use to.

Still have 1, 10 year old (needy) cat, his sister was put down last fall (thyroid problems) and 6 rats- 3 males, 3 females.

Love for kaelyn to grow up around animals, but for now, she takes all our time and attention. We're keeping the pet we have, but don't see us getting any more rats once these ones pass away. It's sad since we have 6 generations of rats. Use to raise and breed them for friends who wanted very social rats.

Btw, rats make excellent pets. They are very friendly and social, they get excitted to see us and to spend time with us. They even come up (when we have them out running) to us and nudge our hands to get scratches and pets. Best way to describe a pet rat, they're like little excited, affectionate puppies.

The main downside to having rats as pets, they need a lot of attention (best to have 2 if you can't give them at least an hour a day out of the cage and with you) and their lifespan is about 2 1/2 years, 3 if you're lucky.

My son has rats for pets, and you could not have described it any better. He puts the rats on his shoulder, walks around, and they like it :D

• 2 years later...

Twinkle.jpg

Twinkle

Salem.jpg

Salem

Mittens.jpg

Mittens

We had to have Twinkle put to sleep last Tuesday. She had a tumor the size of a small orange. She was almost 16 years old.

We had to have Mittens put to sleep last night. He was almost 17, and he wasn't doing all that well for quite a while. I've had him since I was 7. I'll never love any animal as much as I loved him.

It's been a rough couple of weeks. Hopefully Salem will be okay for a while, because I can't take losing another one.

• 3 months later...

Cats are useless.

Apparently you never heard one talk to you about practicing the piano. They use their claws to capture prey you know. It's a livelihood. I would wait to capture some notes in a row before i go criticize an entire family. By the way my cat preferred Haydn to Mozart.

Apparently you never heard one talk to you about practicing the piano. They use their claws to capture prey you know. It's a livelihood. I would wait to capture some notes in a row before i go criticize an entire family. By the way my cat preferred Haydn to Mozart.

That's because I never took drugs!

Aaaaaand we're keeping him. ^_^

He is a cutie. :)

We rescued 8 kittens this summer from 2 stray females hanging around. Managed to capture them (adults) and one of the males we think was the father, and had them fixed at our cost. One of the females was pregnant again with 4 more, which of course had to be aborted. We released them (adults) back afterwards as they are too wild to be adopted.

Gotta love responsible pet owners that just dump their cats when they get tired of them. :mad: Happy to report the adults still hang around and both ourselves and some of the neighbors are helping out with feedings.

He is a cutie. :)

We rescued 8 kittens this summer from 2 stray females hanging around. Managed to capture them (adults) and one of the males we think was the father, and had them fixed at our cost. One of the females was pregnant again with 4 more, which of course had to be aborted. We released them (adults) back afterwards as they are too wild to be adopted.

Gotta love responsible pet owners that just dump their cats when they get tired of them. :mad: Happy to report the adults still hang around and both ourselves and some of the neighbors are helping out with feedings.

Wow, that totally sounds like my neighbourhood. We have a ridiculous amount of stray cats running around. Just this past weekend, we had some women come with traps (humane ones, of course). Most of them have been caught, fixed, and some have been released again. Some of them were pregnant and the babies had to be aborted, like with yours. My neighbour and myself feed them, so they're well taken care of (especially at my neighbours place, she spoils those cats silly). My favourite stray was back in my backyard again today, which made me really happy. :P And I got a new kitty out of all of it, so it's not so bad. ^_^

• 9 months later...