The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eklund: Habs Are Preparing To Throw The Bank At Ilya

Habcup

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=23552

Ilya Kovalchuk>

This strong start definitely makes the chances of Ilya re-signing stronger than ever before. Ilya loves Atlanta and I have been told countless times that "he is not Hossa" and if he feels the team is moving towards becoming competitive he will sign long term. I am told that there is very serious talk in Montreal that the Habs are preparing to throw the bank at Ilya if they can. One source has always iterated to me that not taking on Lecavalier's salary may have had more to do with the possibility of Kovalchuk. Not certain, but that sentiment is out there in the hockey insider universe.

I did not know we had cap space to absorb a $7.5MM hit (approx) ????

Ilya Kovalchuk>

This strong start definitely makes the chances of Ilya re-signing stronger than ever before. Ilya loves Atlanta and I have been told countless times that "he is not Hossa" and if he feels the team is moving towards becoming competitive he will sign long term. I am told that there is very serious talk in Montreal that the Habs are preparing to throw the bank at Ilya if they can. One source has always iterated to me that not taking on Lecavalier's salary may have had more to do with the possibility of Kovalchuk. Not certain, but that sentiment is out there in the hockey insider universe.

lol we dont...thats how you know this is false...

lol we dont...thats how you know this is false...

Well take into account that Hamrlik's salary is 5.5 mil, if we could trade Hamrlik for picks and than work a couple small deals, this would be plausible. Re-signing him would only be an extra million more probabley so i dont think MTL would have too hard of a time.

Let's say we would have to trade for him, now that would be a bigger problem as im sure there are other teams with the cap space and better assets to send to ATL than what MTL would be willing to give. So lets just hope it goes to free agency instead so that way we have a fighting chance.

By next season, if he were to come over to us, it's basically Hamerlik and Pleks salary. Who you'll get to centre the 2nd line is anyones guess, but it is doable to fit 7.5 - 8 mil under the cap for a long term deal.

We still need to resign Price. I think we have 13 players signed next year for 45 million, we could obviously waive Hamrlik but I just don't see the intelligence behind another large contract upfront.

L.

O.

L.

Don't get me wrong... Kovalchuk is one of the best players in the league, and he would be a phenomenal addition to this team...

But it's not happening! :(

After a bad loss, you know the trade rumours always start heating up big time. So far today I have heard Brad Boyes, Kovalchuk and of course the ubiquitous Cam Barker rumours. The only one I think might be legit is Barker...

Well if he was interested in signing here I would try to remove the salaries of Hamrlik,The Kostitsyn bros,and Gill or Mara and there you have it you have enough money for Kovalchuk plus something else.

Until then even if we are going to be a top 8 team I would play Weber and Subban as much as possible with the big club so they are ready to log serious minutes by next year.Then of course Obyrne will be reay as soon as he comes back from injury.

They could have a team like this.

Kovalchuk-Camalerri-Plekanec

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Latendresse-Lapierre-Moen

Pyatt-Chipchura-Stewart

Laraque

Markov-Spacek

Subban-Mara or Gill(whoever they don't get rid of)

Obyrne-Gorges

Weber

Price

Halak or ??

After a bad loss, you know the trade rumours always start heating up big time. So far today I have heard Brad Boyes, Kovalchuk and of course the ubiquitous Cam Barker rumours. The only one I think might be legit is Barker...

Well let's just speculate that the Kovalchuk rumour came from a good source. :P

So if ATL does not trade him thinking they might sign him themselves and yet it goes to free agency, whose to say he won't sign here? When i first read the rumour i figured that "throwing the bank" at Ilya meant if he becomes a free agent the habs will pay top dollar to get him. i dont think "throwing the bank" means trading assets. So i assumed it meant $$$$.

Well let's just speculate that the Kovalchuk rumour came from a good source. :P

So if ATL does not trade him thinking they might sign him themselves and yet it goes to free agency, whose to say he won't sign here? When i first read the rumour i figured that "throwing the bank" at Ilya meant if he becomes a free agent the habs will pay top dollar to get him. i dont think "throwing the bank" means trading assets. So i assumed it meant $$$$.

No it doesn't mean trading assets but we will have to get rid of a few assets to clear enough cap space to sign him.IMO it's worth it for a top level player like him.

Ilya Kovalchuk>

... 7.5M... yeah this is fake, why would we break our team down just to get 1 player, we got gomez, who holds one of the biggest contracts in the NHL, i don't think we can handle Kovalchuk

the bruins are the front runners for this guy ,acording to tsn they have 4 1st round picks and some good young talent

And how do the Bruins squeeze $7.5M under the cap? Didn't they just let Kessel go because of cap problems?

And how do the Bruins squeeze $7.5M under the cap? Didn't they just let Kessel go because of cap problems?

It's easy. The make a trade offer for him at the end of the season, before the deadline. Then you only have to worry about a small percentage of the cap problem. Next year he goes UFA and Boston has a real solid chance at winning the Cup with him in the lineup for the post-season. Ta-da! :o

It's easy. The make a trade offer for him at the end of the season, before the deadline. Then you only have to worry about a small percentage of the cap problem. Next year he goes UFA and Boston has a real solid chance at winning the Cup with him in the lineup for the post-season. Ta-da! :o

Fair enough, as a rental player they have a fat chance of landing him. I don't see him staying in Beantown without Boston having to trade at least two regular players away though.

Unfortunately, there's no chance on Earth he'll end up playing for the Habs. We've got to resign Price and Plekanec and therefore cannot afford taking on another $7-8M in salary.

If he cares about winning then he doesn't have much of a reason to pick Montreal over Atlanta. We're comparable this year and they have a superior farm system and youth corps. We have absolutely nobody comparable to Bogosian and Kane.

If he cares about money then he'd probably rather pay ~40% income tax than ~50% income tax.

I can't see him picking Montreal over Atlanta.

If he cares about winning then he doesn't have much of a reason to pick Montreal over Atlanta. We're comparable this year and they have a superior farm system and youth corps. We have absolutely nobody comparable to Bogosian and Kane.

If he cares about money then he'd probably rather pay ~40% income tax than ~50% income tax.

Get outta here with your reality. We like to dream!

[/quote

If he has a dream to play for the greatest organization in sports history he will sign here.Don't give me we can't win because no one has seen this team play enough yet.Maybe he wants to hoist a cup with the greatest sports team ever.

L.

O.

L.

Don't get me wrong... Kovalchuk is one of the best players in the league, and he would be a phenomenal addition to this team...

But it's not happening! :(

I second that. Love to see it happen, but not counting on it.

Hockey "insiders" always throw around big names and Montreal in hopes of attracting readers. My gut feeling is that this is just another 'slow day at the office' story.

If he has a dream to play for the greatest organization in sports history he will sign here.Don't give me we can't win because no one has seen this team play enough yet.Maybe he wants to hoist a cup with the greatest sports team ever.

Your love of your team is showing :) However, if you're in Toronto, Or Boston, Or Ottawa, Or Detroit... Their fans make the same statements and feel the same way about their team. What their fans DON'T do is make an issue over language or call for the headsman's block after every poor showing.

We can't afford the 10 million a year he wants, plus he just does not play well at the bell center. everyone is upset about Gomez at 7.5 ml imagne 10 mil for Ilya? and it would have to be for 10 years at least. We haave a better chance of getting some of the rockets DNA and cloning him, wait for 19 years then put him on the team.

Archived