The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Possible Return Of The Nordiques??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294409

Is this the possible new home for the Yotes or Atlanta or the Islanders or the,,,,,,,you get the message :lol:

Got to get an arena built. But one governor was saying anonymously in the Winnipeg Sun that up to 10 teams are on the block. Be prepared to get arguments about the need for southern US teams even though they are bleeding dollars. There wasn't a rivalry between the Nords and the Habs, there was a WAR!

Got to get an arena built. But one governor was saying anonymously in the Winnipeg Sun that up to 10 teams are on the block. Be prepared to get arguments about the need for southern US teams even though they are bleeding dollars. There wasn't a rivalry between the Nords and the Habs, there was a WAR!

Oh my god

The War will begin again if this happens

To all the young Habs fans that didn't get a chance to witness this War the first time

BEWARE......this is not for the weak at heart

Its obvious that the southern state experiment is an undeniable failure. Atlanta should have never gotten a 2nd chance, Phoenix and Nashville were just bad ideas by a commissioner that doesn't have a clue.

As much as I hated the Nords it would be nice to see Quebec get another shot at an NHL team.

Ofcourse anyone who reads my posts knows where I stand on this matter.....

My God, how cool would it be to see the battle of Quebec again or the battle between Boston and Hartford. Those were great games, exciting games something the NHL is lacking right now thats for sure. Maybe just maybe the NHL will realize the mistakes that were made and return clubs back to Hartford , Quebec and Winnipeg

Anyone who can't remember the great war between Montreal and Quebec....

As much as I hated the Nords it would be nice to see Quebec get another shot at an NHL team.

I would love that...oh what memories I have of this rivalry

As much as i hated the Nords ( almost as much as the Leafs) i have to admit,,,,those games were all awesome. Was like watching game 7 of the finals every match.

:lol: Oh god...for sure.

Excellent news. Bring back the 'Battle of Quebec'

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That was some good old school hockey.

I wonder if that happened today what would happen to the players.

Sent to prison??? :lol:

I'm olded school....bring it onnnnnnnnnnnnnn. :P

Ofcourse anyone who reads my posts knows where I stand on this matter.....

My God, how cool would it be to see the battle of Quebec again or the battle between Boston and Hartford. Those were great games, exciting games something the NHL is lacking right now thats for sure. Maybe just maybe the NHL will realize the mistakes that were made and return clubs back to Hartford , Quebec and Winnipeg

Anyone who can't remember the great war between Montreal and Quebec....

oh man, i still have nightmares hearing the Brass Bonanza and DINEEN always potting OT goals. Man I miss that old Adams division. What I wouldn't do to have Hartford, Quebec, Boston, Habs, and the Sabres in a divison all again. Mind you I could see the Sens joining in and the Sabres going elsewhere. which would till be fine by me.

Ahhhhhhh, yes the old Bruins /Hartford brawls......

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPRvdbN175o

Ofcourse the whalers and nordiques had a long history dating back to the WHA and they also had a heated rivalry in the NHL. I can remember the great toilet paper game. That was incredible!! The Quebec fans were so angry, that rolls of toilet paper stolen from all the restrooms were being thrown on the ice....I can't find video of that so if anyone can find it , that would be great.

Its not so much the fighting I miss from those games. I miss the fierce rivalry that was part of those games. Again, like I said something that is so absent from todays games. Sure there will always be the Boston/Montreal or NYR/ NYI but there was something about a Montreal vs Quebec game that made that forum electric or a Hartford vs Boston game with that almost blew the roof off the Hartford civic center ( no pun intended).

The NHL needs that back again

some clips..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkh0uJAwhwg

The bottom line is this....hockey belongs in Quebec. I can't think of any other city that should have a team other than Quebec as of right now. If they can get a new arena which seems to be the deal breaker in every other city then they should have their Nordiques once again.... :D

In order for Quebec to relocate a franchise. Despite some suggestion on the hotstove on HNIC there won't be expansion anytime soon. There needs to be:

1) a new arena

2) an ownership group (expect the province to supply either a loan or an investment)

3) corporate sponsors

4) season ticket preorders

5) and of course a franchise up for sale

It would be great to see a seventh franchise in Canada. There were 7 before Gary the Weasel and there should be 7 again. The Nords were just turning the corner when they were shipped to Denver. The fans in Quebec should have seen lord Stanley's cup raised high in the Colisee.

I am surprised that the usual negative nellys haven't come on the thread. Some believe that having a franchise bleeding money in Phoenix is better than having a franchise in hockey's heartland. They will site the need for that big US TV deal and discount the fact that the NHL is largely a gate driven league. They somehow expect that this US TV deal will be lucrative but ignore the fact that Ad revenue across all media is down due to the current economic crisis.

I live in the US and despite what some here say....hockey in the US is on life support. We have no national TV contract. Hockey receives little to no press unless you live in a city that has a team. It is a gate driven sport and always will be. Again, there are some that will demand a further expansion into the south, claiming that new fans need to be made which will then lead into a national TV contract....sorry that will never happen....NEVER.

In my job I come across many people and in many different areas. Along with those people and people I work directly with. I hardly ever come across anyone to discuss hockey with. Even the guys I play ice hockey with in my beer league hardly ever discuss hockey but they will talk baseball and football the whole time.

It is what it is.....hockey was more popular at one time across the US, it really was. During the 80's into the 90's, along with help from the Olympics the NHL was popular and gaining in its popularity. Mistakes were made and here we are. The NHL needs to understand their game, their fans and the markets they decide to place teams. Kansas City is a great example....no real demand from the city's residents for an NHL team, only 3,000 show up for an exhibition game but Bettman will consider them over Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton or Hartford.....why. It makes no sense. You can mention facts and figures all you want. It boils down to gate revenue and that is something KC or Vegas can't produce and in the long run thats what mattters.

I live in the US and despite what some here say....hockey in the US is on life support. We have no national TV contract. Hockey receives little to no press unless you live in a city that has a team. It is a gate driven sport and always will be. Again, there are some that will demand a further expansion into the south, claiming that new fans need to be made which will then lead into a national TV contract....sorry that will never happen....NEVER.

In my job I come across many people and in many different areas. Along with those people and people I work directly with. I hardly ever come across anyone to discuss hockey with. Even the guys I play ice hockey with in my beer league hardly ever discuss hockey but they will talk baseball and football the whole time.

It is what it is.....hockey was more popular at one time across the US, it really was. During the 80's into the 90's, along with help from the Olympics the NHL was popular and gaining in its popularity. Mistakes were made and here we are. The NHL needs to understand their game, their fans and the markets they decide to place teams. Kansas City is a great example....no real demand from the city's residents for an NHL team, only 3,000 show up for an exhibition game but Bettman will consider them over Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton or Hartford.....why. It makes no sense. You can mention facts and figures all you want. It boils down to gate revenue and that is something KC or Vegas can't produce and in the long run thats what mattters.

The biggest mistake was getting on Versus instead of on ESPN. I also believe not showing some of the Canadian teams on the NBC NHL coverage is hurting as well. For some reason, I cannot stand Mike Emrick as an announcer. I liked Gary Thorne of ESPN so much better, and Bill Clement as well. And Pierre McGuire? Don't even get me started on that one.

That being said, hockey is doing well in the US cities of the Original Six, and some of the early expansion teams like Philadelphia. Anyplace where hockey in the US has some tradition and a fanbase, it is doing well. But in those cities in the south and west parts of the US, hockey has never really done well, except for the few years Gretzky was in Los Angeles, and Marcel Dionne before that. Maybe it's time to contract the number of teams or relocate franchises to places where hockey will be better received.

I do not like Betman. I hate most of the rule changes ( i actually like the interference penalties.) NBA guy thinks that US cares about hockey but it does not. I think TV is killing the sport down in the states. the Announcers are terrible and the camera crews seem like they are watching from a bar stool. Even in NY with three teams local the sport is dead

I can't wait for someone to show me how Quebec can financially support a team. They couldn't do it 20 years ago when salaries were much lower than they were today. Whats their metro area, 750k?

Canadians love hockey!!!11

I can't wait for someone to show me how Quebec can financially support a team. They couldn't do it 20 years ago when salaries were much lower than they were today. Whats their metro area, 750k?

Yet American cities with much larger populations can't support their team if you gave the tickets away. Larger populations does not mean success.

Canadians love hockey!!!11

Roy I know you're just kidding, but funny thing I saw a while back is theres more American hockey fans than Canadian fans, shouldn't really surprise most. Its just the percentages that differ. I think in the US its like 2% of the population whereas in Canada its 7-8%.

Yet American cities with much larger populations can't support their team if you gave the tickets away. Larger populations does not mean success.

Like I said, show me how Quebec can do better than other teams. The only team I've been against has been Nashville but asides from them you have to show me how other teams can do better in QC.

Also when you do this, if you compare to a team like Phoenix or Atlanta, you have to include about 8-10 losing seasons or more in a 12 year span. I'd love to see Quebec make money doing that. If the freaking Senators or Oilers miss the playoffs they lose millions, but no Quebec City is going to support a team.

Roy I know you're just kidding, but funny thing I saw a while back is theres more American hockey fans than Canadian fans, shouldn't really surprise most. Its just the percentages that differ. I think in the US its like 2% of the population whereas in Canada its 7-8%.

Like I said, show me how Quebec can do better than other teams. The only team I've been against has been Nashville but asides from them you have to show me how other teams can do better in QC.

Also when you do this, if you compare to a team like Phoenix or Atlanta, you have to include about 8-10 losing seasons or more in a 12 year span. I'd love to see Quebec make money doing that. If the freaking Senators or Oilers miss the playoffs they lose millions, but no Quebec City is going to support a team.

The Nords were putrid for years and people supported that team. Just when they started to get good they got their team robbed from them where's the justice in that? You also have to remember Winnipeg and Quebec City did not have the benefit of "Revenue sharing and a Salary Cap". If they did they would have never left PERIOD. You can't tell me there wouldn't be any support in Quebec city for an NHL team cause it just isn't so.

The Nords were putrid for years and people supported that team. Just when they started to get good they got their team robbed from them where's the justice in that? You also have to remember Winnipeg and Quebec City did not have the benefit of "Revenue sharing and a Salary Cap". If they did they would have never left PERIOD. You can't tell me there wouldn't be any support in Quebec city for an NHL team cause it just isn't so.

They weren't robbed, they simply weren't making money. This salary cap era probably wouldn't be as good as you imply since there's also a high floor, which they may not be able to spend to while making profit and since the cap is so high it would be basically irrelevant for these teams.

And speaking of revenue sharing, yeah I'm sure that's great a sell to the BOG. "Yeah they'll be collecting money from revenue sharing so it won't be as bad... Let's go there!"

Quebec city on the way to a new arena. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294991

The mayor is going ahead with a feasibility study and thinks the price will be 400M. He is looking at the provincial and federal governments to shoulder most of the cost.

From the article " As for the Colisee, it was consistently full even when the cellar-dwelling Nordiques were the laughing stock of the league. But the building lacked luxury suites and other amenities of a modern arena. "

Archived