The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hnic Considers Dropping Leafs As National Game

avsgirl621

I can't see CBC dropping the leafs coverage nationally. Think of the atrocity of dropping "Canada's Team"... :wacko:

They've said this before, when Moore took over there was talk of the Leafs not being the national game going forward.

More HNIC shenanigans, looks like Strachan is out. Won't matter much, as nobody can get a word in edgewise with Milbury around.

Strachan's a moron, but Milbury was also a mistake. Morrison and Lebraun are the only decent guys on Hotstove (if they are still on it)

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toron...86886-sun.html#

I never thought I would see the day. Hope this leads to more Habs games on Saturday night.

{I think this is threadworthy, as it deals with HNIC and potentially the Habs. If not, please move...}

CBC is taking a lot of heat for the schedule on October 17th. They had an all Canadian match up with the Sens vs. Habs but chose NYR @ TO as the national game. Moore had to say something as there have been many phone calls, emails etc. Scott Moore is full of it. He went into full damage control two seasons ago when RDS was out drawing HNIC for the Habs playoff games in a blog he stated "we love the habs we really do". Two seasons later and the Leaf bias at HNIC continues.

What CBC hasn't learned from 2 playoffs ago and from the Sens run to cup finals a few years ago is that selling a Leaf team that isn't making the playoffs instead of showcasing playoff bound teams will kill their playoff ratings. The viewers haven't followed the players or the developing story lines as they have been fed a consistent diet of all Leafs all the time. A lot of people just won't tune in or in the case of Habs fans will choose RDS instead.

More HNIC shenanigans, looks like Strachan is out. Won't matter much, as nobody can get a word in edgewise with Milbury around.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/on-h...article1332002/

Not a fan of Al's but there is suggestion that the firing was due to a backlash from MLSE. Seems the Leafs have some issues with Strachan's new book "Why the Leafs Suck and How They Can Be Fixed" as well as some comments on Burke. If he was fired because he refuses to wave a Leaf Flag then HNIC has no journalistic integrity.

Not a fan of Al's but there is suggestion that the firing was due to a backlash from MLSE. Seems the Leafs have some issues with Strachan's new book "Why the Leafs Suck and How They Can Be Fixed" as well as some comments on Burke. If he was fired because he refuses to wave a Leaf Flag then HNIC has no journalistic integrity.

HAHA, I saw that book in Chapters the other day!! The cover has the leaf fan with the bag over it's head.

You know your franchise is a mess, when the only way you can sell literature about it, is through negative connoation.

I wonder if that counts agaisnt us with that new Québecois Mise-en-echec book...? :unsure:

BTW. RDS 4TW! :lol:

Scott Moore's blog from 2008 "We love Montreal..." http://www.cbc.ca/sports/moore/2008/04/we_..._really_do.html

during the Habs playoff run HNIC was being beaten soundly by RDS.

April 2008:

"An unprecedented average audience of 2.03 million viewers watched RDS’s coverage of Game 7: Boston @ Montreal last night, as the Habs pulled out a 5-0 victory to advance to the Conference Semifinals. Audience levels peaked at 3.08 million viewers at the end of the game. RDS captured 52% market share for the evening.

This is now the most-watched program ever on RDS, beating the previous record set Saturday night (April 19) during Game 6: Montreal @ Boston with 1.88 million viewers."

source: http://www.channelcanada.com/Article2179.html

Personally,,,,,i dont care if they exclusively show Hab games from now on and promise to can Cherry. I don't watch HNIC anymore, and a change in policy on their part will not get me back as a follower. They tortured me for years down here,, force feeding me the Leafs,, and i've sworn never to go back as long as RDS is in business. ;)

What CBC hasn't learned from 2 playoffs ago and from the Sens run to cup finals a few years ago is that selling a Leaf team that isn't making the playoffs instead of showcasing playoff bound teams will kill their playoff ratings. The viewers haven't followed the players or the developing story lines as they have been fed a consistent diet of all Leafs all the time. A lot of people just won't tune in or in the case of Habs fans will choose RDS instead.

Could not agree more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/on-h...article1332002/

The Province newspaper's Tony Gallagher kept the pot stirring today over Strachan's firing at HNIC.

http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id=a59f2...38-83031c24f78d

He has some good points about HNIC and MLSE being intertwined and that the timing of the firing is suspect. Strachan pretty much rips every owner, GM, and executive for the Maple Leafs. 'Punch' Imlach, Harold ballard and Habs legend and former Maple leaf President Ken Dryden all get ripped as do current GM Burke and MLSE management. So perhaps someone at MLSE talked Scott Moore into firing Al.

Strachan may rub people the wrong way ,but he did make the Hot Stove interesting. Without Al, we may be in for boring talks about the NHLPA.

CBC is taking a lot of heat for the schedule on October 17th. They had an all Canadian match up with the Sens vs. Habs but chose NYR @ TO as the national game. Moore had to say something as there have been many phone calls, emails etc. Scott Moore is full of it. He went into full damage control two seasons ago when RDS was out drawing HNIC for the Habs playoff games in a blog he stated "we love the habs we really do". Two seasons later and the Leaf bias at HNIC continues.

That's just it they have none, absolutely no journalistic integrity they're too biased. We all know CBC is a national joke. What I don't like is that they're funded by the tax payers yet don't represent the nation by shoving the craptastic Leafs down everyone's throat.

Strachan may rub people the wrong way ,but he did make the Hot Stove interesting. Without Al, we may be in for boring talks about the NHLPA.

He was about as good a "source" as Eklund. He should have been dropped, although if it was for criticizing the Leafs that is obviously the wrong reason.

He was about as good a "source" as Eklund. He should have been dropped, although if it was for criticizing the Leafs that is obviously the wrong reason.

To call him Eklund is a little harsh. Strachan has been around the game for over 30 years. He has worked as a columnist for the toronto sun, the globe and mail, and the Montreal Gazette. He has written several books and actually is well connected in hockey circles. He has been a contributor on The Score, HNIC, sirius radio, and fox sports.

What exactly has Eklund done?

To call him Eklund is a little harsh. Strachan has been around the game for over 30 years. He has worked as a columnist for the toronto sun, the globe and mail, and the Montreal Gazette. He has written several books and actually is well connected in hockey circles. He has been a contributor on The Score, HNIC, sirius radio, and fox sports.

What exactly has Eklund done?

He was talking about his credibility moreso than his resume. It seemed Strachan exaggerated things or made some things seem bigger than they actually were.

I am a Habs fan in the west and without RDS I would not get to watch the Habs as much! Thank the lord for RDS, I must say that I could not care any less about HNIC, they have gone DOWN HILL in hockey broadcasting IMO.

I must admit though, I pefer Maquire's color over Brunet's so if the game is on TSN then I watch RDS pregame, TSN in game then I PVR Anti-Chambre and watch TSN SportsCentre.

I just can't get over that my tax money goes to funding this joke. Honestly, not showing the all Canadian matchup, grinds my gears. Today, I don't have a problem with the schedule, because it was TOR-VAN and MTL-NYR. But you can't show the Leafs lose to NYR over the habs and sens. It's a farce.

I am a Habs fan in the west and without RDS I would not get to watch the Habs as much! Thank the lord for RDS, I must say that I could not care any less about HNIC, they have gone DOWN HILL in hockey broadcasting IMO.

I must admit though, I pefer Maquire's color over Brunet's so if the game is on TSN then I watch RDS pregame, TSN in game then I PVR Anti-Chambre and watch TSN SportsCentre.

Speaking of TSN. They, unlike CBC took advantage of the poor performing Leafs and immediately grabbed numerous Vancouver, Montreal and even Ottawa games to air. Last year they had twelve exclusive Hab games (outside RDS of course) in comparison to eight Leaf games. TSN has slowly been stealing a significant amount of hockey from CBC. I mean a full 50% of the playoffs last season was aired on TSN including a completely exclusive semi-finals. Now that they have announced TSN2 I will not be at all surprised if HNIC is eventually taken over. They came close in the last bid war, only backing out because CTV was nervous with having to air playoff games during prime time TV. They have TSN2 now to cover that issue.

Suffice to say should that happen. I would be thrilled because I find TSN thoroughly entertaining with their panel joking and whatnot.

Archived