The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Colorado's Budaj Diagnosed With Hini

Kubby31

According to a published report in the Denver Post, Colorado Avalanche backup goaltender Peter Budaj has been diagnosed with swine flu, or the H1N1 virus.

Budaj missed a scheduled start last Friday because of illness.

"We've taken the necessary steps, the necessary precautions, to keep him away from the guys at the right time," coach Joe Sacco told the paper. "Hopefully, he'll be joining us on this trip."

Craig Anderson will make his 12th consecutive start in the Colorado net against the Edmonton Oilers Tuesday night. Tyler Weiman, recalled from Lake Erie last week, will back him up.

Budaj was set to start in goal last Friday against the Hurricanes. But he became ill Thursday afternoon with flu-like symptoms and was scratched.

From the first sign of Budaj's illness last week, the team was concerned it might be swine flu.

"We're always cautious," Sacco said Friday. "With Peter, once he came down with those flu-like symptoms, we did the right thing by keeping him away. ... We'll do whatever we can to make sure our guys stay healthy

My friend had H1N1 and was down and out for about a week and a half.

I can't see this being a season ending thing...it's a flu.

On that note, H1N1 is going to spread through the NHL like crazy, just like the regular flu does.

I had it a few months ago and barely knew I was ill. Basically it was a great free week off work. My girlfriend also had it and was pretty sick for three or four days. Both of my roommates had it and were very, very ill for almost two weeks, to the point where they couldn't easily stand up.

In other words, in can manifest very differently in different people. The most worrisome in the NHL, I would think, would be in cases like mine: no real symptoms, but still contagious. I wouldn't have even thought to get tested if everyone around me hadn't been sick, so I can see the same happening with some player who brings it to the locker room and spreads it around without knowing it.

It's only 3-5 days of discomfort. Nothing to worry about, especially for someone as healthy as a professional athlete.

I work in the health care field.....not to offend you but you may be miss informed my friend.

This virus can be fatal....( and has been)

Awareness is the key here.

Dont underestimate it.

This thing is knocking anyone who gets it firmly on their behinds. The regular flu is hard. This one is a bit more. If hes not out close to 2 weeks, I would be surprised. If for no other reason, the infection factor.

Agreed...

I work in the health care field.....not to offend you but you may be miss informed my friend.

Agreed...

Yes, it's mostly fatal in people who already have health problems. Budaj shouldn't be out longer than a week.

Yes, it's mostly fatal in people who already have health problems. Budaj shouldn't be out longer than a week.

In the news......HEALTHY 13 yr boy from the T.O. area just after recently playing his greatest passion,GAME OF HOCKEY.....collasps at home .....Dies.....from this virus.

VERY SAD....Can occur & happen to anyone of us ...anywhere,anytime..... ;)

As a parent ,taking all preventive measures available in order to reduce risk from my family/friends/co-workers....

Would not even want to think of what this childs parents are going through at this time.....Sad.

Wisdom tooth removal can be fatal as well, yet my dentist seems to recommend it each time I go in!

In a completely healthy adult, as most of these athletes probably are, deaths have been very very rare. What happened to young Evan, while very tragic for him and his family, was a very rare side effect: one infectious disease expert Dr. Neil Rau likened to "being struck by lightning". It still sucks for the players and teams, I doubt it's very pleasant, but I don't think it's particularly dangerous for any of these players.

Dont underestimate it. This thing is knocking anyone who gets it firmly on their behinds. The regular flu is hard. This one is a bit more. If hes not out close to 2 weeks, I would be surprised. If for no other reason, the infection factor.
Doug Weight didn't even miss a week... played the 21st and 28th -- missed both Montreal games and a Caps game... was deemed non-contagious after 5 days... but yeah, he said it knocked him on his butt...

Archived