The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs And Oilers Looking To Trade?

CoachNo1

The Oilers are looking for a goalie maybe. I been searching on the internet and found this

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/279150-...s-and-canadiens

:huh: Sorry, but I didn't see anything in there about a goalie - and from what I understand, they're quite happy with Khabibulin. It would appear that scoring (or lack thereof) is the main problem in Edmonton - whether or not the Kostitsyn brothers would be the solution obviously remains to be seen. But plain and simple, Sergei's not doing us any good down in Hamilton and Andrei hasn't exactly been lighting it up with the Habs. So c'mon Bob, fly out to Alberta and start kicking some tires! :lol:

I posted the following in the "Be a GM thread" yesterday:

"According to NHLSourcesSay twitter: "Looked into the possible Oilers/Habs trade, Oilers scouting Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Chipchura. The Habs like Grebeshkov, Gilbert and Jacques."

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Sergei Kostitsyn...either way, not sure how the Habs' could give up two centers and get back none... "

"According to NHLSourcesSay twitter: "Looked into the possible Oilers/Habs trade, Oilers scouting Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Chipchura. The Habs like Grebeshkov, Gilbert and Jacques."

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Sergei Kostitsyn...either way, not sure how the Habs' could give up two centers and get back none... "

Interesting.

Id definitely be interested in either dman listed (Grebeshkov or Gilbert) but im not sure how much Id give up for Jacques. I mean sure, he's huge, but unproven and last I remember, I think skating was a concern...

No way Id move Plekanec unless we got a top quality centre in return.

This doesn't make much sense from a Habs POV, in my opinion. Although it may not seem like it so much now with two of them out, we already have too many NHL-ready defensemen. Grebeshkov or Gilbert would have been more plausible before we got Bergeron.

The real problem is that both the Habs and Oilers need scoring more than anything else. It wouldn't make sense to give up our only hint of secondary scoring (Pleky/Andrei) for... well, for pretty much anything on the Oilers roster that they'd be willing to part with.

I just posted this in the Price thread also, didn't realize there was a separate thread:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

"A huge trade could be on the way between the Oilers and the Canadiens.

The Hockey Insider reports that the Oilers are looking at Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn and Kyle Chipchura. The Habs are looking at Tom Gilbert, Denis Grebeshkov and J.F. Jacques. But the combination of players -- and whether more of them will be involved -- is unknown. For example, Sergei Kostitsyn has also been the subject of trade rumors after he demanded a trade out of Montreal.

We'll keep you updated."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors#1617

"In Montreal, backup goalie Jaroslav Halak has gotten more ice time than franchise goalie Carey Price, which might mean the latter player will soon be traded.

More and more, it appears management is pushing to see if Halak has what it takes to be a top NHL goalie, and he's definitely shown flashes.

CBC.ca's Elliotte Friedman writes, "Maybe Gainey and Jacques Martin are trying some sort of mind-game to motivate Price, but it doesn't seem as if the goalie's attitude was at all problematic this season. Instead, it appears as if Martin is being given the green light to see what Halak's got."

I just posted this in the Price thread also, didn't realize there was a separate thread:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

"A huge trade could be on the way between the Oilers and the Canadiens.

The Hockey Insider reports that the Oilers are looking at Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn and Kyle Chipchura. The Habs are looking at Tom Gilbert, Denis Grebeshkov and J.F. Jacques. But the combination of players -- and whether more of them will be involved -- is unknown. For example, Sergei Kostitsyn has also been the subject of trade rumors after he demanded a trade out of Montreal.

We'll keep you updated."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors#1617

"In Montreal, backup goalie Jaroslav Halak has gotten more ice time than franchise goalie Carey Price, which might mean the latter player will soon be traded.

More and more, it appears management is pushing to see if Halak has what it takes to be a top NHL goalie, and he's definitely shown flashes.

CBC.ca's Elliotte Friedman writes, "Maybe Gainey and Jacques Martin are trying some sort of mind-game to motivate Price, but it doesn't seem as if the goalie's attitude was at all problematic this season. Instead, it appears as if Martin is being given the green light to see what Halak's got."

Has anyone checed hockeybuzz today?

Eckland is also saying Price might be dealt and it would bring another goalie our way that the fans will love.

This doesn't make much sense from a Habs POV, in my opinion. Although it may not seem like it so much now with two of them out, we already have too many NHL-ready defensemen. Grebeshkov or Gilbert would have been more plausible before we got Bergeron.

The real problem is that both the Habs and Oilers need scoring more than anything else. It wouldn't make sense to give up our only hint of secondary scoring (Pleky/Andrei) for... well, for pretty much anything on the Oilers roster that they'd be willing to part with.

+1

if we trade kosty bros away, the deal has to include some kind of scorer, not the d-man. hammer, spacek, mab, ob, georges, mara and gill are more than enough. markov won't be out forever, too. ales hemsky is the only winger that i would pick from the oilers in return for the kostitsyn brothers.

sk, ak, 1st rounder

for

hemsky and 3rd rounder

That is the craziest ***** ive ever heard.......all of Offence for all Defence??

I am 100% positive Price isn't being traded. If anything Halak is being traded since the Oilers GM was watching some of our games when Halak was playing not Price. I would love to trade Halak for khabibulin if we could afford it lol.

Why would we take on his huge salary? The cap wouldn't allow it unless you dump some other salaries...

I am 100% positive Price isn't being traded. If anything Halak is being traded since the Oilers GM was watching some of our games when Halak was playing not Price. I would love to trade Halak for khabibulin if we could afford it lol.

See, there you go, using Logic again.

Didnt you know that Logic is the Kryptonite of sites like Eklunds??

Archived