The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Molson Cup

TheBlaster_mtl

you do know that the Three Stars of the Game, and therefore the Molson Cup standings, are completely unofficial as far as the NHL is concerned... they could have a monkey pull names out of a hat for all that it matters... it's just something for the fans...

back on Oct 11, 2007, Mats Sundin set the Leafs all-time record for goals and points, so they picked him as ALL three stars of the game...

So, who selects the winners for the Molson Cup? The same bozo who picks the three stars every game?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Carey Price fan...but how does a guy who lost his starter position win an award for most valuable player on the team over Halak, Cammaleri, Plekanec, Gionta, etc? Seems a little suspect, no?

I actually find it kind of ironic. The way the fans forget about the efforts of only a week or two ago. Obviously Price was dominate in a few games. On the other hand who really cares about Molson cup

you do know that the Three Stars of the Game, and therefore the Molson Cup standings, are completely unofficial as far as the NHL is concerned... they could have a monkey pull names out of a hat for all that it matters... it's just something for the fans...

back on Oct 11, 2007, Mats Sundin set the Leafs all-time record for goals and points, so they picked him as ALL three stars of the game...

They should use more Monkeys for NHL rule decisions. I think that would help.

And more hats.

Price won? Sigh, when will this city cease smoking the Price drug? No offense to the kid, I do believe he has a bright future however considering he has been benched the majority of October, it seems suspect that he was awarded the Molson Cup. Of all our players Glen Metropolit deserved it which is surprising in many ways.

That said it isn't a big deal regardless. :P

Price won? Sigh, when will this city cease smoking the Price drug? No offense to the kid, I do believe he has a bright future however considering he has been benched the majority of October, it seems suspect that he was awarded the Molson Cup. Of all our players Glen Metropolit deserved it which is surprising in many ways.

That said it isn't a big deal regardless. :P

Understand the award.. before you criticize the city. You clearly have no idea how it is given out. If you did you would understand. Price played in 7 games was named top two player 3 times. No one playing 14 games accomplished that so he won. It is not for overall play. It is for day to day play. I would say more fair than foolish comments like the one above. How many times was Metro one of the top three players of the game??

This is not team MVP for the month

Halak had 5 wins, why didn't he get it? Or Cammalleri, or Gionta or Metropolit or etc.....

It seems pretty obvious Halak wasn't one of the top three players on the ice often enough same said with Cammy Gointa and Metro it is really a very simple system

i believe 2 first stars and a second i didn't look just from memory

I just looked it up. Assuming it's 5 points for first star, 3 points for second star, and 1 point for third star then the rankings should go like this:

Gionta - 10 points

Cammalleri - 7 points

Price - 6 points

Plekanec - 6 points

I just looked it up. Assuming it's 5 points for first star, 3 points for second star, and 1 point for third star then the rankings should go like this:

Gionta - 10 points

Cammalleri - 7 points

Price - 6 points

Plekanec - 6 points

Price collected 13 points in the Molson Cup standings for October by virtue of two first-star selection (4-3 win Oct. 1st at Toronto and 2-1 win Oct. 3 at Buffalo), and one second-star selection (3-2 loss Oct. 31 at Chicago). He finished ahead of teammate Travis Moen, who earned 8 Molson Cup points last month.

This is off the website

So, who selects the winners for the Molson Cup? The same bozo who picks the three stars every game?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Carey Price fan...but how does a guy who lost his starter position win an award for most valuable player on the team over Halak, Cammaleri, Plekanec, Gionta, etc? Seems a little suspect, no?

Pretty silly. I wonder how Carey Price felt winning it. ha ha pretty ironic. Speach - Speach!!

Price will be presented with the Molson Cup during a pre-game ceremony prior to tonight’s game against the Atlanta Thrashers at the Bell Centre.

I wonder what the fan reaction will be.

Price collected 13 points in the Molson Cup standings for October by virtue of two first-star selection (4-3 win Oct. 1st at Toronto and 2-1 win Oct. 3 at Buffalo), and one second-star selection (3-2 loss Oct. 31 at Chicago). He finished ahead of teammate Travis Moen, who earned 8 Molson Cup points last month.

This is off the website

Well, they're wrong because Price was only the first star against Buffalo, third star against Toronto, and wasn't even picked for a star against Chicago.

Montreal vs Toronto

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009020002

Montreal vs Chicago

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009020176

What?

Molson cup is for stars of the Canadiens they have there own system. Say play pens in igloo

price first star

sid second

malkin third

two other canadiens would get points for second and third on habs

they are not counting other players only top three habs

Molson cup is for stars of the Canadiens they have there own system. Say play pens in igloo

price first star

sid second

malkin third

two other canadiens would get points for second and third on habs

they are not counting other players only top three habs

And are these stars kept secret?

last year they had them posted on habs site. I guess that it is so irrelevant that they stopped posting it. I actually searched like 20 different ways and could not find how it was game by game

do i get an a for effort

lol Yeah, I was searching for it too but found nothing which is why I figured it goes by official NHL stars.

Archived