The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What Is Happening?

Is it me or is this a horrible year for injuries? I have never seen so many injuries, yet alone to the star players of the NHL. Does this signify that changes are needed to insure player safety? I mean really, I want to see players like Ovechkin play. Not some career minor leaguer called up to fill in the holes. What do you guys think?

NHL Player Injuries:

Significant injuries as of Sunday November 8th:

1. Ilya Kovalchuk:

2. Milan Lucic:

3. Marc Savard:

4. Eric Staal:

5. Cam Ward:

6. Marian Hossa:

7. Jonathan Toews:

9. J-M Liles:

11. Frederik Modin:

12. Kristian Huselius:

13. James Neal:

14. Johan Franzen:

15. Valterri Filppula:

16. Jason Williams:

17. Sheldon Souray:

18. Ales Hemsky:

19. Shawn Horcoff:

20. David Booth:

21. PM Bouchard:

22. Petr Sykora:

23. Kim Johnsson:

24. Andrei Markov:

25. Hal Gill:

26. Shea Weber:

27. J.P. Dumont:

28. Jay Pandolfo:

29. Paul Martin:

30. Johnny Oduya:

31. Rick DiPietro:

32. Radek Martinek:

33. Doug Weight:

34. Chris Drury:

35. Henrik Lundqvist:

36. Brandon Dubinsky:

37: Simon Gagne:

38. Daniel Briere:

39. James Van Riemsdyk:

40. Ed Jovanovski:

41. Zybnek Michalek:

42. Maxime Talbot:

43. Sergei Gonchar:

44. Evgeni Malkin:

45. Rob Blake:

46. Devin Setoguchi:

47. Andy McDonald:

48. Victor Hedman:

49. Mike Komisarek:

50. Pavel Demitra:

51. Roberto Luongo:

52. Daniel Sedin:

53. Alex Ovechkin:

54. Mike Green:

I mean really, that is ridiculous! You can make two all-star teams with these injured players.

It is alot of injuries but I think most of those injuries are part of the game and I don't think the NHL can do alot to prevent them.

And IMO, if the NHL started to make changes just because more star players are getting injured, it's disrespect to the other players who aren't stars and get injured.

It is alot of injuries but I think most of those injuries are part of the game and I don't think the NHL can do alot to prevent them.

And IMO, if the NHL started to make changes just because more star players are getting injured, it's disrespect to the other players who aren't stars and get injured.

I remember the suppliers coming out with a softer pad. In the old days you had cotton and leather. Rough and heavy but not lethal. These days the pads are more like armor used hit rather than protect. They can make a soft pad that absorbs the hit rather than be used as weapon. I would like to see them try it in ahl or some other minor league. The skaters are too big and strong these days. I love to see a great hard hit . I don't want that to to away, but I don't want to be watching ahl games all year either.

Is it me or is this a horrible year for injuries? I have never seen so many injuries, yet alone to the star players of the NHL. Does this signify that changes are needed to insure player safety? I mean really, I want to see players like Ovechkin play. Not some career minor leaguer called up to fill in the holes. What do you guys think?

NHL Player Injuries:

49. Mike Komisarek:

I mean really, that is ridiculous! You can make two all-star teams with these injured players.

So when did he get hurt??? :huh:

I remember the suppliers coming out with a softer pad. In the old days you had cotton and leather. Rough and heavy but not lethal. These days the pads are more like armor used hit rather than protect. They can make a soft pad that absorbs the hit rather than be used as weapon. I would like to see them try it in ahl or some other minor league. The skaters are too big and strong these days. I love to see a great hard hit . I don't want that to to away, but I don't want to be watching ahl games all year either.

I would like to see that too actually

NHL Player Injuries:

1. Ilya Kovalchuk:

2. Milan Lucic:

3. Marc Savard:

4. Eric Staal:

5. Cam Ward:

6. Marian Hossa:

7. Jonathan Toews:

9. J-M Liles:

11. Frederik Modin:

12. Kristian Huselius:

13. James Neal:

14. Johan Franzen:

15. Valterri Filppula:

16. Jason Williams:

17. Sheldon Souray:

18. Ales Hemsky:

19. Shawn Horcoff:

20. David Booth:

21. PM Bouchard:

22. Petr Sykora:

23. Kim Johnsson:

24. Andrei Markov:

25. Hal Gill:

26. Shea Weber:

27. J.P. Dumont:

28. Jay Pandolfo:

29. Paul Martin:

30. Johnny Oduya:

31. Rick DiPietro:

32. Radek Martinek:

33. Doug Weight:

34. Chris Drury:

35. Henrik Lundqvist:

36. Brandon Dubinsky:

38. Daniel Briere:

39. James Van Riemsdyk:

40. Ed Jovanovski:

41. Zybnek Michalek:

42. Maxime Talbot:

43. Sergei Gonchar:

44. Evgeni Malkin:

45. Rob Blake: Dropped him a day before he was injured...picked up Mark Streit :)

46. Devin Setoguchi:

47. Andy McDonald:

48. Victor Hedman:

49. Mike Komisarek:

50. Pavel Demitra:

51. Roberto Luongo:

52. Daniel Sedin:

53. Alex Ovechkin:

54. Mike Green:

Everyone who's in bold is in my hockey pool... <_<

I couldn't agree more, we need to find a way to make pads less lethal.

NHL Player Injuries:

1. Ilya Kovalchuk:

2. Milan Lucic:

3. Marc Savard:

4. Eric Staal:

5. Cam Ward:

6. Marian Hossa:

7. Jonathan Toews:

9. J-M Liles:

11. Frederik Modin:

12. Kristian Huselius:

13. James Neal:

14. Johan Franzen:

15. Valterri Filppula:

16. Jason Williams:

17. Sheldon Souray:

18. Ales Hemsky:

19. Shawn Horcoff:

20. David Booth:

21. PM Bouchard:

22. Petr Sykora:

23. Kim Johnsson:

24. Andrei Markov:

25. Hal Gill:

26. Shea Weber:

27. J.P. Dumont:

28. Jay Pandolfo:

29. Paul Martin:

30. Johnny Oduya:

31. Rick DiPietro:

32. Radek Martinek:

33. Doug Weight:

34. Chris Drury:

35. Henrik Lundqvist:

36. Brandon Dubinsky:

38. Daniel Briere:

39. James Van Riemsdyk:

40. Ed Jovanovski:

41. Zybnek Michalek:

42. Maxime Talbot:

43. Sergei Gonchar:

44. Evgeni Malkin:

45. Rob Blake:

46. Devin Setoguchi:

47. Andy McDonald:

48. Victor Hedman:

49. Mike Komisarek:

50. Pavel Demitra:

51. Roberto Luongo:

52. Daniel Sedin:

53. Alex Ovechkin:

54. Mike Green:

The most amazing thing is that Connolly , Havlat and Gaborik are not even on this list! Yet. :P

I don't really think that most of the injuries could have been prevented. Unless the NHL makes all the players wear body suits made from bubble wrap, injuries will continue to happen. This is just a bad year that doesn't happen to often. But the bright side is a lot are minor injuries that only put players out for several weeks rather than months. I mean Malkin is back, Ovi is back, Lucic is skating, Gonchar is skating etc.... so maybe it was a just a fluke beginning of the season plague that hopefully wont happen again.

Archived