The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pat Burns Fighting Cancer

Kubby31

burns_pat_courtesy_381.jpg Pat Burns poses with his wife Lynne during the NHL Awards in June

Pat Burns,57...former NHL coach and 3-time Jack Adams winner,as most know has been dealing with cancer for his 3rd time since he was 1st diagonosed with colon cancer during the 2004 playoffs.

He beat that,as well as liver cancer.

This time,it is incurable lung cancer,which has taken a noticeable toll on the once-robust former cop.

Pat's voice is weak,not to mention the pounds/weight he has lost.

Pat has decided to forego any futher treatment....In pat's own words,"That's all done.It's wouldn't do much.It's not going to help....it's a question of time."

I feel so-so,it's been a struggle.It's not been getting better....it's progressing,says pat.

I have heard his name mentioned last couple of days on different sportsnews...unforunatly,it does not sound good for pat at this time....

I for one want to send my thoughts and prayers to Pat and his wife & friends/family at this time.

• 2 months later...

As reported by Howard Berger, Pat Burns has refused to undergo a third round of cancer treatments and appears to be approaching his final days.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berg...truggle/3/25894

He coached with a fiery intensity and brought out the best in his players. I've had a lot of respect for Pat since his days as coach of the Habs and this is sad news indeed.

Our thoughts go out to him and his family.

Good luck, Pat.

As reported by Howard Berger, Pat Burns has refused to undergo a third round of cancer treatments and appears to be approaching his final days.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berg...truggle/3/25894

He coached with a fiery intensity and brought out the best in his players. I've had a lot of respect for Pat since his days as coach of the Habs and this is sad news indeed.

Our thoughts go out to him and his family.

Good luck, Pat.

• 1 month later...

That is so sad... I feel for him and his family, cancer is such a nasty disease... It doesn't discriminate and it's such a quick spreading disease. Once you find out you have it, it's often too late.

I like I'm sure many on here, have lost many a family members to cancer. I just hope he doesn't suffer too much and that his family is ready to let him go. The hockey world will lose a great man, one of the best coaches to have never won a cup.

That is so sad... I feel for him and his family, cancer is such a nasty disease... It doesn't discriminate and it's such a quick spreading disease. Once you find out you have it, it's often too late.

I like I'm sure many on here, have lost many a family members to cancer. I just hope he doesn't suffer too much and that his family is ready to let him go. The hockey world will lose a great man, one of the best coaches to have never won a cup.

Agreed...such a sad time for family/friends & all when we /they have to go through something such as this.

He won a cup with Jersey back in 2003.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
I saw the last part of it, & had to look for a while to realize it was Pat Burns. That man has incredible courage! All I can say is "God bless him & his family".

Amen!

I was watching on TV as well and I couldn't believe how worse things went for him. No matter what, forever he'll be by favorite Habs head coach in my lifetime. I grew up watching Pat Burns, his own way to speak his mind through is unique and the charisma he brought in behind a bench every time was always delightful even after he went to other teams.

Archived