The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nhl Gms Propose Rule Change On Head Shots

Kubby31

Unfortunately, collectively they did not propose any rule change from what I've read.

Carolina GM Jim Rutherford took it a step further. He told a media scrum he is confident that after the upcoming meeting in March, GMs will present a formal rule change recommendation regarding hits to the head for the 2010-2011 season. He wasn't ready to identify how much of a change, but he strongly suggested players who are blindsided or not able to anticipate a check will be better protected by the proposed new rule.

For example..the hit on booth by richards...next season...a blind hit like that will be assesed a penalty....may even be underview for suspension.

• 1 month later...

Full speed ahead for headshot rule

By CHRIS STEVENSON, QMI Agency

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – With the momentum of a speeding forechecker, it seems a rule change penalizing checking to the head is steaming ahead for the NHL.

Concussions and headshots were discussed at length at the two-day NHL’s board of governors meetings that wrapped up today. Videos were shown of blindside hits and shots from the side to bring the governors up to speed on what was discussed at the general managers’ meetings last month.

“To hit a player who can’t anticipate or can’t avoid (the hit), it’s not a safe hit. I think we have to take it out,” said Toronto Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke. “To me, there has to be a shift where, when a player gets in that position to hit a player and that player is vulnerable and unsuspecting – it’s like the stop sign on the back of the jerseys with youth hockey in Canada – at that point you have to pull up. Or hit him, but don’t get him in the head.”

Burke pointed to the hit from the side by Philadelphia Flyer Mike Richards on Florida Panther David Booth, which saw the latter sustain a concussion. Booth never saw Richards coming.

“The hit on Booth, the player that drilled him could have still drilled him but he didn’t have to get him in the head,” Burke said.

It’s likely the GMs will draft a rule at their meetings in Florida in March for the competition committee and board of governors to consider.

“It’s a high-priority item in those meetings and the league has done a lot of research on it. There have been committees put in place to acquire information. When we get the data we can at least put rules in place based on data and not assuming things. I think you’ll see something coming out of the (GMs’) meetings in Florida,” said San Jose Sharks general manager Doug Wilson. “There has been enough discussion by a lot of people. These discussions have been going on for a couple of years. We’re wise not to have a knee-jerk reaction. The reality we’re dealing with now is the game is played at a different speed, a different pace.

“It’s much faster than when I played.”

- 30 -

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2009/...181391-qmi.html

Former player found with brain damage due to head trauma....

NEW YORK -- Former NHL player Reggie Fleming, who died in July, had brain damage due to repeated head trauma, linking hockey for the first time to a condition usually found in boxers, the New York Times reported Friday.Fleming, who spent 12 seasons in the NHL, was found by Boston University researchers to have had Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, a disease that causes cognitive decline, behavioural abnormalities and ultimately dementia, the Times said. Fleming is the first hockey player known to have been tested for the disease, which was also found in several former NFL players recently.

"Boxing we've known for a long time, football we've recently become aware of -- now hockey," Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist at Boston University who also diagnosed CTE in the former football players, told the newspaper. "Repetitive head injuries can have very serious long-term consequences, regardless of how you get them."

Deputy NHL commissioner Bill Daly told the Times the league would have no comment until it had a chance to review the report.

Fleming, who died at age 73, had 108 goals, 132 assists and 1,468 penalty minutes in 749 career games with the Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers and Buffalo Sabres. He helped the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 1961 and also spent two seasons World Hockey Association's Chicago Cougars.

Ultimately, perhaps, the final word on workplace safety, specifically head injuries, won’t belong to commentators or even the NHL. TSN’s Bob McKenzie said during the Friday night show, "Whether the NHL likes it or not, it’s going to be dragged kicking and screaming into an era of legislation because this is becoming an athletic pandemic.

"What’s going to happen with (U.S.) Congress being involved, medical authorities being involved, it’s going to go beyond the game of hockey. It’s going to become societal, and, when that happens, people in hockey are going to lose a little control about how the rules are governed. It’s going to become illegal. Within five years, you are not going to be allowed to hit anybody in the head."

http://www.truthandrumours.net/2009/12/20/...ture-of-hockey/

• 1 month later...

With the recent Patrice Comier hit.....

Once again.....all NHL GM's along with Bettman will dicuss this issue {hits to the head} at the upcoming March meeting.....apparently,the DVD that all teams received on this topic...used as a deterant is not working.

The goal....to get the message clearly to the players that heads shots have no place in the game.....without taking away the physical aspect part of the game.

Maybe....just maybe....Bettman needs to take a hard long look at how the CHL for one,hands out disaplineary actions..just a thought. ;)

Maybe the punishment in the NHL...needs to finally be more swift & servere,instead of a slap on the wrist.....pay a fine & miss a few games is just not the answer.

Exactly and why is the league dragging its collective feet when this is a no brainer? Just look at the Lindros brothers, Pat Lafontaine and many many other examples what a concussion can do to a player's career.

Exactly and why is the league dragging its collective feet when this is a no brainer? Just look at the Lindros brothers, Pat Lafontaine and many many other examples what a concussion can do to a player's career.

I agree.....it's time the league wakes up.....someone is gonna get killed.....seriously,is this what it will take to open some eyes? :angry:;)

Enough is enough.....they can eliminate this problem......severe consequences must be undertaken.....and NOW.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if there's a more recent thread than this one, but I've got to say that I hope the GMs actually do something about this issue at their upcoming meetings.

I want to see Boston lose as much as any Habs faithful, but it's frustrating as a fan to watch some of the game's best players taken out of the game like Savard was after that hit from Cooke. And that's not even mentioning how sickening it is just to watch someone intentionally try to seriously injure another human being over a sports match. If that happens anywhere else in the country it's aggravated assault, but because it's on a hockey rink it's.... well I'd say it's a penalty, but there wasn't even one called!

Demers was probably right last night when he said Cooke will probably get a small suspension for the hit, but he was also right when he said it's not much different from the Richards hit earlier in the year that went completely unpunished by the league. They need to have rules, strong rules, regarding what kind of suspension people receive for doing this sort of hit, and they need to be written down so that they're enforced equally for both the Matt Cookes and Mike Richards of the world.

This sort of thing has no place in hockey, in my opinion. It's not a 'hockey play' any more than was Corey Perry's punch to Markov's face after the tying goal last night. I really hope that something finally gets done before more people get hurt and more star players are removed from the game.

Sorry if there's a more recent thread than this one, but I've got to say that I hope the GMs actually do something about this issue at their upcoming meetings.

I want to see Boston lose as much as any Habs faithful, but it's frustrating as a fan to watch some of the game's best players taken out of the game like Savard was after that hit from Cooke. And that's not even mentioning how sickening it is just to watch someone intentionally try to seriously injure another human being over a sports match. If that happens anywhere else in the country it's aggravated assault, but because it's on a hockey rink it's.... well I'd say it's a penalty, but there wasn't even one called!

Demers was probably right last night when he said Cooke will probably get a small suspension for the hit, but he was also right when he said it's not much different from the Richards hit earlier in the year that went completely unpunished by the league. They need to have rules, strong rules, regarding what kind of suspension people receive for doing this sort of hit, and they need to be written down so that they're enforced equally for both the Matt Cookes and Mike Richards of the world.

This sort of thing has no place in hockey, in my opinion. It's not a 'hockey play' any more than was Corey Perry's punch to Markov's face after the tying goal last night. I really hope that something finally gets done before more people get hurt and more star players are removed from the game.

I was going to post something here, but all of this is exactly what I would say, so, "well said!". Demers conmments are right on as well. Savard got married at our golf club a few years ago. Really, classy down home guy. I don't like hockey or hitting in hockey that much (and I like both a lot), that I want or need to see players concussed.

This is pretty simple to fix: Rule # ___: Stay away from the head. Done.

My onlt concern with a rule change will be that the GMs will go too far. I think that the hits to the head and neck, especailly near the boards needs to be worked on, but I don't want the refs to need to be too strict. In a game like hockey where body contact is allowed and even expected, hits to the head will happen, like in football. If the GMs go too far, which I fear isn't far at all, the issue with hits to the head are whether or not the "inevitable ones" are a penalty or not. I prefer to think of whether or not there was intent to injure, hurt, or start a fight.

I love hockey but I don't like fighting and I don't like hits to the head, I think any player who hits to the head should automatically be sent from the game, how can they have hits like last nights and not even call a penalty, that was just so bad, they can see all the hits from many different angles, so it should be a six week suspension and a big fine , you just won't see it any more, this is a case where the punishment can be a deterrent,no player wants to be off the ice for that length of time, that isn't sport that is brutality. The punch to Markov last night proves that fighting should be banned that was such a bad punch, all right he was giving him some chat but that had been going on for a while and was giving as good as he got, it just spoilt the game for me, good hockey is a game of skill and speed you didn't see all this in the olympics why in the league, there is no reason for it

GO HABS GO :D :D

The "WILL" to get rid of this type of play is just not there.....

Not with the GM's....the Players ....the "league" of them!!!

If there was will there would be a way!

I don't see how that type of play benefits the league.... how does it make any money....how is it profitable!?

Who wants to see a player get hurt? It hurts the game. They have to find a way to stop it!

Guest habs1952

The NHL has taken far too long to address the issue of hits to the head. But then, what did you expect? It took decades for governments to enact health and safety laws to protect workers from unscrupulous business owners. The NHL is no different than government. The owners rule and until they see their major assets injured they could care less about their replaceable players. But the players need to be blamed also. The players should have been demanding rule changes a long time ago. The players should also show a lot more respect towards each other but I don't ever expect to see respect from most of those million dollar babies.

The NHL has taken far too long to address the issue of hits to the head. But then, what did you expect? It took decades for governments to enact health and safety laws to protect workers from unscrupulous business owners. The NHL is no different than government. The owners rule and until they see their major assets injured they could care less about their replaceable players. But the players need to be blamed also. The players should have been demanding rule changes a long time ago. The players should also show a lot more respect towards each other but I don't ever expect to see respect from most of those million dollar babies.

I think this is terrible (the bolded part, not your post :P) and yet I also think that it's probably true. Maybe we're just being cynical, but I'm willing to bet that Cooke gets a suspension... even though this was pretty much the exact same hit that Richards laid out earlier in the year. Nothing was done then, but maybe now that it's a legitimate star player the GMs will actually be pressed into taking some action.

Lord knows Boston's GM will want to...

I think he should get a long suspension. It was clearly obvious he went for his head. Then lying to the media. "I was just finishing my hit". Total blatant lie. Not even man enough to admit he was an idiot. Guys like Chara should also be called for the hands/fists to the face hits. I don't care if he is big, he shouldn't be muscling other players by wacking them in the face. Almost every hit the guy does is at the head. Guys skate away from him constantly adjusting their helmets, some like Gomez even lose their helmets against him. I think Chara is a pretty low-class player, I've always felt that way. Over rated big time and more a brute than a good defencemen. Rare you ever see Chara do a clean hit. Wouldn't surprise me if the headshot was a collection of disgruntled player mad at having their heads wacked about by people like Chara. Chara gets away with it ALL the time. It's really unbelievable.

Afternote ..... they've already done this with another body part: Rule # not sure which number : Stay away from the knee.

Rocket science, this ain't.

Very, very good point! So good, in fact, that I'm surprised that nobody's brought it up sooner. You should write in to TSN :P.

It can pretty much be used as an arguement against every point those against banning head shots could come up with.

-Taking away head shots will remove the physicality from the game!

Well, taking away knee-on-knee collisions sure didn't. It just removed one specific type of hit that nobody really wants to see anyway.

-What if it the hit is accidental and not malicious, that shouldn't be a penalty! What if the guy puts his head down?

Part of playing hockey is that you need to be in control of your body, especially in relation to other players. If you blow out someone's knee it doesn't matter if you did it by accident, it's still an offense. It's like high-sticking, too: whether you did it on purpose or not, you're still responsible for your stick.

-You can't go around suspending people for incidental head contact! What if it's not serious?

Again, like a knee-on-knee hit, this can still be subjective. Maybe an automatic one-game suspension for a head hit, with the option for more based on whether it was deemed intentional or flagrant, whether it was a repeat offender, whether the guy got injured, etc.

In the case of Cooke/Savard, he should be suspended. It was intentional and no accident, you clearly see him skate up to him and intentionally wack him in the head with his elbow. How Campbell cannot do anything just shows how pathetic the NHL is. Unsportsmanlike misconduct, Roughing whatever you want to call it. There are kids that watch NHL and what message is that delivering to them? That it's alright to skate up to someone and wack them in the noggin? Disgusting. Sure there are accidental and purposely done head hits, it's the NHL discretion to filter out the real from the unintentional. They failed again. They call this Professional Hockey? Right...

Archived