The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sergei Kostitsyn To Oilers For Andrew Cogliano?

billy-piton

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/869687.html

Trade rumors last week had troubled Canadiens forward Sergei Kostitsyn, suiting up these days for AHL Hamilton, going to the Oilers for soft third-liner Andrew Cogliano. Kostitsyn played with Oilers center Sam Gagner in OHL London. Cogliano wouldn't make the Habs any better, but it would relieve their headache with Kostitsyn.

what do you think?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/869687.html

Trade rumors last week had troubled Canadiens forward Sergei Kostitsyn, suiting up these days for AHL Hamilton, going to the Oilers for soft third-liner Andrew Cogliano. Kostitsyn played with Oilers center Sam Gagner in OHL London. Cogliano wouldn't make the Habs any better, but it would relieve their headache with Kostitsyn.

what do you think?

Do it Gainey.Cogliano is a very good young player.Last season people were saying we couldn't even get him for Plekanec.He would a steal for SK.

FWIW

Habs shopping the Kostitsyns, but is anyone buying?

By BRUCE GARRIOCH ( yea I know it's Bruce Garrioch ..........if you don't like the rumor pretend it's coming from a memeber of this site )

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/20...863781-sun.html

The Montreal Canadiens could be set to make a move.

While GM Bob Gainey plays his cards close to his vest, he was surrounded by most of his scouting staff before the club's Friday night game in Washington and the speculation is there is a move coming.

Gainey would like to deal disgruntled forward Sergei Kostitsyn and his brother Andrei and get some scoring help up front in return. As reported last week, the Edmonton Oilers are interested in the brothers.

Sergei played alongside Sam Gagner with the London Knights.

The Habs are coming off a 3-2 victory over the Caps, but it was only their third win in regulation time this season. Gainey cannot be happy with how the club, which will be without injured right winger Brian Gionta (broken foot) for four-to-six weeks, has performed.

"Somebody might want to tell the Habs that the chemistry experiment they've tried this season isn't working," a league source said yesterday.

In Edmonton, GM Steve Tambellini has a mandate to make the playoffs.

Felled by injuries and illness, the Oilers really haven't been healthy all season, but Tambellini has been looking around, which is why the Habs might be a good fit. Teams may look at centre Shawn Horcoff, but he's making $5.5 million US per season and it's doubtful the Oilers would move him.

As for trading for Andrew C .........I'll pass , aren't we small enough.

Have we not figured out that having your best six forward beinmg under 6 feet isn't the best idea

It's hard to compare them statistically because Sergei has played aproximatively 50 games a season, and has less (9) goals, but Cogliano has twice the amount of games (82) and goals (18). On that front they're equal. The only thing I can see differently is that Cogliano is 5"10. And at least Sergei breaks the six foot mark.

Some may argue the "attitude" part, but I have nothing to go on.

I suspect SK will dealt soon. I hope AK isnt dealt with him, as he's come alive the last week & is currently playing very well with Pleks & Cammy.

That said, I dont think Cogliano is what we need. He's shown flashes of brilliance and he's incredibly fast, but while I dont agree with those who say we are too small, I do believe we shouldnt get any smaller.

I'm quoting my self from message #1454 of If I were GM thread, from about 3-4 days ago

We are in serious trouble right now of missing the playoffs. So IF I WERE GM, I'd try and get some secondary scoring and a right handed D-man to play on the PP. There is some wispers of Edmonton scouting the HABS lately.

To Mtl

Cogliano ( to replace Pleks if he won`t resign or is traded later in the season) 1.13mil (RFA at end of season)

Gilbert (a 6`3`` 206 lb 40 point dman who plays physically in his zone with a decent 1st pass) 4mil (until 2014 when he turns 30 yo)

JF Jaques (6`4`` 217lbs local boy, adds another large body to the lineup with some offensive upside) 525K (RFA at end of year)

Linus Omark a LW prospect with great hands and speed (who will compliment Avastin when he arrives in 1-2 years)

To Edm

AK

SK

Chipchura

Carle

3rd rd pick 2010

new lineup (when healthy minus Markov until Feb)

Camm -Gomez - Gionta

Max Pac - Pleks - Cogliano

Lats - Laps - Moen

Pyatt - Metro - Jaques

Hamerlik - Spacek

Gorges - Gilbert

MAB - O`Byrne

Leach

(Leach out on return of Gill, MAB out on Markov Return)

Price

Halak

With AK playing again, we might be able to upgrade a little but the bones of the deal are there that would be beneficial to both teams.

I'm quoting my self from message #1454 of If I were GM thread, from about 3-4 days ago

We are in serious trouble right now of missing the playoffs. So IF I WERE GM, I'd try and get some secondary scoring and a right handed D-man to play on the PP. There is some wispers of Edmonton scouting the HABS lately.

To Mtl

Cogliano ( to replace Pleks if he won`t resign or is traded later in the season) 1.13mil (RFA at end of season)

Gilbert (a 6`3`` 206 lb 40 point dman who plays physically in his zone with a decent 1st pass) 4mil (until 2014 when he turns 30 yo)

JF Jaques (6`4`` 217lbs local boy, adds another large body to the lineup with some offensive upside) 525K (RFA at end of year)

Linus Omark a LW prospect with great hands and speed (who will compliment Avastin when he arrives in 1-2 years)

To Edm

AK

SK

Chipchura

Carle

3rd rd pick 2010

Camm -Gomez - Gionta

Lats - Laps - Moen

Pyatt - Metro - Jaques

Hamerlik - Spacek

Gorges - Gilbert

MAB - O`Byrne

Leach

Price

Halak

With AK playing again, we might be able to upgrade a little but the bones of the deal are there that would be beneficial to both teams.

Mara????

To Mtl

To Edm

AK

SK

Chipchura

Carle

3rd rd pick 2010

Camm -Gomez - Gionta

Lats - Laps - Moen

Pyatt - Metro - Jaques

Hamerlik - Spacek

Gorges - Gilbert

MAB - O`Byrne

Leach

Price

Halak

Looks good

Id prefer someone who will actually be in the lineup over SK,

As martin dislikes him, if he hasnt been called up yet during all of these injures... Hes not going to be called up this season at alll.

Get someone else..

Hey congrats on your 8000 post. :)

as for SK or/and AK trade I don't want us to get any smaller up front.

Id prefer someone who will actually be in the lineup over SK,

As martin dislikes him, if he hasnt been called up yet during all of these injures... Hes not going to be called up this season at alll.

Get someone else..

Especially if the deal is straight up. Cogliano for Sergei K. I would do that and move on from the whole nightmare. I don't watch a lot of Edmonton, but Cogliano looked like a promising forward in his rookie and sophmore year. Someone that would take some time to develop, but could eventually be a 60 point player. Am I right, or wrong?

Gainey would have to be drunk to trade Andrei AND Sergei for Cogliano. Now... Add Penner in and I would consider it. Either way, I'm think Gainey should be trying to cut a number of his RFAs-to-be free. Players like Gui, Maxim, Sergei K., D'Agostini, Carle, Weber, etc. etc. etc. We could use those small dollar amounts to throw at Tomas A.S.A.P. Clearly some of the youngsters are having problems stepping up and playing an important role. Why not look to deal them, save the $500-$900K and give it to the one guy who is having a great rebound year?

To medium.png :

• Andrew Cogliano ($1.200) - RFA in 2010-2011.
  • 6th round draft choice (2010).
  • 7th round draft choice (2010).

To medium.png :

• Sergei Kostitsyn ($0.820) - RFA in 2010-2011.
  • Maxim Lapierre ($0.700) - RFA in 2010-2011.
  • 5th round draft choice (2010).

Gainey would have to be drunk to trade Andrei AND Sergei for Cogliano. Now... Add Penner in and I would consider it. Either way, I'm think Gainey should be trying to cut a number of his RFAs-to-be free. Players like Gui, Maxim, Sergei K., D'Agostini, Carle, Weber, etc. etc. etc. We could use those small dollar amounts to throw at Tomas A.S.A.P. Clearly some of the youngsters are having problems stepping up and playing an important role. Why not look to deal them, save the $500-$900K and give it to the one guy who is having a great rebound year?

To medium.png :

• Andrew Cogliano ($1.200) - RFA in 2010-2011.
  • 6th round draft choice (2010).
  • 7th round draft choice (2010).

To medium.png :

• Sergei Kostitsyn ($0.820) - RFA in 2010-2011.
  • Maxim Lapierre ($0.700) - RFA in 2010-2011.
  • 5th round draft choice (2010).

I wouldnt even want to trade S.K. for Cogs. We already have too many small players and this guy is a centre where would he play? He is soft and undersized and he won't help us in any way. S.K. sure he is having a tough time right now but he plays with an edge like his brother and give him some time he will be ok. But Trade S.K. and Lapierre you gotta be nuts.

Archived