The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tsn Poll The Greatest Hab Ever

Dintrox12

TSN as part of its tribute to a century of les Canadiens has a poll to determine the greatest Hab ever. The nominees are:

Jean Beliveau, Doug Harvey, Guy LaFleur, Howie Morenz, Jacques Plante, Maurice Richard, and Patrick Roy.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=299707

I think the Rocket will take it. I voted for le gros Bill. He was a big skilled centre and arguably the best leader to ever lace up skates. The Habs bought a league to get him to play for them. The Rocket had passion but Jean had skills and lead by example on and off the ice.

Surprised by some greats that didn't make the cut: no Dryden, Robinson, Newsy Lalonde, etc.

TSN as part of its tribute to a century of les Canadiens has a poll to determine the greatest Hab ever. The nominees are:

Jean Beliveau, Doug Harvey, Guy LaFleur, Howie Morenz, Jacques Plante, Maurice Richard, and Patrick Roy.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=299707

I think the Rocket will take it. I voted for le gros Bill. He was a big skilled centre and arguably the best leader to ever lace up skates. The Habs bought a league to get him to play for them. The Rocket had passion but Jean had skills and lead by example on and off the ice.

Surprised by some greats that didn't make the cut: no Dryden, Robinson, Newsy Lalonde, etc.

I voted like you did, but I agree: the Rocket was too much of a cultural icon to not win this poll.

As for the guys left off, as great as they are the question would then become who would you take off to add them to the poll. It really speaks to the calibre of players this team has had.

As I am tempted to pick my idol growing up Lafleur.....there's no denying......THE "ROCKET"

my vote is for the only hab who can say they single handedly won two stanley cups for our organization and they just happen to be the last two we won! hands down the most clutch playoff preformer of all time!! Numero 33, Patrick Roy!!

Jean Beliveau was a great player whose leadership and numbers speak for themselves...if CLASS was a criterion for this competition then Big Jean wins hands down ...but because the Rocket was the games best pure sniper and was responsible for single -handedly winning so many games ( scored all 5 goals in a play-off win over Toronto 5-1)....50 goals in 50 games was a standard for decades and still is in an era when 20 goals was a very good year...the Montreal riot...for his stature in the game and across Canada alone he is the greatest Hab

As much as I wanted to vote for my childhood sports' hero St. Patrick I couldn't justify it over the Rocket and Jean Beliveau, I ended up picking Beliveau, though I honestly think, even though it defeats the purpose of greatest ever player, Jean Beliveau and the Rocket should share the honours.

As much as I wanted to vote for my childhood sports' hero St. Patrick I couldn't justify it over the Rocket and Jean Beliveau, I ended up picking Beliveau, though I honestly think, even though it defeats the purpose of greatest ever player, Jean Beliveau and the Rocket should share the honours.

I agree and to be honest with the men that have come through our system/team it truly is impossible to pick just one as the greatest ever. I had to choose only one so I chose JB.

I find it funny that one of the players that got a trophy named after him isn't on the list.

I voted for Beliveau, because nobody can compare to the player and the person he was. He is a symbol for the Habs even today.

However, with this team's history and its longevity, I think it is rediculous to label 1 Habs player as teh best ever.

I've been checking the results periodically. I'm surprised that Plante, Morenz, and Doug Harvey are not getting more votes. They were all great players. Harvey is the second best defenceman to play the game just after Bobby Orr. Plante revolutionized the role of the goalie and was an innovator. Morenz was the best player of his generation, sort of an earlier version of Wayne Gretzky or as he was called the 'Babe Ruth of hockey'.

As I said in my initial post there were a lot of names left off the list including Vezina, Hainsworth, Newsy Lalonde, Lach, Boom Boom, Dryden, Robinson, Gainey, Shutt, the roadrunner...

the voting so far with just over 10,000 votes cast:

Maurice Richard 45%

Jean Beliveau 31.4%

Guy LaFleur 12.5%

Patrick Roy 6.1%

Jacques Plante 2%

Doug Harvey 1.6%

Howie Morenz 1.1%

1.6 % of the vote for Harvey is ridiculous. The second greatest D man in history IMO and the real innovator of the position. Orr took his lead to the next level. Again, just my opinion.

Archived