The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Have Your Say For The Best Habs Team Ever

Rondalsf

Wouldn't it be nice if the 2011 Habs could be best ever?

Gomez Cammy Gionta

Plekanec Eller A.Kostitsyn

Boyd Maxwell Pouliot (White Pacioretty Pyatt)

Lappy Darche Moen

Markov O'Byrne

Spacek Subban

Gorges Hammerlik (Gill)

Price (with Auld on bench)

Desjardins (with Price on bench)

Best ever Habs, maybe not, but I love the way we're progressing since the BIG BLAST of 2009!

Wouldn't it be nice if the 2011 Habs could be best ever?

Gomez Cammy Gionta

Plekanec Eller A.Kostitsyn

Boyd Maxwell Pouliot (White Pacioretty Pyatt)

Lappy Darche Moen

Markov O'Byrne

Spacek Subban

Gorges Hammerlik (Gill)

Price (with Auld on bench)

Desjardins (with Price on bench)

Best ever Habs, maybe not, but I love the way we're progressing since the BIG BLAST of 2009!

Wow that would be nice but....take me to you're leader!

Well, if you insist, here goes, my Habs team for all time:

First Line: Steve Shutt, Newsy Lalonde, Maurice Richard

Second Line: Bert Olmstead, Howie Morenz, Guy Lafleur

Third Line: Dickie Moore, Jean Beliveau, Bernie Geoffrion

Fourth Line: Aurele Joliat, Joe Malone, Johnny Gagnon

Defense first pair: Doug Harvey, Larry Robinson

Defense second pair: Butch Bouchard, Serge Savard

Defense third pair: Joe Hall, Ken Reardon

Goalies:

Bill Durnan

Georges Vezina

Coach: Hector "Toe" Blake

General Manager: Frank Selke

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would have to agree with Jean Beliveau and the 1957 team. The 50's team was so good it created the Richard Riot, could you possibly imagine if the fans knew they were getting screwed out of the only team to win seven straight Stanley Cups. Richard couldn't have calmed them knowing that.

• 1 month later...
The 1956-60 Habs wthout a doubt. How can a team not be the greatest of all time when they win 5 consecutive Stanley Cups?

The 50's Habs won the Stanley Cup in 52-53 , then went to seven game overtime with Detroit in 53-54 the same in 54-55 and lost both had Richard not been suspended the Habs would have won in 54-55 as well that could have been eight Stanley Cups in a row no team will ever repeat that record. Without a doubt the Habs forced the NHL to change the penalty times their powerplay was so good the Habs could finish a team off when they were shorthanded for a full two minutes. That is why the penalty is over when a goal is scored now. the 1957 Stanley Cup Habs were Jean Beliveau's choice as the best team ever and I'd take his word for that he was on 10 winners and as an executive 7 more so he seen more Stanley Cup winners than most people and his word is the gospel to me.

the 77, 78, & 79 Team, best team ever period.

Yes But What About The 50's Team With 5 Straight Cups,

1st 1955 - 1960

2nd 1975 - 1979

3rd 1961 - 1970

And We Can't Forget 71, When Chicago Should Have Won Dryden Was The Reason We Won, & That Almost Happened Last Season With The 09-10 Team

What a History

• 1 month later...

Blake-Lach-M. Richard

H. Richard-Beliveau-Lafleur

Naslund-Carbonneau-Muller

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Robinson-Lapointe

Harvey-Savard

Markov-Desjardins

Roy

Dryden

Healthy Scratches:

Forwards:

Morenz

Geoffrion

Lemaire

Gainey

Shutt

Mcphee

Mahovolich

Ribeiro

Cammalleri

Throw in that guy who jumped on the ice on practice, I believe his name is Raphael?

Defense:

Brisebois

Bouchard

Chelios

MAB

Goalies

Plante

Halak

Price

Theodore

I am not going to fight over the 1950s and 1970s teams. Both were great but the league was different then and in some ways favoured the habs. To me their cup wins in 1986 and 1993 were equally impressive. But yet it was the 1989 team that was probably the best Habs have had in the last 30 years. It was unfortunate that the Flames team that year was a little better. And the trade of Chelios for Savard was the beginning of the end

• 5 months later...

Moving to the General Habs Discussion section.

Thanks BigTed, I had forgotten I made this thread.

This is fun.

Blake-Morenz-M. Richard

Naslund-Beliveau-Lafleur

Gainey-Carbonneau-Geoffrion

LeClair-Nilan-Lemieux

Harvey-Robinson

Lapointe-Chelios

Laperriere-Desjardins

Roy

Dryden

I like your team. It's very hard to just make one, yes?

• 1 month later...

I will give one team, and here goes:

Forwards:

First line- Dickie Moore, Howie Morenz, Maurice Richard

Second line- Steve Shutt, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur

Third Line - Toe Blake, Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer

Fourth (shutdown) line- John Ferguson, Bob Gainey, Mario Tremblay

Defense:

Doug Harvey, Larry Robinson

Sprague Cleghorn, Serge Savard

Butch Bouchard, Ken Reardon

Goalies:

Bill Durnan

Georges Vezina

Best power play - the unit of Bert Olmstead, Jean Beliveau, Maurice Richard, Doug Harvey and Boom-Boom Geoffrion, who forced the rules change to end a minor penalty once a goal is scored.

Best penalty killing unit - anyone who did so in the late 1970s. They were just so strong in that area that they could assign just about anyone defensive minded they wanted, and they'd get the job done.

Coach: Hector "Toe" Blake

GM - Frank Selke

Best player ever - Maurice Richard

Best defenseman ever - Doug Harvey

Best goalie - Bill Durnan

I know most of you will disagree with me on many of my choices, but I attempted to dig way back into Habs history to come up with my best of the best. I made my fourth line my shutdown line in the spirit of the rules here, and so I could have more room for great ones for my third line. I hope the person who originated this great thread doesn't mind.

The reason Bill Durnan and Georges Vezina get the nod from me as best goalies are twofold - Durnan was ambidextrious, and could move the stick from side to side, and catch the puck with either hand. And he was big and filled out a lot of net. He dominated the 1940s, and in my humble opinion, is perhaps the best Habs goalie ever. I voted for him for that due to his abilities and dominance.

Vezina was as cool as a cucumber under pressure - Chicoutimi Cucumber was his nickname - and was a dominant force for the Canadiens and to be reckoned with in the NHL from the second year of the Canadiens' existence to his death in 1925. He was the best of the so-called "stand up" goalies, for they were not allowed to go to their knees.

And I wanted to defend my selection of Butch Bouchard and Ken Reardon on my third defense pairing - they played together in the 1940s, and were rough-and-tumble. They made opponents pay for entering their area of the ice. Their toughness alone makes them stand out to me. Ditto for my selection of Sprague Cleghorn, one of the toughest defensemen of his day.

The reason Bill Durnan and Georges Vezina get the nod from me as best goalies are twofold - Durnan was ambidextrious, and could move the stick from side to side, and catch the puck with either hand. And he was big and filled out a lot of net. He dominated the 1940s, and in my humble opinion, is perhaps the best Habs goalie ever. I voted for him for that due to his abilities and dominance.

Vezina was as cool as a cucumber under pressure - Chicoutimi Cucumber was his nickname - and was a dominant force for the Canadiens and to be reckoned with in the NHL from the second year of the Canadiens' existence to his death in 1925. He was the best of the so-called "stand up" goalies, for they were not allowed to go to their knees.

And I wanted to defend my selection of Butch Bouchard and Ken Reardon on my third defense pairing - they played together in the 1940s, and were rough-and-tumble. They made opponents pay for entering their area of the ice. Their toughness alone makes them stand out to me. Ditto for my selection of Sprague Cleghorn, one of the toughest defensemen of his day.

Its a beauty of a team LARRY

Archived