The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Best Face-off Man ?

RocketPower

Very good question and it's hard to say. I've gone ahead and calculated all of our guy's post lockout record and winning %, keep in mind with some (all except Gomez and Plekanec) sample size is an issue.

Cammalleri: 916 - 738 = 55.4 %

Gomez: 2873 - 2639 = 52.1 %

Lapierre: 1054 - 1035 = 50.4 %

Metropolit: 1283 - 1306 = 49.6 %

Plekanec: 2530 - 2588 = 49.4 %

Notes/thoughts: Like I said, it's a really volatile stat and that's why I take Cammalleri with a grain of salt. The % is great, and has been consistently good since 05-06 yet the most he's ever taken in a season is 578 (and that was in 05-06) so I wonder if there's a specific side of the ice he's good at? A specific situation? Or is he just really good, but not perceived as a center so not trusted?

I'll say Gomez is the best, just because of the sheer number of faceoffs he's taken and the consistency in his numbers. He's taking all kinds of faceoffs, all over the ice, 5 on 5, PP, SH anything you can imagine. Want to hear how consistent he's been? He's taken a ton of faceoffs every year post lockout and here are his percentages since then... 52.6%, 52.2%, 52.5% and 52.4%. Pretty incredible.

Lapierre started off his career slowly and was actually really good last year (53.2%) in close to 1000 faceoffs taken and has started off the year on a similar pace although he's only take 150 faceoffs to this point.

You can get the stats off nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fet...iewName=summary

Kyle Chipchura: 53.8%, 106 total faceoffs, +/- 4.8%

Glen Metropolit: 52.6%, 211 total faceoffs, +/- 3.4%

Maxime Lapierre: 52.0%, 150 total faceoffs, +/- 4.1%

Scott Gomez: 48.4%, 397 total faceoffs, +/- 2.5%

Thomas Plekanec: 47.6%, 519 total faceoffs, +/- 2.2%

The statistical era is the range on each side of the measured value between which we're 68% sure that the "true" underlying faceoff effectiveness of the player lies. For example, we can't be too confident in Chipchura's 53.8% as he only took 106 faceoffs. On the other hand, we're 85% sure Plekanec is a below 50/50 man so there might be cause for worry there. In 2008-09 he had 50.6% in 1351 faceoff appearances.

Last year Chipchura's percentage was at 44%, and people were saying it's because he lacks talent and hand/eye coordination can't be taught. I said probably every NHL player is very close to 50% and it was just a statistical coincidence.

Also:

Tom Pyatt, 50%, 28 faceoffs

Michael Cammalleri, 59.3%, 27 faceoffs

Ryan White, 71.4%, 7 faceoffs

Matt D'Agostini has the best faceoff percentage on the team. He took one face off this year, and he won, for a success rate of 100%.

What would be an interesting stat is the % in critical situations like last minute of the game with a 1 goal lead in your own end with the other teams goalie out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

No joke, that would be very interesting. Just like the one Plekanec lost in our end on Saturday night. If he wins that faceoff, he saves us a point in the standings because we could have iced the puck since we were shorthanded.

What would be an interesting stat is the % in critical situations like last minute of the game with a 1 goal lead in your own end with the other teams goalie out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

It would be very uninteresting because the sample size would be so incredibly small that it would be hard to take seriously.

It would be very uninteresting because the sample size would be so incredibly small that it would be hard to take seriously.

so what, still would tell ya something. ok maybe you can't define "crucial" but maybe a guy is 60 % between the blue lines, 40% in the offensive zone and 38% in his own zone.

so what, still would tell ya something. ok maybe you can't define "crucial" but maybe a guy is 60 % between the blue lines, 40% in the offensive zone and 38% in his own zone.

The NHL stat site breaks it down by situation, 5 on 5, PP, PK if you're interested in that but I don't think it will tell you much for this season you'd have to look back at career history.

Last nights game:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20092010/FC020431.HTM

Here's how you get the stats, navigate to: http://www.nhl.com/scores

Select the game

Hit Gamecenter

Once in game center, click on "Game Reports". Faceoff reports are in there.

Metro was awesome last night. He's the best center we have right now.

Pleks was better in the offensive zone faceoffs.

Last nights game:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20092010/FC020431.HTM

Here's how you get the stats, navigate to: http://www.nhl.com/scores

Select the game

Hit Gamecenter

Once in game center, click on "Game Reports". Faceoff reports are in there.

Metro was awesome last night. He's the best center we have right now.

Pleks was better in the offensive zone faceoffs.

Maybe on the face-off, but Pleks has more points and arguably Gomez is better than Metroplit.... :D

Archived