The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chipchura Traded To Anaheim

Parenteau15

Sure sounded like a direct personal attack on Mr Gainey's abilities as a GM on a page sponsored by the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Organization.

I was warned about making "insensitive" comments about Gainey and his dreadful on-ice product/off ice moves, but its different when a Mod himself is fed up with Gainey and his obvious lack of talent as a GM? Comical.

Everyone is equal, some more equal than others obviously here.

Im sure this will be magically erased.

I haven't seen your past posts... But if I had to guess it might be the way you were putting your point across... Awhile back I really slammed into Garth Murray about how useless he was... Although many agreed (he was traded a week later) I was banned for a period of time because my comments were disrespectful or just too extreme for a fan forum... Weep may not like Gainey (putting it nicely) but i haven't seen name calling (nothing overboard atleast) or any comments that would warrant another mod to warn him or ban him...

I personally don't see ANY Mod getting away with anything we can't... Its all in the delivery

I haven't seen your past posts... But if I had to guess it might be the way you were putting your point across... Awhile back I really slammed into Garth Murray about how useless he was... Although many agreed (he was traded a week later) I was banned for a period of time because my comments were disrespectful or just too extreme for a fan forum... Weep may not like Gainey (putting it nicely) but i haven't seen name calling (nothing overboard atleast) or any comments that would warrant another mod to warn him or ban him...

I personally don't see ANY Mod getting away with anything we can't... Its all in the delivery

Well that's it, you're obviously allowed to express displeasure with the team or the on ice product you just have to be respectful and use appropriate language. Some members think the Mods can say do as they please but there are other Mods and Admins and our posts are watched and held to the same standard as any member.

If you guys have any questions/concerns about what's allowed and what's not just feel free to PM a moderator and we'll be glad to help you.

This is a fair question, but as I said earlier in this thread, the trade in and of itself is not terrible. On a basic, hand-to-mouth level, it's adequate: flip a player no longer in our plans for future help. I will, however, dispute the parallel between Chips and any of the players we failed to trade at last year's deadline. Those players, like Souray and Streit before them, had trade value. Chipchura has no trade value. All other things being equal, I am opposed to trading assets when their value is low.

But that's not even the issue for me. In the big picture, the Chipchura trade is just one more sad indictment of Bob Gainey's tenure as Habs GM. If over the past six years we'd done a better job of scouting, drafting, and/or developing players, maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't be happy just to trade a bust first-round pick for what will likely turn out to be nothing more than a bag of pucks.

I hear ya. And I agree that Souray should have been traded. He was clearly going to over price himself adn in no way be worth it. He's not much better than MAB, who is valued around where he's paid rigth now. But I still think Streit was a no win. You can't trade you're trigger man heading into the playoffs when you are 1st in yoru conference. and you know what? Judging from how Streit has faired thus far, I'd say it wasn't an entirely bad move. Of course, you also have to take into account he CLAIMED he woudl have signed here for less than $3M per, so.......

As for the drafting.....look, it's a crap shoot. Everyone knows that. Youroll the dice and you get what you get. Gainey rolls teh dice. I like that. It landed us Price. Whether or not he pans out, who knows. But no other GM would have taken Carey 5th overall. CHips was a gamble for that high a pick, but the flip side of that is I remember people saying how much Habs fans where gonna love this guy during the world juniors. he didn't pan out, again, crap shoot.

Funny reading all these posts....

What happened to... IN BOB WE TRUST...?? I guess we won't be seeing too much of that anymore.

No sir. :lol:

You will not. For the most part people are getting frustrated with Gainey's lack of ability at acquiring top talent through either free agency OR the draft. Chipchura is just another example of a wasted 1st round choice when Mike Green and Travis Zajac were drafted afterward. Two players who contribute big minutes, and play and offensive game for Washington and New Jersey respectively.

You will not. For the most part people are getting frustrated with Gainey's lack of ability at acquiring top talent through either free agency OR the draft. Chipchura is just another example of a wasted 1st round choice when Mike Green and Travis Zajac were drafted afterward. Two players who contribute big minutes, and play and offensive game for Washington and New Jersey respectively.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing man. As I said earlier, people loved Chipchura when he was drafted. He was being heralded as a future captain of this team. This "who we could have gotten" game is just silly. Every team in the league could have a similar list in that regard.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing man. As I said earlier, people loved Chipchura when he was drafted. He was being heralded as a future captain of this team. This "who we could have gotten" game is just silly. Every team in the league could have a similar list in that regard.

+1 to J Haul.

Personally, I think Gainey is an amazing drafter. Want proof? In the same draft as we got Chipchura, who played parts of three seasons in the NHL and got us another pick when he was done, Gainey didn't end up with any of the following household names: Marek Schwarz, Devan Dubnyk, A.J. Thelen, Lauri Tukonen, Boris Valabik, Al Montoya (who looking at his stats actually played surprisingly well in his 5 NHL games with Phoenix last year). ALL of those guys were selected before Chips in the same draft.

Bob Ganey must be a genus!!11!!!!1!

In Bob we trust ;):P

Guys, we need to get the rules straight here.

You can bash Komisarek all you want, now that he's not a member of the Canadiens, provided your post adheres to the Code of Conduct in all the usual ways. That means, for example, no foul language and NO bigotry of any kind (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.). If I see a certain nickname for Komisarek show up again, I am going to start issuing official warnings.

To be fair, you've decided to dissect only the first line of the posters message, which was obviously said tongue in cheek. There were some solid arguments in it that you chose to ignore and instead focus on your increasingly popular "straw man" rebuttal.

I only invoke the straw man when I see a member making borderline flaming comments towards the general membership. Beginning your tenure as a member on these forums by sarcastically attacking everyone ("you people") for harboring a fabricated opinion (Chipchura as a potential 100-point man) is inflammatory and makes me not even want to read the actual substance of the member's post. It's all about respect. I may not like or agree with what you say, J Haul, but I'm not going to try to make you look like a fool just because we happen to disagree.

I actually agree with some of what was said in the original post. Who among us could have imagined Chipchura being a "bust"? He seemed like a solid pick that just didn't pan out for whatever reason and we managed to flip him for another pick. It's all about hindsight man. People generally loved Chips when he first entered the system.

I agree with you here. I don't think many imagined he'd be a bust. But all we have to go on is hindsight. If we draft 100 players and 98 of them turn out to be busts, are we not allowed to question the scouting and drafting abilities of our GM because we're using hindsight?

Sure sounded like a direct personal attack on Mr Gainey's abilities as a GM on a page sponsored by the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Organization.

Please read the Code of Conduct before you make (incorrect) assumptions about moderators abusing their power.

All members are free to voice their displeasure with any member of the Montreal Canadiens organization, provided their posts do not contain obscene language, bigotry, personally insulting nicknames (e.g. a certain nickname for an ex-Hab defenseman that was recently being circulated), or speculation / innuendo regarding the person's private life.

I thought i would post this old scouting and player rating report i dug up prior to the 2004 draft. It supports the decision to draft Kyle in the 1st round and also makes mention of other players whom we could now rate as flops in hindsight. Its easy to point out guys drafted after Kyle as superior picks but as someone else mentioned in an earlier post,,,,,there were guys drafted ahead of Kyle that didnt pan out either. ;)

Among North Americans, the top skater is Andrew Ladd of the Calgary Hitmen. Ladd, a 6'-2", 199-pound left winger, led all Western Hockey League rookies in scoring this season with 35 goals and 40 assists.

Second on the North American list is another WHL star, Medicine Hat Tigers' defenceman Cameron Barker. He's already 6'-3" and 214 pounds, and has recorded 113 points over the last two seasons. From the Quebec Junior League, left winger Alexandre Picard of the Lewiston Maineiacs is ranked third. He had 80 points in 69 games this season.

Center Kyle Chipchura of the Prince Albert Raiders, listed first among North Americans in the mid-season rankings, drops to fourth after a season that included injury problems.

I too am also offended by the play on words of Komisarek's name. Now having said that, Lets go out and destroy those BUFFALO GAYBRES tonight!!!!! ;)

Guys, we need to get the rules straight here.

You can bash Komisarek all you want, now that he's not a member of the Canadiens, provided your post adheres to the Code of Conduct in all the usual ways. That means, for example, no foul language and NO bigotry of any kind (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.). If I see a certain nickname for Komisarek show up again, I am going to start issuing official warnings.

Can we attack a team as a whole? :lol:

(Dear God Pollock, I know you are in a better place right now. Could you please spare some time and watch over our beloved Canadiens. Shed some of your wisdom on our GM, Bob Gainey. Mold him into one of the greatest GM's in the NHL...something...anything...we are getting desperate...AMEN)

The player always sounds better when you acquire them. This was taken from the Ducks website.

The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has acquired center Kyle Chipchura from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

“Kyle Chipchura is a heart-and-soul player,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “A team leader in both his professional and amateur career, Chipchura will be a valuable addition to the Anaheim Ducks.”

Chipchura, 23 (2/19/86), has appeared in 19 games for Montreal this season, going scoreless with 16 penalty minutes (PIM). The 6-2, 206-pound center recorded 11 shots on net while averaging 8:37 time-on-ice (TOI) with the Canadiens. He won 51-of-106 faceoffs, ranking second on the club in faceoff percentage (53.8%).

Originally selected by Montreal in the first round (18th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Chipchura earned 0-3=3 points with five PIM in 13 games with the Canadiens last season. He spent the remainder of the year with Montreal’s American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate in Hamilton, scoring 14-21=35 points with 65 PIM in 51 games. As Hamilton’s team captain, Chipchura led the Bulldogs with a +28 rating in the regular season.

A native of Westlock, Alberta, Chipchura has played three NHL seasons with Montreal, collecting 4-10=14 points with 31 PIM in 68 career games. Over four AHL seasons with Hamilton from 2006-09, Chipchura recorded 37-61=98 points with 154 PIM in 178 games and helped the Bulldogs win the 2007 Calder Cup. Prior to making his professional debut with Hamilton, he won a gold medal as Team Canada’s captain at the 2006 World Junior Championship in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Chipchura spoke to reporters from Montreal on Wednesday afternoon. The following is a transcript:

It wasn’t a total surprise. I felt a change was coming. When it happens, it’s still a shock. I’m very excited to be joining the Ducks. I’m looking forward to the challenge and opportunity.

On the immigration process

I’m not quite sure how it works. From what I was told, it can be anywhere from 3-5 days. Hopefully, things work smoothly and I can get down there sooner rather than later.

On his role

My role here in Montreal was a bottom-six forward guy, who comes to compete every night and plays a gritty game. I came off to a rough start here in Montreal. Hopefully, a fresh opportunity will help me turn things around.

On the start to his season

It’s hard to say. There is no excuse for it. I had shoulder surgery in the offseason and didn’t have training camp. My first few games, before I knew it I was minus-six after four games or something like that. It’s a tough league and you have to be consistent. I felt like I had my ups and downs.

On playing in Montreal as a young player

Montreal is definitely one of the toughest places to play, but it’s also one of the more special places to play. As a guy trying to make his mark, the pressure is there every day with the team, the city and the media. It’s like you are under a microscope. The way the past few seasons have went here, it was time for a fresh start, relax, play the game and have fun again. That is what I’m hoping happens here in Anaheim.

On familiarity with Getzlaf and Perry during the 2005 World Juniors with Team Canada

I got injured right before the training camp. I spent the summer camp with them the summer before that. They are two very good players. They were great back then. They have sure developed into top-tier NHLers.

On the Ducks

I’ve met a couple of guys before. I played with Saku. I’m looking forward to seeing him again. He is the greatest captain I have ever played with and a great guy, who is very well respected here in Montreal. Travis Moen gave me a call a couple of hours ago. He had nothing but good things to say. He said it’s a great place to live, a great organization, a great group of guys, a great thing to be a part of and an awful lot of fun.

. Some members think the Mods can say do as they please but there are other Mods and Admins and our posts are watched and held to the same standard as any member.

You are correct , I do think that , so a few other who want to remain nameless <_<

Anyways Chipchura was bust as a Hab , glad SK is back , he has the potential to be an 80 pt player ;)

maybe over three seasons

alot of the people who are cutting chipchura down on here are <Edited> Respect your fellow members, and avoid offensive language. Thanks. -weepingminotaur. first off not ever player is a goal scorer. everyone has different playing styles and chips is more of a grinder. if canadiens actually gave him a chance he could have developed into a good defensive forward.

Actually, the direction is pretty clear. Cut the deadweight and draft picks that haven't really progressed over the past 3 years and go for a on-the-fly rebuild via free agency.

Higgins underachieved = gone

Latendresse underachieved = gone

Chipchura underachieved = gone

I'm not saying I agree with the approach but that's the direction the organization has taken, which has also been confirmed during the Molson press conference. We are officially rebuilding and the ownership is apparently happy with it. I'm quite sure that there's more trades to come and I wouldn't be surprised to see both Kostitsyn's gone by the end of the year. Again, not saying I'm agreeing with it but it sure looks like Gainey is willing to replace the entire team.

Um, how exactly did Higgins become an underachiever? The guy scored more than I ever thought he would....

As to the Kostytsins...those are the <Edited> Bad language & player-bashing = bad -weepingminotaur he should have let go in the off season, or at last years trade deadline.

What is this guys problem? Every post of his I have read he is negative. It does seem like a lot of built up frustration doesn't it. This dude talks about firing Gainey... fire palmala...

I am generally thought quite an optimist however when discussing the Canadiens, well... :P

There exists a significant difference between negativity, blind positivity and realism. Weep, like myself falls into the latter category. Following the atrocious game showcased tonight one has every right to voice dissatisfaction with the team. It is not negative to provide a factual statement nor is questioning Gainey's madness; figuratively speaking. Frankly Gainey should be fired and should have long preceding today.

In all honesty, I look forward to Weep's posts. While we may not agree upon everything; primarily Andrei Kostitsyn, I have little doubt he is well versed in hockey knowledge, thus I respect his opinion regardless.

I was Kyle Chipchura's biggest fan on this board and I support the trade. Chipchura will be better off, the habs acquire a 4th round pick, and they clear a roster spot for one of Sergei Kostitsyn, Ryan White. That's three pluses.

However I see it as a sign of Gainey's ineptitude. We drafted a defensive forward in the 1st round, it was like 2 years after we drafted Christopher Higgins. Why draft defensive forwards in the 1st round? We then proceeded to totally screw up his development by YoYoing up and down and never giving him a legitimate and stable shot. This year, he started off rusty because he missed camp. He was then turning it around and playing 11 or 12 minutes a game and getting a lot of scoring chances and not being in the minus column. We then put him back down to 2 minutes a game. Ridiculous. However the only success he had this year was with Latendresse on his line and now Latendresse is gone to be a point per game player in Minnesota.

I was Kyle Chipchura's biggest fan on this board and I support the trade. Chipchura will be better off, the habs acquire a 4th round pick, and they clear a roster spot for one of Sergei Kostitsyn, Ryan White. That's three pluses.

However I see it as a sign of Gainey's ineptitude. We drafted a defensive forward in the 1st round, it was like 2 years after we drafted Christopher Higgins. Why draft defensive forwards in the 1st round? We then proceeded to totally screw up his development by YoYoing up and down and never giving him a legitimate and stable shot. This year, he started off rusty because he missed camp. He was then turning it around and playing 11 or 12 minutes a game and getting a lot of scoring chances and not being in the minus column. We then put him back down to 2 minutes a game. Ridiculous. However the only success he had this year was with Latendresse on his line and now Latendresse is gone to be a point per game player in Minnesota.

I think he is just trying to say I told you so to the Habs coaches & management. His "bad habits" will be back by the olympic break. Of course I'm talking about Gui.

What a pointless trade. Yay, a 4th rounder...and we cleared pretty much no salary, so this trade accomplishes nothing, except for losing a guy who was once considered next captain if the habs. I'm slowly losing faith in BG...

Loosing faith lol.....it's Chipchura why would we keep him. He's a 1st pick round failure lol.

Archived