The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Report: Halak requests trade

habs1119

Possible Halak Trade  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Will he be traded by the trade deadline?

• Yes
    • No

Watching That's Hockey on TSN, and both St-Louis and Detroit GM's said they aren't interested in Halak, that both their goalie situations are fine.

As much as im not totally sold on this rumour, I highly doubt any GM involved would admit it to the media...

What I posted in Halak's thread:

No hurry to trade this guy.

He can give you 30 games a year with a .910 save percentage, and he does it for a cap hit of ~700k.

Even if he gets a salary increase to 1 or 1.5 next year, he'll still be worth it.

He's just been incredibly valuable to the habs the past few years.

Possibly the best 9th round draft pick in habs history :-)

The trade market for goalies is crap anyway. Is anyone actually interested in giving up what Halak gives to the team for a 2nd round draft pick?

I don't think I'd even take a 1st rounder from an elite team. I wouldn't. A 1st rounder from a team on the bubble? Maybe.

Is Halak interested in re-signing as a back-up (i think most are accepting this now) for 1-1.5 million??? Halak wants to start... I highly doubt his agent can't find him a starter job somewhere

QUOTE (paul_b @ Dec 10 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What we do need is an old veteran goalie to help Carey along the way. He has a long way to go as he is still very young. We should of grabbed like a Curtis Joseph or someone like that, that will not play many games, just to show Carey the way and keep in on the straight and arrow...

Go Habs Go!!

Halak for Zetterberg, straight up!!

hahahaha :D nice joke

He melted down (along with the rest of the team) last year... the year before he played Huet out of Montreal and helped Montreal into 1st place in the east... Hes only been to the playoffs twice in his SHORT career, how many goalies are proven playoff goalies in their first 2 years... Price hating is one thing, but you can atleast be smart about it

I never said I hated Carey I hope he does prove himself. You have to admit even last year if the fans didn't do the ALL-STAR voting and it was in Montreal he wouldn't of started. It was nice to see him get the start being in Montreal but I have always disagreed with the fan voting for all stars. The whole point is why trade a cheap good goalie , better at times (last year 2nd half) when you don't have to and your starter hasn't fully proven himself yet. Pitts tried to keep good back ups until Fluery got adjusted to the NHL, long year presure ect.

Detroit could use Halak. I f it was Detroit I would love to see Helm very fast hits everything will be a future star. That said I wouldn't mind keeping him, because Carey seams to always melt down in the second half. I hope he doesn't but I'd like to see a complete season with consistency. I like Carey but he hasn't proven to be a playoff goalie yet either. Halak hasn't yet either but may be able to if needed (injury) or just making the change when needed. (But with Carey since Gainey drafted him no matter how he does in the playoffs he'll be the man. 07-08 I would of liked to seen Halak play when we had fire power and Carey fell apart....and last years little fit? I hope he proves he can be "the" goalie, but as I said we need a whole season and maybe at least a few good playoff games before we get rid of another possible starter.

Always eh? He took a team of nobodies into first place a few years back. Then last year he suffered a pretty big injury and didnt come back with as much confidence, which looks to be back IMO. You are taking Price hating to a new level man! Price is not our problem, if we had Detroit's goaltending, we would be in search of our 3rd win right now!

What I posted in Halak's thread:

No hurry to trade this guy.

He can give you 30 games a year with a .910 save percentage, and he does it for a cap hit of ~700k.

Even if he gets a salary increase to 1 or 1.5 next year, he'll still be worth it.

He's just been incredibly valuable to the habs the past few years.

Possibly the best 9th round draft pick in habs history :-)

The trade market for goalies is crap anyway. Is anyone actually interested in giving up what Halak gives to the team for a 2nd round draft pick?

I don't think I'd even take a 1st rounder from an elite team. I wouldn't. A 1st rounder from a team on the bubble? Maybe.

Packaging castoffs with more castoffs doesn't lead to a better package.

In a limited roster spot, limited cap space NHL, no amount of bronze or copper can get you a single bar of gold. You need a bar of gold or 2 bars of silver.

Even if that were not true,

Pouliot

4th round pick

Halak

is not less attractive then:

Latendresse

Chipchura

Halak

Great posts. Halak is worth more to us as a player than as a trade chip.

But I'm sure Gainey will eagerly rush to get rid of Jaro in exchange for a 30-something, 20-goal forward who'll be UFA in the summer.

This is a situation where the Habs are in a position of power so to say. They certainly don't need to trade him but there are teams out there - all the ones which have been mentioned - who are badly in need of a #1 and Halak in most people's opinions is capable of being that #1. Everyone knows that the plan with Price is not to have him platoon with as part of a 1A and 1B situation so whats wrong with seeing what teams are willing to offer for Halak. Since we are in a position of power I doubt very much if this move gets made without something good pretty good in return...

how about Brad Boyes or David Backes and Barrett Jackman...

I hope L.A. is interested in Halak. Maybe we could trade Halak, Pouliot and either D'Agostino or a draft pick to the Kings for Frolov.

no way we could do that due to a low cap space...

abdlekader or leino would be just fine trade, imo.

Sure we would have the cap space for a move like that. Frolov only has a cap-hit of 2.9 million dollars. We would send back over 1.5 million cap hit.

Haha, I think LA's pretty confident in Jon Quick, and that is seriously undervaluing Frolov.

I know that L.A. most likely won't be looking for another goalie. However Ersberg is a weak back-up goalie. As for undervaluing Frolov. He'll most likely leave the Kings after that season anyway without any return.

Sure we would have the cap space for a move like that. Frolov only has a cap-hit of 2.9 million dollars. We would send back over 1.5 million cap hit.

thats true, but frolov is an ufa next summer as well as plekanec, mara and metro. price, laps, sk, pyatt and pouliot are rfa's. how you gonna re-sign them all with only 10m of the cap space left? and even those 10m are very questionable because of the cap drop possibility.

what about sk and halak for jvr? :)

I can live with that :D having lines like this when markov and gionta returns

Cammalleri-Pleks-AK

Van Riemsdyk-Gomez-Gionta

Moen-Laps/Metro-D'agger

Patches-Laps/Metro-Pyatt

Spares: Laraque,Pouliot,

Markov- Hammrlik

Spacek-MAB

Gorges-O'Byrne

Spares:Gill, Mara

Price

Sanford

with the exception of our...Defence ...umm.. mass amount of defence (BG has a defencemen fetish alright...), those lines look alright with me,

Pleks,cammy and AK can keep tearing it up, JVR can develop under Gomez and Gio,

the 3rd and 4th lines look like that anyway

Then the Defence: Markov will probably be playing with Hammer, unless we get someone else,(unless we trade mara,gill, O'Byrne or Gorges, don't see that happening)

not sure about how Spacek and MAB would work, and there would be a lot of tendom with the last def line

Price is proving himself, and we can try out sanford as out backup goalie.

feel free to disagree, but it could be nice to have JVR,

1)Packaging castoffs with more castoffs doesn't lead to a better package.

In a limited roster spot, limited cap space NHL, 2)no amount of bronze or copper can get you a single bar of gold. You need a bar of gold or 2 bars of silver.

3)Even if that were not true,

Pouliot

4th round pick

Halak

is not less attractive then:

Latendresse

Chipchura

Halak

1) The value is different from team to team. If the Islanders hadn't signed a ton of old terrible goalies to fill their limited roster spot, a Gui+Halak trade would be perfect if we threw in a decent draft pick. Gui is better than many of the forwards on that team. If Halak isn't amazingly better than the current old goalies they have now, at least they have a young NHL goalie with a lot of potential, and a small salary. Young goalie with potential, young forward with decent experience and time to develop, and a draft pick? Sounds ok to me if I'm a young basement team, and you could probably get something good in return. What are castoffs to one team could be decent, young, cheap assets to another...

2) I suppose that's true in a way, but what if one man values one bar of bronze far above the others for some strange reason, like if Minny called asking about how they could get Latendresse. BG sits with one bar of bronze asking for a gold bar in return, and then sits with one bar of bronze trading it away for a cement block. Couldn't BG have gotten more from the man with the cement block by including the other bar he expects to get gold bar value in return? It wouldn't even have to be gold, couldn't it be silver? Even a low quality silver is better than the two bronze bars...

3)You think a 22 year old with 239 games NHL experience, and a 23 year old with 71 games experience is not better than a 23 year old with 65 games experience and a draft pick in a round with a bad chance of obtaining a player capable of playing in the NHL? I don't know...

I can live with that :D having lines like this when markov and gionta returns

Cammalleri-Pleks-AK

Van Riemsdyk-Gomez-Gionta

Moen-Laps/Metro-D'agger

Patches-Laps/Metro-Pyatt

Spares: Laraque,Pouliot,

Markov- Hammrlik

Spacek-MAB

Gorges-O'Byrne

Spares:Gill, Mara

Price

Sanford

with the exception of our...Defence ...umm.. mass amount of defence (BG has a defencemen fetish alright...), those lines look alright with me,

Pleks,cammy and AK can keep tearing it up, JVR can develop under Gomez and Gio,

the 3rd and 4th lines look like that anyway

Then the Defence: Markov will probably be playing with Hammer, unless we get someone else,(unless we trade mara,gill, O'Byrne or Gorges, don't see that happening)

not sure about how Spacek and MAB would work, and there would be a lot of tendom with the last def line

Price is proving himself, and we can try out sanford as out backup goalie.

feel free to disagree, but it could be nice to have JVR,

Seems like we only had 7 defensemen at the start of the season and had to acquire more because of injuries... In the past I agree he had gone out to get more defense than we needed, but this year it was needed... MAB is the only extra we got...

As for the defense lines I would like:

Markov O'byrne

Hamrlik Spacek

Mara Gorges

Gill can rotate in... MAB can play on the 4th line and drop back for the PP...

Not arguing about the forwards until we see how Pouliot pans out...

1) The value is different from team to team. If the Islanders hadn't signed a ton of old terrible goalies to fill their limited roster spot, a Gui+Halak trade would be perfect if we threw in a decent draft pick. Gui is better than many of the forwards on that team. If Halak isn't amazingly better than the current old goalies they have now, at least they have a young NHL goalie with a lot of potential, and a small salary. Young goalie with potential, young forward with decent experience and time to develop, and a draft pick? Sounds ok to me if I'm a young basement team, and you could probably get something good in return. What are castoffs to one team could be decent, young, cheap assets to another...

2) I suppose that's true in a way, but what if one man values one bar of bronze far above the others for some strange reason, like if Minny called asking about how they could get Latendresse. BG sits with one bar of bronze asking for a gold bar in return, and then sits with one bar of bronze trading it away for a cement block. Couldn't BG have gotten more from the man with the cement block by including the other bar he expects to get gold bar value in return? It wouldn't even have to be gold, couldn't it be silver? Even a low quality silver is better than the two bronze bars...

3)You think a 22 year old with 239 games NHL experience, and a 23 year old with 71 games experience is not better than a 23 year old with 65 games experience and a draft pick in a round with a bad chance of obtaining a player capable of playing in the NHL? I don't know...

1) The Islanders may or may not be interested in Halak, and they have a goalie of the future whom they drafted 1st in the 2nd round last year, Mikko Koskinen. They have a goalie of the present in Dwayne Roloson, with his .915 save percentage.

2) Managing a hockey club is not like managing a stock portfolio. You have a limited number of roster spots, and a limited amount of cap space, as such no amount of bronze can get you gold. Sometimes someone may value a bar of bronze more, and we got a potential 1st line winger in Ben Pouliot for Guillaume Latendresse.

3) The 4th round pick is worth more to us than Kyle Chipchura because Chipchura was worth a negative to us. He wasn't working out with the habs. He's a defensive center, a position for which we have Lapierre, Metropolit, and in the future we'll have Ryan White, possibly Brock Trotter and Ryan Russell.

The value of a 4th round pick?

In 2003 we got Halak in the 9th round

In 2004 we got Grabovski in the 5th round, Gregory Stewart in the 8th round, and Mark Streit in the 9th round

In 2005 we got D'Agostini in the 6th round, Sergei Kostitsyn in the 7th round.

So overall we have like a 15% chance to produce a player who will do more in the NHL than Chipchura, but that's worth taking imo as he wasn't working out with the team - he was a negative contributor. The other 85% of the time where that late pick will be useful, all we'll get is another one of our prospects taking Chipchura's roster spot in either Hamilton or Montreal. Addition by subtraction.

The other point, my comment on bronze for gold aside, a draft pick is close to a liquid asset as it gets. It doesn't take up cap space or a roster spot so you can *almost* just add them up arbitrarily to get a better deal.

While many are taking the comments of the Detroit and St-Louis GMs at face value that they are

"Happy with their goaltending situations and not interested in Halak at this time`

I am not convinced 100%, does it mean I think Halak is gone today...no, do I think he`s out come March...likely.

There are a few teams that MAY need a solid goalie and Halak fits the bill. I just hope that whatever BG does he gets the offensive help we need out of that deal.

Archived